Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Diesel / History of (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/diesel-history-of-18497.html)

ChewChewTrain 03-27-2016 06:06 PM

Diesel / History of

Diesel fans will enjoy this documentary. This means YOU, Draigflag. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCA5pInfPpM

Draigflag 03-28-2016 01:03 AM

Wouldn't call myself a diesel fan as such, the same way you wouldn't call yourself a gasoline fan. A car has to suit ones needs, running costs are a major factor, diesels are much cheaper to run, and in most cases, better to drive. Hence why about 50-75% of people opt for them.

Video won't play here, some sort of copyright nonsense.

trollbait 03-28-2016 05:21 AM

Might need a proxy server then.

ChewChewTrain 03-28-2016 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 187681)
Video won't play here, some sort of copyright nonsense.

It's a BBC produced show, Draigflag. Oh. Thanks for paying your UK taxes to make a TV show that the "colonies" can watch, but YOU can't.

Draigflag 03-28-2016 07:13 AM

Yes exactly, I pay £150 a year for the license, although it's worth it not to have commercial breaks of any kind! I don't have a computer to mess about with, but I'll try and get it working.

benlovesgoddess 03-28-2016 12:23 PM

Never thought the day would come, but I have just traded in my constantly disappointing Hyundai i20 diesel for the latest Prius...hope it will give a similar mpg...!
Decided that comfort and driving pleasure could be more important than just economy. We drive 50 miles a day together, and the Prius much roomier than the i20. The car drove superbly, my first drive of an auto, and the CVT transmission a joy compared to my expectation of automatic gears.
Lots of fancy gadgets and lights, including a HUD!
So sorry Draigflag, though I always had your back in any pro-diesel argument, my loyalties may now be divided. Initially we went to test drive a 208 diesel, but it wasn't around till tomorrow, so we popped into Toyota....

Draigflag 03-28-2016 01:25 PM

Why are you apologising Ben? Everyone has the freedom of choice, other people's opinions and preferences matter little when it comes to personal decision making.

Congrats on the new car, it's always exciting getting a new car, I love the experience. I've considered hybrids in the past, but for me personally they offer too much of a compromise and have always been more expensive than a conventional car. Keep us posted with the fuel stats ;)

benlovesgoddess 03-28-2016 01:58 PM

Ha ha! Cheers mate. Yeah, it cost more than I wanted to pay (around £26,000) but comes loaded like no other car I've owned, and delivered a truly comfortable and impressive ride. One immediate niggle - comes with "17 alloys, the "15 ones have better economy figures and are an optional minus £400 to the sale price! Also need to brake to recharge batteries, so must unlearn no brakes style driving...Anyway, I ll post mpg figures soon as I get it, and empty the tank!

Draigflag 03-28-2016 11:12 PM

Is it the new 2016 model then? Yea my Clio has those brakes, regenerative, puts juice back into the battery. There's probably a mode you can select where the brakes are over-active so they kick in as soon as you come off the accelerator. You probably won't need to use the brakes in this instance, although I hear it can take a bit of getting used to. You'll probably find the economy will be slightly better around town than on the motorways etc. The average real MPG for the previous model according to honest John is 57 MPG, but I think the new one is better.

benlovesgoddess 03-29-2016 05:35 AM

Yeah, brand spanking new, new shape! Just been out here 1 month? US figures for it on here give 10 mpg more than the previous Prius. Had a choice of waiting till August or taking the one out of the showroom...white not my first colour choice, but love it in pearl. It is the 2nd spec down from the top (out of 4) - got more toys than I'll know what to do with! Just hope it's ready for me tomorrow...