Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   MPG conversions (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/mpg-conversions-18534.html)

LDB 04-06-2016 06:21 AM

MPG conversions

Apologies if this is in the wrong place or my search found it but my eyes couldn't see it.

Would it be difficult to have our Fuelly numbers show our mpg as it does now, in our home or primary mileage system, and then beneath that to show what it would be in other systems? By that I mean mine being U.S. mpg would show my current 49.8mpg but then it would also show xx.x UKmpg and yy.y IMPmpg and the same for everyone so we could more easily compare and contrast with our global online friends?

Draigflag 04-06-2016 08:44 AM

It's a nice idea, but there are so many different forms of fuel consumption measurements other than us mpg and UK MPG (9 alone on fuelly) where would you draw the line? Or is it just those two as they share the same method, but the quantities in the two different gallons are different?

If you click someones fuelly page, it should convert it over automatically for you, for example when I click yours, it shows your average as 59.8 UK MPG.

14Corolla 04-06-2016 12:11 PM

Just go with which one is the highest conversion. It looks best.
Forget the rest... :)

Draigflag 04-06-2016 12:25 PM

Not really as some methods measure fuel consumed over a set distance, for example "litres per 100 km" in which case lower is better! ;)

benlovesgoddess 04-06-2016 01:53 PM

Good idea LDB - I don't know enough about how the site works as to how easy or impossible that would be...the obvious drawback if it could be done, is either how small the font would be for all the various figures, or how big our signatures would be!

LDB 04-06-2016 03:53 PM

Maybe go with the 3 that have the most users?

LDB 04-06-2016 03:55 PM

Interesting. I didn't know it did that. It shows yours as 50.8mpg. Thanks!

benlovesgoddess 04-06-2016 08:24 PM

Yes, top 3 would work for me! You're showing up at 49.8 mpg - to convert to imperial mpg I multiply by 1.2 so probably 59.7 UK mpg? My old Hyundai shows up on yours 54/55 US mpg?

Draigflag 04-06-2016 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDB (Post 187927)
Interesting. I didn't know it did that. It shows yours as 50.8mpg. Thanks!

Yes either click the "fuelly page" link under thier username, or just click the signature if they have one. You'll notice all the mini stats you set up on your dashboard are shown on thier too so you can compare other stats too, average miles per fuel up, best mpg, cost per mile etc depending what you show. You see our economy is pretty close ;)

benlovesgoddess 04-07-2016 12:31 PM

Testing!https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-uk/425112.png

benlovesgoddess 04-07-2016 12:32 PM

Hmmm...seems I can add the new car signature, but how ro remove the old one...?!

Draigflag 04-07-2016 01:15 PM

Looks good Ben, was wondering when you were picking up the new car. Top of this page, click user cp, then edit signature, delete the code for the old one, then save at bottom.

LDB 04-07-2016 01:20 PM

Your Hyundai shows 53.4 when I click it and it converts. I'll be looking forward to following your new Prius. I almost wish now I'd waited but got a really good deal on my 2015. Maybe I'll upgrade in 2-3 years and maybe by then they'll sell the plug in model here in Texas.

benlovesgoddess 04-07-2016 01:45 PM

Thanks Paul (only just realised our names are on our profiles..)! Thought copying and pasting it into each thread was a bit much...! Cheers LDB - likewise, I immediately wondered if I should have held on till the plug-in Prime comes out in 9-12 months, or waited till August to choose a colour and leather seats...!
It was an impulse buy - we were browsing a Yaris Hybrid - but the missus wanted bigger. We spend 8 hours a week commuting together. We LOVE the Prius! Just had her one day, happy to he paying for her the next 6 years...Might look at swapping for the Prime, depending on the price and depreciation.

Draigflag 04-07-2016 02:12 PM

By the time you are ready to change cars again, the market will be flooded by plug ins. I dare say all but the cheapest city cars will be plug ins, just the way the market is going now, a slow but sure step towards full electric, but for the next few years, they want us to get used to the idea of using electricity as a fuel, whilst they continue expanding the infrastructure, and bringing battery costs down etc. Peugeot alone for example have 11 plug in models planned in the next few years.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the Prius, get some more pics up if you find the chance ;)

benlovesgoddess 04-07-2016 09:20 PM

I'll try and get some shots of it with a nice background. I never managed to put photos on here before - it's more complicated than "insert image", right...?!Says please use the URL of your image...so photos on Facebook and LinkedIn, you copy and paste what's in the top bar...? Can't just use pics on your laptop?

Draigflag 04-07-2016 11:13 PM

Yes you can upload them directly from the laptop/phone etc. Click go advanced next to the quick reply, then you'll see a file attachment icon, usually a paperclip like in your emails. A secondary window will pop up with about 5 empty slots to upload pics. When you click each one, it will ask where you want to upload them from. Then there's a upload files icon within that pop up box. You'll see them attached once they've done, could take a while if they're big. Close that secondary window and they should be attached to your reply. Good luck ;)

benlovesgoddess 04-09-2016 12:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, I either have or haven't added 4 pics, it is hard to tell at this stage...!

benlovesgoddess 04-09-2016 12:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, so here's the missing 2...

benlovesgoddess 04-09-2016 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Even the manual says you'll be lucky to get more than 0.6 miles in EV mode (battery only, no petrol) - but by switching to EV as I dropped into Scarborough, it took me down the hill and round both bays - 3.5 miles - on pure electricity!

benlovesgoddess 04-09-2016 12:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Seems to have a problem uploading photos - says its handling up to 4, but just 1 or two arrive...
...I love driving this car - made several unnecessary trips already this weekend!

Draigflag 04-09-2016 12:44 PM

There's usually a file size limit per upload, hence why only a few upload at a time. Looking good anyway, I'm undecided whether I like the design yet, it's just very quirky and angular and I'm used to curvy cars, but I think I'll like it if I see it in the metal. It's going to be fun experimenting with different driving techniques etc and seeing what you get economy wise. Enjoy anyway, that new car feeling is a great one but doesn't last forever so make the most of it! ;)

14Corolla 04-09-2016 01:08 PM

Congratulations... nice looking Prius...
Looks like cars are starting to get faces again...
You're has a nice mellow smile on it....eyes focused, not mean...

benlovesgoddess 04-09-2016 01:54 PM

Thanks 14Corolla - this is my first Toyota. I have always liked looking at any cars I've owned, but I really think the Prius is pretty, in the same way the Rover 75 is. As for driving styles, yeah, it will take some working out. It has 3 modes - normal, eco and power. I have just used eco so far, but will maybe experiment with normal next tank.

LDB 04-09-2016 03:31 PM

Nice photos. I especially like the 4th one showing the water crashing up. Very cool looking.

benlovesgoddess 04-09-2016 09:20 PM

Cheers! We went to Scarborough last night to play the mini golf for free - didn't risk it, as we would have got soaked! Made the most of it, got a couple of pics with the waves (the Castle is in the background of one of the photos too).

14Corolla 04-09-2016 10:23 PM

Since this is your first Toyota. Be warned... You may very well end up falling in love with it. :) Besides...it does look much better than years past.
I'm falling in love with my Corolla. Can't believe how accomodating it is. Little things Toyota made thoughtful. Am becoming overwhelmingly happy with my mileage. Even though it doesn't show yet in my average. It will.
I fell in love with a 84 Toyota Truck I owned. That was after I had paid it off. It just kept going and going. It saved me so much money. I fell in love with it.

benlovesgoddess 04-10-2016 03:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This might work...

benlovesgoddess 04-10-2016 05:08 AM

Cheers 14Corolla- i'm glad you're as enamoured with your ride. I have already fallen in love - probably enough (mpg dependant!) to dismiss the thought of switching to a Prime at the earliest available opportunity. Also, we've overspent a little - as I guess the Prime will be an extra £5-£10,000 above our current model, and has one less seat, let's hope me and this beauty become inseparable!

14Corolla 04-15-2016 12:29 AM

I'm wondering what the difference is between normal and eco on your Prius? I saw you're getting 60.8 UK mpg. Noticed 90% highway. I would have thought it could do better? I admit that's a naive question.
Does it show on the computer how much you use the electric?

Draigflag 04-15-2016 01:07 AM

Most hybrids do better around town, where they will tend to use more electric power and benefit from lots of kinetic braking etc. On the highway, a diesel will nearly always be more efficient.

benlovesgoddess 04-15-2016 04:24 AM

Yeah, there's a lot to fathom out! I think the eco setting makes the throttle response less (easier to accelerate gently, keep in the "green" zone), and the power setting increases throttle response, much harder to accelerate gently, straight into the "red" zone. Of my "highway" less than half is fairly level single carriageway "A" roads, the rest hilly, narrow and potholed country roads. I did hope for a bit better, but still happy to beat my old i20s first tank. There is very little EV range, it shows on-board how the power is flowing nicely. I think pulse and glide is better, will have to test. Being harassed to play darts, better go!

LDB 04-15-2016 06:23 AM

It seems to me the difference in the settings is how far you depress the pedal for a given amount of throttle response with Eco being the least sensitive and taking the most pedal travel for a given response. That seems to make it easier to stay out of the power zone and get the best mpg as a result. Normal is just normal and Power setting seems to be like adding another cog so it moves the throttle more for a given amount of pedal travel. I've only tried Power once or twice for just a few minutes so I don't have much experience with it. Just my impressions from a few months and a few thousand miles, nothing technical or official. I hope it's clear enough to make some sense.

benlovesgoddess 04-15-2016 10:47 AM

Thanks LDB, bet you're right - my Maxpower colleague guessed the PWR setting may firm suspension too, but I doubt it, think he's imagining some BMW sports sedan!
Tried leaving it in normal all day, seemed to end the day on a worse figure so popped back in ECO - in case it has other hidden benefits. Should really read the full manual, but 800 pages...maybe asking stuff in Prius Chat is easier!

Draigflag 04-15-2016 10:51 AM

You'll get the hang of it Ben, practise makes perfect, you've only just started learning.

P.s. Accordingly to Fuelly, it's your Birthday today LDB, have a good one ;)

RobertV 04-15-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDB (Post 187916)
Apologies if this is in the wrong place or my search found it but my eyes couldn't see it.

Would it be difficult to have our Fuelly numbers show our mpg as it does now, in our home or primary mileage system, and then beneath that to show what it would be in other systems? By that I mean mine being U.S. mpg would show my current 49.8mpg but then it would also show xx.x UKmpg and yy.y IMPmpg and the same for everyone so we could more easily compare and contrast with our global online friends?

Are you referring to your Forum signature or in general when looking at your Fuelly Profile?

When browsing the site, users have the ability to change their display units-
FAQ: How do I view Fuelly data in metric units?

If you're wanting to have your forums sig/badge in different units, you can do so when getting the html/BB code for the image.
You'll see this at the top-
Quote:

Fuelly signature is a way to share your mileage at bulletin boards you participate in.

This page is showing banners with fuel economy units in _dropdown menu__
Just select the units you'd like and use the code generated.

For those unsure how to get your Forum sig-
FAQ: How do I use a Fuelly forum signature/badge?

LDB 04-15-2016 04:47 PM

I was thinking it would be cool if signatures showed 2-3 so when I'm talking to my UK friends above we each see mpg in our native version and theirs also. Whatever the top 2-3 are.

LDB 04-15-2016 04:50 PM

Thanks Ben. I spent the day looking at the green side of the grass so it was a good day.

trollbait 04-18-2016 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benlovesgoddess (Post 187978)
Even the manual says you'll be lucky to get more than 0.6 miles in EV mode (battery only, no petrol) - but by switching to EV as I dropped into Scarborough, it took me down the hill and round both bays - 3.5 miles - on pure electricity!

Yes and not really on driving on electric with a hybrid. Unless it has a plug, all the energy for those electric miles originated in the gasoline. Timing EV mode so it keeps the engine from firing up at points where you know it will only run for a short time can help fuel economy.

Use it too much, and the it will drop your fuel economy as the car will run the engine longer later on to recharge the battery.

Toyota included EV mode as a convenience device to allow moving the car between parking spots, or out of the garage to wash it, without having the ICE come an perform the warm up sequence for a trip it isn't going on.

Draigflag 04-18-2016 08:51 AM

From the reviews I've read, it's near impossible to accelerate, even when being extremely gentle, without the ICE kicking in when in EV mode. Maybe they will resolve this with a software update.