Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Running Gear (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   How I made my shitty auto torque converter lock up without an auto ecu (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/how-i-made-my-shitty-auto-torque-converter-lock-up-without-an-auto-ecu-1854.html)

SVOboy 03-28-2006 03:23 PM

How I made my shitty auto torque converter lock up without an auto ecu

Well, I was like ***, I want my torque converter. Depinned the pin that runs to it, gave it 12v on a switch. Switched it at 35mph, nothing happen, left it and hit 38 (where it normally goes), and wow, it hit.

So, I assume mine works by just always getting power (except during cold start) and then engaging based on pressure.

Just something to know.

krousdb 03-28-2006 03:39 PM

So you will just supply 12V

So you will just supply 12V all of the time? Switch always on? I can't imagine why you would want to switch it off.

SVOboy 03-28-2006 03:53 PM

I switch it on after it

I switch it on after it warms a bit, the torque converter might die if I run it on cold fluid (like I care, but yakno). I got a call from honda today so hopefully when I call back I'll get good news about my internship.

krousdb 03-28-2006 03:57 PM

Good luck with the

Good luck with the internship at Honda. Does that mean you will get a discount on parts? :)

SVOboy 03-28-2006 04:02 PM

Thanks. Like I'd buy parts

Thanks.

Like I'd buy parts there. I should be able to pimp their tools and lifts and ****. My idea is to auto to manual it up in there.

Compaq888 03-28-2006 06:11 PM

Isn't it the same as turning

Isn't it the same as turning OD off on new cars??? Like if you turn it off the torque converter unlocks?

SVOboy 03-28-2006 06:13 PM

I spose if you want to think

I spose if you want to think of it that way you can. I think of it as a 5th gear really.

Compaq888 03-28-2006 06:16 PM

I thought thought my car was

I thought my car was slow whenever I went WOT because of the torque converter. But my car accelarates faster with OD on. The problem is my car runs so rich that 3rd gear WOT is as slow as accelarating normally in 4th gear. That's a lot of fuel wasted for nothing.

rh77 03-28-2006 09:29 PM

Re: I thought thought my car was

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
I thought my car was slow whenever I went WOT because of the torque converter. But my car accelarates faster with OD on. The problem is my car runs so rich that 3rd gear WOT is as slow as accelarating normally in 4th gear. That's a lot of fuel wasted for nothing.

Whether or not the O/D switch is on is independent of the torque converter. At WOT, the TC generally won't engage until you reach triple-digit speeds or you let off of the gas. Back in the days of running the 'Teg, the TC would engage at top gear around 4000-5000 RPMs (about 110-120 mph). Saturn SL auto-trannies are really wierd -- their TCs engage at wierd times, like 3rd gear at 40 and kick in and out randomly -- never driven something like it. Because of the gobs of torque, the non-turbo diesel ambulances I drove generally kicked the TC-in at 2nd gear. During normal accel from a stop: 1st to about 1500 rpms, shift to 2nd, up to 1300-1500 then a "slide" feeling when the TC kicked-in, drops it 200, then 3rd caught almost right after the engagement. We had O/D buttons too, but it would just keep you out of 4th.

Bottom line: the O/D button does nothing but the equivalent of shifting into "4" or "3" (depending on 5-speed or 4-speed autos, respectively).

SVOboy- The Teg is the same way, it's temperature based to be "ready" (like your constant voltage), then after the engine and trans. sensor warms up, it waits for the right speed. Then it depends on either the throttle input or pressure on it to kick-in. Once it's engaged, I can keep it there until like 1500 rpms then it just lets go as it's programmed. I'd love to know how it decides all this stuff.

RH77

Compaq888 03-28-2006 10:21 PM

I wish my tq converter could

I wish my tq converter could kick in whenever I wanted it. I want it in 3rd around the streets too.

Actually you're wrong on the O/D button. Whenever I turn the OD off doesn't matter what gear I am the rpms jump up and the engine lugs around. As soon as I let go off the gas it feels like the engine is doing the braking. It feels as if the car gained 30 more hp. It pulls harder. But for topend(really high speeds) it's slow. For speeds below 80mph the OD off will gives me more power. I guess I forgot to turn it off when racing against the civic. My cousin who was riding shotgun said I only beat him by half a car. At the track I always race with OD off. So far I'm .3 of a second faster than a stock altima from a factory and I'm 100% stock all the way down to the air filter.

My TQ only locks up if OD is on and i'm at 37mph or higher and light on the gas pedal.

n0rt0npr0 03-29-2006 07:32 AM

OD

...is an actual Gear C-888

The Torque Converter Clutch lockup is a phantom gear. It's pure fluid driven.

Compaq888 03-29-2006 10:51 AM

Re: OD

Quote:

Originally Posted by n0rt0npr0
...is an actual Gear C-888

The Torque Converter Clutch lockup is a phantom gear. It's pure fluid driven.

Then why is it that when I turn OD off my car pulls harder in every gear??? and uses engine braking when I let go off the gas???

This voo doo thing is weird

n0rt0npr0 03-29-2006 12:04 PM

lol

hard to explain to you in text format...

The OD on/off exists for possible driving situations. Mainly towing. If you are towing, you will need to have firmer shifts (to reduce SLIPPAGE (which creates heat) in the tranny), engine braking (so as to reduce the possibility of the brakes overheating) and will keep your RPM's higher as you will not be using OD which IS fourth gear.

The possibility also exists that while you switch OD off, your engine timing changes to where you have a different power band. Your engines computer may trade ecomomy for low RPM TORQUE in this sense so you are more prepared to tow a load behind you.

I'm just being general but I would suggest for a more explicit answer to email Nissan. They were very very knowledgable at this years Detroit auto show, you should have PM'd me to ask them for you then!

Compaq888 03-29-2006 12:13 PM

I went for a Drive here is

I went for a Drive here is some comparison

OD on OD off
feels like slipping Feels like tranny connected to engine
wants to coast doesn't want to coast
less power more power
wastes less gas 2000rpm wastes more gas 2000rpm
bad for racing very good for racing up to 80

n0rt0npr0 03-29-2006 12:15 PM

very good! Your butt dyno

very good! Your butt dyno is working!

Compaq888 03-29-2006 12:16 PM

I went for a Drive here is

I went for a Drive here is some comparison

OD on
feels like slipping
wants to coast
less power
wastes less gas 2000rpm
bad for racing

OD off
Feels like tranny connected to engine
doesn't want to coast
more power
wastes more fuel 2000rpm
very good for racing up to 80mph

Compaq888 03-29-2006 12:18 PM

Re: very good! Your butt dyno

Quote:

very good! Your butt dyno is working!

It's not really butt dyno, I got track slips to prove it.

OD on and leaving in D=17.3

OD off and manually shifting=16.9

also if you mess with the pressure sensor you can have it off during wot and it will cut off another .1-.2 off your 1/4 mile time.

rh77 03-29-2006 06:54 PM

Re: lol

Quote:

hard to explain to you in text format...

The OD on/off exists for possible driving situations. Mainly towing. If you are towing, you will need to have firmer shifts (to reduce SLIPPAGE (which creates heat) in the tranny), engine braking (so as to reduce the possibility of the brakes overheating) and will keep your RPM's higher as you will not be using OD which IS fourth gear.

You know, I mis-spoke and forgot about this. My folks had an old Nissan Pathfinder with an indepedent button for "power" and "economy" in addition to the O/D on-off. Power-mode would rev the tach higher between shifts, shift harder, and was automatically engaged with a switch in the floor, under the gas pedal, for WOT "emergencies". (we all hated to drive that vehicle, ugh).

Many cars have a "normal" and "power" transmission selection mode so the car will behave in a performance manner under the power-mode. Nissan may have rolled all of this into the O/D off switch. Not only would you stay out of top gear, the transmission might shift with performance in mind. Much of my experience was limited to Fords, which, for the most part, had a fancy way to shift the column down to "3", with the press of a button.

The next time I rent a Nissan, I'll have to mess with the O/D switch (which may be tomorrow).

RH77