Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   BREXIT: Paul and Ben, your thoughts? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/brexit-paul-and-ben-your-thoughts-18711.html)

ChewChewTrain 06-23-2016 08:19 PM

BREXIT: Paul and Ben, your thoughts?

Just wondering what you guys think about the UK leaving the EU?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjjFAj8V-I0

Draigflag 06-24-2016 01:16 AM

We usually get told off for talking politics on here. I didn't vote, I'm trying to have as little to do with politics as is possible, I'll pay my taxes the same as everyone else but that's it. I have no trust in any politicians, especially those who rent out "abandoned" second homes for income, and spend public money on duck houses.

On saying that, I think we should have remained, too late now of course. The majority of the vote leave voters were aged 65+, old racist people still obsessed with the War and immigration, which the EU referendum sadly became involved with. So we young uns (the majority of which voted stay) have longer to live the decision of the older generation, whether it's a good decision or not, time will tell...

Do you think the US is better since it became independent from the UK?

ChewChewTrain 06-24-2016 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 189309)
Do you think the US is better since it became independent from the UK?

Hmmm. I dunno. (shrug) In general, other than our current big business, political corruption, I suppose things didn't turn out too badly. It just blows my mind how 350m people can devote so much financial resources to the war industry.

I do know, if the French didn't finance the American colonial war to fight England, we'd all be speaking English today. ;)

Interestingly, I read somewhere that the German language was 1 vote away from becoming the official language of the colonies.

You may like this. On Quora, someone asked, "What if America had lost the revolutionary war?"

https://www.quora.com/What-if-the-Am...olutionary-War

benlovesgoddess 06-24-2016 03:57 AM

I voted remain, I think overall it would benefit us more to have remained.

benlovesgoddess 06-24-2016 04:00 AM

Paul, it was so close, had you made it to the polling station you may have swung it for us....!

benlovesgoddess 06-24-2016 05:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This just made me laugh though!

Draigflag 06-24-2016 08:43 AM

Poor Dave, will just have to carry on renting out his house, which he is already doing for £8000 a month (on top of his wage...)

There are plenty of "what if's" but we can tease ourselves all day about those. It should be about "what nows" they are what matter from now on. Bah I hate politics!

14Corolla 06-24-2016 03:22 PM

From everything I've read. I thought Brexit had to do mostly with all the Muslim's from the Middle East, pouring into England? That the people in England disagreed with the EU policy of welcoming them. EU is regretting this, but not doing anything about it?
I think the US is much better off independent of the UK. After all... Since then. We now have cars, microwaves, and even those cute little cappuccino machines. :)

From my personal effect from this. Right now I'm buying a home. Lender said the interest rate isn't locked in yet. Went from 3% to 3.25% in the time it took to actually sign the loan papers. He said they expected interest rates to go up. Could end up higher. Well... Brexit is just about guaranteeing my interest rate will not go higher. Might come down some by the time I close.

ChewChewTrain 06-24-2016 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benlovesgoddess (Post 189312)
Paul, it was so close, had you made it to the polling station you may have swung it for us....!

Draigflag did NOT vote?! Oh, brother. Paul, how could you? :rolleyes:

Draigflag 06-25-2016 12:14 AM

No, I along with about 30,000,000 other didn't vote. Apparently the second most Googled thing in the UK AFTER the referendum results was "what is the EU?" sounds like the idiots voting didn't even know what they were voting for...

What kind of ridiculous story suggested Muslims were to do with anything? No doubt Trump came up with some stupid fairytale, I've noticed how he's made some non existent link between Terrorism and Muslims, and some people in the US (God help them) actually believe him now. Brexit might be a bad decision but wow, if Trump makes it to presidency, then the World is in big trouble.

benlovesgoddess 06-25-2016 01:56 AM

Yeah! I stopped reading and watching the news years ago, to try and protect my serenity...! Most politicians seem to be greedy liars. There is unaccountable corruption in the EU as there is anywhere, but remaining a member we could change it for better while continuing to receive all the economic fraternal benefits of being part of team. It is telling how the rest of the world perceive the brexit cause - especially with farage directly copying Nazi propaganda images and sentiments against their choice of "untermensches", f#cking ukip scum!

14Corolla 06-25-2016 10:23 AM

Geesh!... :eek: .... It's rather obvious why you people don't talk politics. :lol:

ChewChewTrain 06-25-2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14Corolla (Post 189325)
Geesh!... :eek: .... It's rather obvious why you people don't talk politics. :lol:

I love my UK, fuel saving brothers for we are two countries separated by a common language.

Some day Paul and Ben will speak proper American English. :D

Draigflag 06-25-2016 01:39 PM

There's so much hate and violence in the World anyway, politicians just tap into the hate, find a way of familiarising it to the people, and then feed the hate and fan the flames. I'm far to chilled out to be manipulated into a product of thiers ha!

benlovesgoddess 06-26-2016 02:42 AM

Ha ha ha! Thats right folks, lets keep it upbeat - no more politics, lets keep it strictly vehicle based conversation from now on. Light hearted topics only please....

Draigflag 06-28-2016 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This made me chuckle earlier!

ChewChewTrain 06-28-2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 189386)
This made me chuckle earlier!

OUCH!

Hey, Paul! How easy is it to pop the clutch to roll start a diesel engine? I'm guessing all that torque makes the car slow down so much that it's too bothersome.

14Corolla 06-28-2016 01:51 PM

I do think it is interesting. From every news source across the ocean and here that I'm paying attention to. We may be watching the formation of 'the two young lions' from the Book of Revelations. Britain and the US. If so, I find it a relief.

Draigflag 06-28-2016 01:51 PM

You mean bump starting? I've always bump started cars in 2nd gear, no idea if it's any more difficult or easier in a diesel to be honest, why do you ask?

benlovesgoddess 06-28-2016 01:53 PM

Bump starting one? A regular diesel can be push started by one person pushing. I had to tow start a diesel Transit van once though, too heavy!

Draigflag 06-28-2016 01:56 PM

It's hard to get a true picture of what's actually happening. Mainstream media only reports about 1% of what's going on, but for some people that's enough to apply it to the other 99% and form opinions based on the 1%. It really bugs me, it's why I try and stay away from main stream media and social media where one single event can go viral. When you actually dig deeper and uncover the facts, what's actually happening is usually the exact opposite of what's being reported.

ChewChewTrain 06-28-2016 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14Corolla (Post 189391)
I do think it is interesting. From every news source across the ocean and here that I'm paying attention to. We may be watching the formation of 'the two young lions' from the Book of Revelations. Britain and the US. If so, I find it a relief.

Bit rusty on bible stuff. THEN what happens after this?

ChewChewTrain 06-28-2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 189394)
It's hard to get a true picture of what's actually happening. Mainstream media only reports about 1% of what's going on, but for some people that's enough to apply it to the other 99% and form opinions based on the 1%. It really bugs me, it's why I try and stay away from main stream media and social media where one single event can go viral. When you actually dig deeper and uncover the facts, what's actually happening is usually the exact opposite of what's being reported.

AGREED! Interesting stuff on YouTube concerning European immigration issues, which mainstream media won't properly report and politicians show little concern for local citizens. The ONLY news that I trust is that Paul and Ben are reporting their true MPG.

ChewChewTrain 06-28-2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14Corolla (Post 189325)

I'm NOT talking politics. I'm COMPLAINING about politics! :D

ChewChewTrain 06-28-2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 189392)
You mean bump starting? I've always bump started cars in 2nd gear, no idea if it's any more difficult or easier in a diesel to be honest, why do you ask?

Yeah. Bump starting. If I choose too low a gear to bump start my car, the car will nearly stop.

With all the torque, I was thinking bump starting a diesel engine would be much, much harder. Yes?

R.I.D.E. 06-28-2016 05:10 PM

Poli=many
Tics=blood sucking leaches

14Corolla 06-28-2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain (Post 189396)
Bit rusty on bible stuff. THEN what happens after this?

It's not good at all what happens next. From what I see of the general public? They're asking for it. It ain't gonna be pretty. Should read it for yourself.

On push starting a diesel. Get it in a low gear. It's the easiest. Fires right up. Just don't let the car get away from you.

benlovesgoddess 06-28-2016 10:16 PM

Never had problem bump starting a diesel (I've had to do it on several old cars, 2nd gear is the right choice, just don't let the clutch pedal rise till you're really rolling though!).
I avoid the news to miss out on all the horror stories and politics, it's bad enough it recently invaded my personal space in the office. Let's keep religion and politics out of our geeky mpg convos.
And thinking about it, we should probably not talk about sex either....

Draigflag 06-28-2016 11:13 PM

Politics always ends in tears...and resignations ;)