Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Spark Plug Tricks (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/spark-plug-tricks-1878.html)

SVOboy 04-03-2006 08:14 AM

Spark Plug Tricks

See here: https://crxmpg.com/plugindexing.html

krousdb 04-03-2006 08:49 AM

Dude! From the looks of

Dude! From the looks of your plugs it would appear that you have issues with 2 of the 4 cylinders. Or did you paint the electrodes black just for kicks?

Matt Timion 04-03-2006 09:38 AM

Re: Dude! From the looks of

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
Dude! From the looks of your plugs it would appear that you have issues with 2 of the 4 cylinders. Or did you paint the electrodes black just for kicks?

I was actually thinking he had issues with at least three cylinders. The white tip means it's burning too lean. THe black tip means too rich.

Time for a d15z1 SVOBoy :P

n0rt0npr0 04-03-2006 09:56 AM

*note to GM 60°V6 engine

*note to GM 60°V6 engine owners* (Larry and me...)

Both the authors *preffered* NGK V-Power and Denso U-Groove plugs are too cold a heat range for your NA 60°V6 engine.

However those that are running very high boost will be very happy that these are three heat ranges too cold! :)

SVO, your plugs are oil nasty! lol Can't believe you didn't mention changing your wires! These plugs are waaay past overdue!
Your insulators color look okay tho. The electrode shows you been driving lots of *short trips*
Good writeup!! :D

krousdb 04-03-2006 10:18 AM

Re: Dude! From the looks of

duplicate

SVOboy 04-03-2006 10:21 AM

I have only driven on these

I have only driven on these plugs for like 5k, they're denso and ****ty.

They are not white tipped, they are sort of golden brown, which according to my reading guide says they're good. The two are covered in black but they don't have deposits or anything, and they're not ****ed up, so I dunno. I'll talk to disco about this tonight.

Anyway, I might change my wires soon, I have no money to do it now but I might as well do it. The oil seals in my head are **** which is why the oil has leaked down all over my plugs.

We'll see about this engine, any tips on what I should look at internally as a just in case type of thing?

n0rt0npr0 04-03-2006 10:32 AM

svo

I wouldnt worry about anything mechanical. You would've said you hear something if indeed there was something mechanical going on.

I will say that oil KILLS your plug wires, and your going to use them while they are dead! Which not only may give you misfire and non-linear currents going to your cylinders, but may foul your new plugs out.

Your oil leak is bad bad bad. Five thousand miles and all that oil! Either you fix that gasket, or lessen the leak using an xW40 weight oil and Valvoline Maxlife in a little red bottle. I gotta recommend the MaxLife IF you don't wanna change your oil. Hell put two of them in! They work really good.

Matt Timion 04-03-2006 11:23 AM

Just curious to know

Just curious to know something.

On a 16 valve car there are two intake valves and two exhaust valves per cylinder. Is it best to aim the spark plug directly towards the center of the two exhaust valves or towards one of them?

n0rt0npr0 04-03-2006 11:53 AM

I'd say in the middle of the

I'd say in the middle of the two exhaust valves. Maybe just aim that open side of the plug for the general exhaust side of the CC if its too difficult to actually "know" where the exact middle would be.
For those that have the heads off, of course it would be easy to hit the middle.

SVOboy 04-03-2006 01:07 PM

The oil leak is leaking from

The oil leak is leaking from the oil seals around the valve cover gasket, it leaks about a tablespoon of oil everytime I take the plugs out and no more. It's not and oil leak as much as it is a few bad gaskets.