Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Greater MPG with a chess clock? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/greater-mpg-with-a-chess-clock-18785.html)

ChewChewTrain 07-25-2016 09:10 PM

Greater MPG with a chess clock?

Because I engine-off-coast a lot, I was thinking of driving with a chess clock. One clock would keep track of how much time I drove with the engine on. The other clock would reflect how much time I spend with the engine off.

Okay. Rip me apart. :eek: Thoughts?

benlovesgoddess 07-25-2016 09:42 PM

The Prius tells you how much of each journey is spent using EV power alone (the remaining figure for the ICE use, as i dont EOC!).
You have to move through a few screens to see this, i rarely bother - but it proves fairly high, like 47% EV.
I supposed for me i could do with seeing how much of each journey would be;
1, ICE
2, EV
3, charging battery with engine off
I also have assisted acceleration, where battery and engine work together.
So i'd need 3 or 4 chess clocks - as i wont even put my old Scanguage E on my uncluttered dash, that wont be happening!
As long as it wouldn't dangerously interfere with your level of concentration, i guess it's worth a try.
I experimented by driving late at night on quiet roads - virtually no traffic meant i could dawdle along at 25 mph, maximising my EV use.
I guess its similar to submarines - they could travel 80 miles at 2 knots submerged, but less than a quarter of that at 8 knots. The slower i go, the more EV range i get from the battery.
I managed an indicated 95 mpg over 35 miles, while having to drive at the same speed as traffic during the day, 65 mpg indicated would be the best i could expect. The improvement came from the longer times my engine was off, either charging on downhills or using little battery power to pootle along for far longer sections than possible with a 4 x 4 or an Audi close behind.
Viz did a top tip once, something like; "Audi drivers, make sure your seat is as far forward as it will go to get even closer to the car in front"

Draigflag 07-26-2016 09:21 AM

The Gti I had at the weekend timed how long the engine was off for during light/junction stops etc. A chess clock is a bit old Skool, and any time spent looking away from the road is risky. Don't do it Doug!

trollbait 07-27-2016 06:47 AM

Probably not useful for what you want, but there are engine clocks to track hours on. Some work trucks once came with them. I think hybrids should have them for tracking ICE service instead of miles.

ChewChewTrain 07-27-2016 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 190022)
Probably not useful for what you want, but there are engine clocks to track hours on. Some work trucks once came with them. I think hybrids should have them for tracking ICE service instead of miles.

Thanks, Trollbait Yeah. I remember propeller airplanes have Engine Hour metering, since they won't know when to change the oil at every 5,000 miles.

I'm leaning towards, Ben's idea of lining up 20 chess clocks atop his dashboard.

benlovesgoddess 07-28-2016 01:09 AM

You may find an app on a smartphone that provides multi clocks on your phones touchscreen, I used to use one that gave you your average speed and top speed along with a digital speedometer.
And good luck with anything that stops dealers squeezing their services closer together....the Hyundai manual stated it needed a service every 12,000 miles or one year, yet the dealers had decided it was 10,000 miles or one year. That was the service plan you needed to maintain your warranty.

ChewChewTrain 07-28-2016 05:54 AM

An phone app with multiple timers is a BRILLIANT suggestion, Ben! A chess clock looks pretty dorky. THANKS!