Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   New From Beautiful British Columbia (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/new-from-beautiful-british-columbia-18818.html)

BlueRover 08-09-2016 09:06 AM

New From Beautiful British Columbia

Just updated to a slightly used 2016 Discovery Sport (gas no diesel in Canada) and looking forward to some long road trips next year. Naturally driving a heavy car not interested in hyper miling LOL:pump: but always interested in what other owners with similar vehicles are getting for L/100KM.

Normally check fuel consumption to see if any large changes occur that may be warning of problems with the car.

Draigflag 08-09-2016 11:40 AM

Welcome, enjoy the new ride. Is that the new shape discovery? Nice looking SUV, my friend has one. Petrol versions are very rare here, very rare, currently on Autotrader 99% are diesel.

BlueRover 08-09-2016 01:50 PM

Very few Diesels in Canada, a shame because the high torque of the Diesel provides a very smooth ride with few gear changes. would be very nice in the mountains around my home.

I think VW may have drastically slowed down sales in North America.

gonzobob 08-16-2016 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRover (Post 190309)
Naturally driving a heavy car not interested in hyper miling

Welcome!

I thought that hypermiling was simply getting better fuel efficiency than the manufacturer's estimate. In other words, you can hypermile in any vehicle.

My previous vehicle was not very fuel efficient: EPA 18 MPG city/25 MPG highway for a compact sedan! But I routinely exceeded that getting ~24-30 MPG. Then ~4 years ago, I read a little on hypermiling, bought an UltraGauge, and increased those numbers to ~26-35 MPG.

BlueRover 08-16-2016 11:01 AM

Not interested in inflating tires to dangerous pressures to increase braking and steering safety and not reducing tire live by doing so.
Not interested in following semi's so closely that the driver is distracted.
Not interested in driving slowly to impede traffic or cause large semis to have to make dangerous manoeuvres around me to pass.
Not interested in shutting off engine and coasting, since almost all cars rely on the engine running to operate the electric steering and the ABS braking system "that does not run on vacuum"

Interested in proper maintenance, safe driving practises, not racing around and being considerate to fellow motorists

gonzobob 08-16-2016 11:43 AM

You don't have to do any of those things. I don't, yet I consider myself a hypermiler.

Draigflag 08-16-2016 01:08 PM

Yea I wouldn't recommend any of those things, I'd consider that extreme hypermiling and dangerous. But you can apply fuel saving techniques to any vehicle, it's not just about driving slow, in many instances you'll get to your destination in the same time period, sometimes quicker. It's more about learning when to accelerate and decelerate and making the most of the energy available and making it last.

BlueRover 08-16-2016 01:34 PM

I read some of the "Tips" and some of them scare me. Both from the advise and some misconceptions owners have as to the working of modern cars.

benlovesgoddess 08-16-2016 02:07 PM

Dude, the tips can be added by anyone with a computer - they generally have a thumbs up or down score that combined with common sense, allows you to pick the good ones and ignore the stupid ones.
I have to drive in a manner that is courteous to other road users, doesnt piss off the wife, and gets me where i need or want to be in a reasonable amount of time.
Been reading on Prius chat of the holy grail pulse & glide method (i've always misunderstood it), but it involves a max 41 mph and lots of trndling down to 20....i can only mess about with this if i'm alone in the car on deserted roads.
I enjoy trying to achieve the maximum economy with the car i have and the journeys i take.
To help, i picked a particularly economical car, but i try and squeeze as many mpg out of the Honda too.
Even van driving, i tried to get from 25-27 mpg...as this is a fuel economy haven, the mpg geeks should get to be the "norms" and those disinterested in improving economy can take the fuel weirdo role instead!