Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Official Thread for posting daily FE updates (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/official-thread-for-posting-daily-fe-updates-1894.html)

MetroMPG 03-08-2007 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto (Post 43175)
The temperatures are definately ripe for some good FE:)

Wish I could say the same here. Currently -14C, forecasting -20 over night. That said, the long range forecast shows above freezing daytime temps - touch wood - every day next week. Is winter's back broken? I hope so!

Peakster 03-08-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 43176)
Currently -14C, forecasting -20 over night. That said, the long range forecast shows above freezing daytime temps - touch wood - every day next week. Is winter's back broken? I hope so!

Yeah it's +5*C here right now, so hopefully some of that heat blows your way MetroMPG. It's not all downhill right now though: there's huge ponds of water on the roads because the storm drains are clogged with ice.

red91sit 03-08-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 43200)
Yeah it's +5*C here right now, so hopefully some of that heat blows your way MetroMPG. It's not all downhill right now though: there's huge ponds of water on the roads because the storm drains are clogged with ice.

Ooh i wish we had some of that here! I've got the Lincoln up to the big metal bumper in water once, she started like hyrdoplaning at 10 mph though, that was weird.

Peakster 03-08-2007 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red91sit (Post 43242)
Ooh i wish we had some of that here! I've got the Lincoln up to the big metal bumper in water once, she started like hyrdoplaning at 10 mph though, that was weird.

He hehe, that reminds me of the time I drove through really deep water in my Fiero. It was one of those freak rainfalls that outspaced the storm drain capacity in several areas. The water was actually spilling over onto the hood, surrounding the pop-up headlights, and steam was forming on the back window. 2 young boys were pointing and laughing while I went through. It's amazing how deep a car can go in water as long as you drive really slow.

rh77 03-09-2007 05:10 AM

Turn Around, Don't Drown

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 43245)
It's amazing how deep a car can go in water as long as you drive really slow.

...or really fast:

https://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL698.../236467667.jpg

Actually, the National Weather Service is promoting a "Turn Around, Don't Drown" campaign. Too many people are driving onto flooded roadways, resulting in some "conseqences".

But yeah, I can recall driving my old Civic DX in a pouring rain and hitting a 2"+ puddled area at a blocked storm drain -- couldn't see it until schwoom! It stalled out and I coasted into a parking lot. I'm certain the engine sucked-up some water as it took a quite a bit of cranking and sputtering to get it going again. Someone saw it happen and stopped to check if the engine was grenaded. I'm surprised that poor car lasted as long as it did, and the engine didn't blow to smitherines (remember: water doesn't compress, and neither does snow, as I learned in that car the year previous).

RH77

red91sit 03-09-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 43264)
...or really fast:

https://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL698.../236467667.jpg

Actually, the National Weather Service is promoting a "Turn Around, Don't Drown" campaign. Too many people are driving onto flooded roadways, resulting in some "conseqences".

But yeah, I can recall driving my old Civic DX in a pouring rain and hitting a 2"+ puddled area at a blocked storm drain -- couldn't see it until schwoom! It stalled out and I coasted into a parking lot. I'm certain the engine sucked-up some water as it took a quite a bit of cranking and sputtering to get it going again. Someone saw it happen and stopped to check if the engine was grenaded. I'm surprised that poor car lasted as long as it did, and the engine didn't blow to smitherines (remember: water doesn't compress, and neither does snow, as I learned in that car the year previous).

RH77

lol, snow compresses silly, ever step on the stuff? My problem is it gets into my ECU and Distributor, other wise i could go through more.

Silveredwings 03-10-2007 04:15 AM

There was a few years where the Ford Exploder was just a high powered wetvac. Ford, of course, denied it had anything to do with their moving the engine intake to just below the front bumper.:rolleyes:

red91sit 03-10-2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings (Post 43388)
There was a few years where the Ford Exploder was just a high powered wetvac. Ford, of course, denied it had anything to do with their moving the engine intake to just below the front bumper.:rolleyes:

lol, as if I didnt' think it poorly designed arleady! I really don't understand how something like this sells so well! There's this, the rollovers, the unsafeness of the whole thing, and of course the crap for gas mileage factor.:confused: Sooo many stoopid people in this world.

On a side note, I got an average of 26.7 mpg today :D It was real windy again, if it wasn't I bet I would have got near 30. I think these helped a little bit too ( didn't test them yet, I"m planning on adding a ton of carboard then on a calm not gusty day, testing them by taking one off at a time.)
https://www.imagestation.com/picture/...e/ea5e2647.jpg

rh77 03-10-2007 01:15 PM

That sucks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings (Post 43388)

For an extra 2 horsepower at 3700 RPM. Ford intakes don't surprise me...

Red -- that's awesome! I think the "Continental Kit" (where the spare tire was integrated into the trunk) included rear half-wheel covers. I wonder if there were some aftermarket for your car?

bowtieguy 08-06-2008 05:29 PM

BUMP!

took a trip to Tampa(from Orlando) achieving 47 MPG(46.9). not too bad considering a/c was used and no EOC.

got it by drafting, using pulse and glide, and driving under 65 MPH.

no doubt could have reached 50 w/ EOC or straight gas, perhaps even w/out a/c.

if i told someone outside of this forum that i drove from Orlando to Tampa (~82miles) on less than 2 gal of gas, they prolly wouldn't believe it.