Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Who's got a short shifter? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/whos-got-a-short-shifter-1909.html)

SVOboy 04-08-2006 09:16 AM

one this to help with their shift speeds? The throw in my mom's camry is a bit of a pain in the ass when you're accelerating lightly, and the short shifter is only like 10 shipped for my c...

Has anyone done this to help with their shift speeds? The throw in my mom's camry is a bit of a pain in the *** when you're accelerating lightly, and the short shifter is only like 10 shipped for my car, so I've been considering it so I could slap it in before I slapped the whole linkage in.

thisisntjared 04-08-2006 09:53 AM

i like mine, the install was

i like mine, the install was cake, and you could probably put it on your linkage before you even install it.

just make sure you get one that your sure you will like(dual/single/no bend) i got the dual bend and im happy with it. its not for everyone though, my gf doesnt like the way it feels. too notchy for her, but thats also cus i threw in the stabilizer bushings with it so its very much like a rifle bolt.

SVOboy 04-08-2006 09:55 AM

I still don't understand the

I still don't understand the difference between them, to be honest. I thought it was just that the dual bend sat back further.

philmcneal 04-08-2006 12:07 PM

my friend had a 86 lude, and

my friend had a 86 lude, and before it got trashed I took the knob and put it in my civic...

looks so much better ;) but i think the real difference is you have to reach lower to shift imo ;)

SVOboy 04-08-2006 12:09 PM

Yep, that's been the

Yep, that's been the arugament made before. If I was ever going to get into some serious racing I would get a truck driver shifter, they are awesome, but if I'm going to shift through the gears in a few seconds and very close together I'm going to end up leaving my hand on the shifter.

philmcneal 04-08-2006 06:54 PM

i find if you shift way too

i find if you shift way too fast than what the syncros can handle then it won't be a smooth shift at all.

SVOboy 04-08-2006 07:03 PM

Well, duh, but I don't think

Well, duh, but I don't think I'd be able to shift fast enough even with a short shifter. You'd really have to rocket it to do that. I plan on being calm about my shifting, just reducing the throw.

GasSavers_DaX 04-09-2006 11:40 AM

A true short shifter will

A true short shifter will have more lenght on the shifter below the pivot, therefore a shorter throw is required to move the shift rod the same distance. Simple trig :). Only problem is that it can misalign the shift rod and cause mis-shifts. To me, a properly designed short shifter would move the pivot point up to keep the shift rod alignment.

SVOboy 04-09-2006 11:42 AM

Would not that be a

Would not that be a difficult feat to achieve unless one were willing to go beyond a simple bolt-in affair?

GasSavers_DaX 04-09-2006 11:44 AM

Yes it would, which is why

Yes it would, which is why most companies just sell their shifters with more length below the pivot and not moving the pivot up.

Honda actually has it right, moving to a more efficient cable shifter mechanism in their later model cars.