Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Off-topic chat thread (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/off-topic-chat-thread-19202.html)

cuts_off_prius 04-13-2017 03:54 PM

So a lot of cars got unveiled ahead of the New York International Auto Show, but the new Lincoln Navigator and Infiniti QX80 stood out to me due to their sheer size. These are quite the spectacle:

2018 Infiniti QX80

5.6l V8 making an estimated 400 hp.

Infiniti QX80 Monograph: Not just luxury, 'upscale luxury'

https://i.imgur.com/TcooWZW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2hzxf3Q.jpg

2018 Lincoln Navigator

3.5l Twin Turbo V6 making 450 hp mated to a 10-speed automatic.

The Lincoln Navigator Is The Enormous SUV Lincoln Finally Deserves

https://i.imgur.com/Sok0v91.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WpaQRnb.jpg

ChewChewTrain 04-13-2017 06:10 PM

SO fugly. Surprised that a company that produces the Focus and Fiesta is capable of producing such a monstrosity.

Draigflag 04-14-2017 12:54 AM

Yea have to agree, they're not the nicest looking cars, although it's quite difficult trying to make a vehicle with huge proportions look good, like sticking fat chick in a prom dress lol.

That last one looks like something designed in the 1980's, no design flair at all.

ChewChewTrain 04-14-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 194216)
...like sticking fat chick in a prom dress lol.

That's how I feel about the new Minis compared to the ORIGINAL Mini Coopers. The new Minis are like an old girlfriend in a cute outfit, except she's a lot fatter.

cuts_off_prius 04-20-2017 09:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_eyucxpacY

Interesting driving consumption test of a Passat 1.4 TSI ACT, which runs on two cylinders under light load. Love this guy's videos.

Draigflag 04-20-2017 11:10 PM

I drove a car with this recently, it's a great little engine with a seamless switch between the two modes. By the looks of it, it's not as efficient as you would hope it would be, but then again, is anything these days?

R.I.D.E. 04-21-2017 02:48 AM

LMAO, the return of running boards. I predict failure. Reminds me of Frank Lee's term for Suburbans, "Subdivisions". Saw an Expedition yesterday, dropped so low it was riding on the bump stops. Proof that Darwin's evolution has failed miserably.

At least that "low rider" didn't need an elevator to get the passengers inside.

LDB 04-21-2017 05:17 AM

That's interesting. I wonder if they'll offer that over here.

Jcp385 04-23-2017 05:50 PM

I kinda dig the Navigator, minus those wheels, at least as much as I can like a large SUV. That Infiniti though...what an odd-looking thing.

ChewChewTrain 04-23-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcp385 (Post 194375)
I kinda dig the Navigator, minus those wheels, at least as much as I can like a large SUV. That Infiniti though...what an odd-looking thing.

Saw a Maserati SUV last week. A MASERATI SUV?!!!! That and the Porsche SUV means the end of the world is approaching. A high performance SUV is an oxymoron. What's next?! Porsche forklifts?

Sports car makers are drawn to designing/building SUVs because SUV sales are 1/2 the auto market. That's why Tesla was compelled to produce their SUV before their economy car.

Additionally, Sports cars are not selling well. This is bad news about their future. People are just not into a fun driving experience as generations past. Millennials aren't even buying cars and car companies are feeling it.

Draigflag 04-23-2017 11:12 PM

Top Gear featured an interesting SUV last night, the Avtoros Shaman from Russia! Now when cars start getting this big, that's when you worry. And it can drive in deep water too.

https://cdn.hiconsumption.com/wp-cont...-Vehicle-5.jpg

Jcp385 04-24-2017 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain (Post 194376)
Saw a Maserati SUV last week. A MASERATI SUV?!!!! That and the Porsche SUV means the end of the world is approaching. A high performance SUV is an oxymoron. What's next?! Porsche forklifts?

Sports car makers are drawn to designing/building SUVs because SUV sales are 1/2 the auto market. That's why Tesla was compelled to produce their SUV before their economy car.

Additionally, Sports cars are not selling well. This is bad news about their future. People are just not into a fun driving experience as generations past. Millennials aren't even buying cars and car companies are feeling it.

Don't worry about Maserati. They don't have their program together, and doesn't look like FCA is helping them out much so far. The Porsche SUVs to their credit, at least feel Porsche first, SUV second, so I cut them a bit of slack...notwithstanding that Porsche conflates with douchebaggery in my mind :D

Sports cars have never sold well. They define a brand and provide a lucky few with a neat experience, but counting on them for profits isn't a good idea. Porsche is a good example, they nearly died before the Boxster injected some volume sales and the Cayenne became their way to practically print currency.

Those millennials tho...I think "they" (in quotations because I'm sort of on the upper age of millennials) will most likely be choosing the autonomous Über pods when that's a thing, and wonder why us old crusty guys are still actually driving ourselves.

By which point I hope to have an old Chevy SS or CTS-V or something, plus a hot rod/Justin or to, so I can sit them down, strap them in, and edjumacate them on exactly why :D

R.I.D.E. 04-24-2017 03:22 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just call them station wagons, which is what they are since they are almost universally based on passenger car platforms, and they will disappear almost instantly.

Watched a Toyota ad for the Highlander if I remember right. They were bragging about it still having a full frame (truck based), which makes them very prone to rollovers. I remember a salvage auction where there were 3 rolled over Toyotas, the largest truck based SUV they sell in the USA, amazing when you think of the percentage in the salvage auction compared to the percentage of vehicles on the road, maybe 100 to 1 more likely to rollover.

They depend on our collective amnesia, but the arrogance of harping about a deadly characteristic of their very flawed designs seems, at least to me, to be rather stupid.

trollbait 04-24-2017 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain (Post 194376)

Lamborghini still makes farm tractors. Though, the founder of both companies actually started with them.
Home - Lamborghini Trattori - Tractors

Jcp385 04-24-2017 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. (Post 194381)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just call them station wagons, which is what they are since they are almost universally based on passenger car platforms, and they will disappear almost instantly.

Watched a Toyota ad for the Highlander if I remember right. They were bragging about it still having a full frame (truck based), which makes them very prone to rollovers. I remember a salvage auction where there were 3 rolled over Toyotas, the largest truck based SUV they sell in the USA, amazing when you think of the percentage in the salvage auction compared to the percentage of vehicles on the road, maybe 100 to 1 more likely to rollover.

They depend on our collective amnesia, but the arrogance of harping about a deadly characteristic of their very flawed designs seems, at least to me, to be rather stupid.

You must be thinking of the 4Runner or Land cruiser, but body-on-frame. The Highlander is unibody and based on the Camry's platform.

I really wish we had more actual wagons. That's what I'd really rather have. When I was car shopping, a lot of my top choices were wagon-y, like the Mazda6 wagon I kind of chased.

Draigflag 04-24-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 194385)
Lamborghini still makes farm tractors. Though, the founder of both companies actually started with them.
Home - Lamborghini Trattori - Tractors

I nearly mentioned the Lamborghini tractor link, someone I know in town has a silver one, and uses the "I drive a Lamborghini" line to chat up girls. Kind of works....

Draigflag 04-24-2017 08:55 AM

Sports cars, people have come to realise that sacrificing comfort and practicality isn't worth it, unless you're rich and can afford another car too. In fact, many "hot hatches" are just as quick as their Sportier siblings now, look at the Audi RS3, it's quicker than a R8 V8, the TTRS is a seriously quick car too.

Now family cars like this:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...jizjeuz9qi.jpg

are quicker on a track than stuff like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...a_in_Paris.jpg

It's become a bit embarrassing...

Hot hatches are a very popular choice here as they offer everything from comfort to practicality, performance and reasonably low running costs too. I'm happy with my choice, unless fuel costs sky rocket in the next few years, I can't really think of a reason to change it in the future.

Jcp385 04-24-2017 09:12 AM

Hot hatches are a neat segment. Fiesta ST would be high in my list for new cars, though I'd still rather have a proper, larger wagon, even if it's a bit more sedate. Passing on that Mazda6 wagon with V6 and stick is gonna sting for a while.

My SVT Focus wasn't a sizzling performer even if it did have a great chassis, but boy could it swallow that cargo.

ChewChewTrain 05-02-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcp385 (Post 194390)
Hot hatches are a neat segment. Fiesta ST would be high in my list for new cars, though I'd still rather have a proper, larger wagon, even if it's a bit more sedate. Passing on that Mazda6 wagon with V6 and stick is gonna sting for a while.

My SVT Focus wasn't a sizzling performer even if it did have a great chassis, but boy could it swallow that cargo.

I think the Fiesta is a pretty sharp car, too.

Paul, before your Renault, did you consider the Fiesta? If so, why the Renault?

Draigflag 05-02-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain (Post 194507)
I think the Fiesta is a pretty sharp car, too.

Paul, before your Renault, did you consider the Fiesta? If so, why the Renault?

Do you mean my Peugeot? Yes I considered the Fiesta, great handling little car, but very common here as there's a Ford dealer in my town, I like rare cars and I like to be different. There are only 390 registered examples of GTi's like mine on UK roads. I also like the extra practicality, Fiesta is 3 door only, and I have 70-90 BHP more than the ST too, even though it has the same size engine.

Draigflag 05-25-2017 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So did a regular run to my supermarket, I usually reset the trip MPG just to see what I average as the route is pretty consistent, the main variants being traffic/weather. But it's the hottest day of the year so far, I had the AC on full blast the whole time and I beat any previous score (52.2 MPG)

Why would the AC make the car more economical? Or could the hot weather have a more beneficial effect than I anticipated?

SteveMak 05-25-2017 02:15 PM

Draigflag, some things to consider:
  • Cold weather driving (does not have to be freezing), has a substantial negative effect on fuel economy. Mechanical stuff stiffens up and causes a lot more resistance. This applies even though the engine oil and coolant eventually warm up, because it takes a lot longer for a transmission to warm up, as it does every joint in the drivetrain, wheel bearings, etc.
  • At higher speeds (approx 45 MPH or higher) A/C can have less of a detrimental effect on fuel economy than open windows.
  • Red lights and stop signs have a big negative impact on fuel economy.
  • Driver information systems are notoriously inaccurate for reporting fuel economy.
  • The shorter the trip, the greater the opportunity for reporting fuel economy inaccuracies.

Draigflag 05-25-2017 10:42 PM

Yea I only had the car since December, so haven't really driven much in hot weather yet. The trip computer I've measured each tank V's Fuelly's figures and it's pretty accurate, reads about 3 MPG higher than actual, so still close to 50 MPG. Guess there was no wind at all too so that helps too. Cruised at 65 MPH on the straights. Wonder what I could have achieved if I tried?

Draigflag 06-23-2017 03:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just found out how to go on the internet in my car, who needs a Tesla huh? :D

ChewChewTrain 06-23-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 195057)
Just found out how to go on the internet in my car, who needs a Tesla huh? :D

It ONLY took you 6 months to figure it out, Paul?

Do you get service through your phone-to-car?

Draigflag 06-23-2017 05:17 PM

Yes it uses the connection via Bluetooth and mobile Internet data. Never had it work before, had to adjust the settings. Now I can watch YouTube videos on longer journeys. Just kidding... ;)

ChewChewTrain 06-24-2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 194727)
So did a regular run to my supermarket, I usually reset the trip MPG just to see what I average as the route is pretty consistent, the main variants being traffic/weather. But it's the hottest day of the year so far, I had the AC on full blast the whole time and I beat any previous score (52.2 MPG)

Why would the AC make the car more economical? Or could the hot weather have a more beneficial effect than I anticipated?

Someone commented that after 50mph it's more economical to cool yourself with the AC running rather than rolling down the windows.

By what delta did you beat your old record?

What I find hard to believe... Your town is big enough to support a supermarket, Paul?

ChewChewTrain 06-24-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 195071)
Yes it uses the connection via Bluetooth and mobile Internet data. Never had it work before, had to adjust the settings. Now I can watch YouTube videos on longer journeys. Just kidding... ;)

Now, you can drive like the Martin Short character in that movie, which I can't remember. Anyone?

Draigflag 06-24-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain (Post 195085)
Someone commented that after 50mph it's more economical to cool yourself with the AC running rather than rolling down the windows.

By what delta did you beat your old record?

What I find hard to believe... Your town is big enough to support a supermarket, Paul?

I usually see about 46-48 MPG displayed on any other day, I guess the circumstances were just perfect that day. Well the supermarket I go to is in a different town, hence the long journey. There are small supermarkets here, I'm not living in the middle of nowhere Doug. What's most important is the number of Pubs in my town, about 7 or 8, and 2 within 12 steps of my house ;)

ChewChewTrain 06-24-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 195088)
What's most important is the number of Pubs in my town, about 7 or 8, and 2 within 12 steps of my house ;)

8 pubs? That works out to 1 pub per resident! AMAZING, Paul!

Were you born there?

Draigflag 06-25-2017 12:45 AM

Actually I was counting last night, I think it's 12 pubs, one per 291 residents lol. No I was born in England, moved here aged 9.

cuts_off_prius 07-03-2017 06:37 AM

New car purchase :D

Traded in the Bimmer for a 2017 Civic Hatchback LX (1.5T CVT).

Read my quick review/first impressions here:
https://oppositelock.kinja.com/1-hatc...evi-1796587307

Draigflag 07-03-2017 10:02 AM

Congrats on the new ride, and thanks for supporting the UK industry! ;)
My only concern would be the CVT, I'm yet to read a review that praises a CVT box, hope it doesn't sap the driving experience too much for you. Do you guys get the Type R too? Still not sold on the looks yet, but credit where it's due, Honda have been very clever with weight saving and aerodynamics, the only car in it's class (apparently) to generate downforce. I got a slight reservation when I heard the body panels are glued and not welded, wonder how that will stand the test of time?

https://cdn1.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/...vic_type_r.jpg

cuts_off_prius 07-03-2017 02:47 PM

Hey, thanks. Now that I drove it a teeny bit more (haven't gotten enough seat time to get used to it honestly), the CVT is a CVT, except it mimics a shift when you slightly release the throttle when you reach cruising speed and mimics a kickdown when you give it enough throttle. Otherwise it just gains speed while keeping the rpms still within a certain range. Nice sound from the engine down low when you accelerate slowly from a standstill, like how a manual or dual clutch engages the transmission as you get going (soundwise). Still, more fun than a hybrid IMO. For the gas mileage, I don't mind it. Kinda behaves like a diesel with the low rpm when you're easy on the gas lol

My last ride when I opened the hatch, the taillight assembly said made in Hungary. Makes sense, since the car was assembled in England.

The day I went to the dealership for the purchase, they had just received the new Civic Type R and were backing it up into the showroom floor. Sticker read about $35,000 but with the dealer markup it was $45,000 and no test drives. They left it unlocked, not sure if by mistake. Dumb kids looking for a used Accord walked right into the showroom and sat in it, playing around with stuff. No respect for such a rare ride.

Snapped some pics:

https://i.imgur.com/HkDuRw9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/orDAMIj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JgUq70j.jpg

luv2spd 07-03-2017 04:26 PM

Here where I live we have a big Autoport where they park all the new cars coming in via boat from Europe. I saw about 10 white Civic Type Rs in a row last week. I also saw some cool cars over the years, I often go there to check out all the cool cars. I saw 3 Mercedes SLS Black once which was amazing. Also, they had about 25 Alfa Romeo 4Cs a few years ago.

Regarding the Type R, I'm grateful that the car exist, but for that price I would buy something else. I heard that some dealers charge $15,000 over MSRP. I know looks are subjective, but I just couldn't drive a car like that at my age (I'm getting old).

Hungary makes a lot of things for cars, I believe the Audi TT is made there and they also make a lot of parts and engines for Porsche. When I was there in 1997; they mainly made parts for the VAG group of vehicles.

cuts_off_prius 07-03-2017 06:42 PM

Currently laying in the hatch area watching fireworks as we speak :D

My car entered via Baltimore, as stated on the window sticker. Summer must be nice up there in Canada along the coast.

JockoT 07-04-2017 12:07 AM

My local Honda dealer keeps chasing me to try the Type R, but at £32000 it is a bit rich for me.

Draigflag 07-04-2017 01:03 AM

Yea it is a bit over the top looks wise, even if all those vents and spoilers serve a purpose. Then again, being fairly young, free and single, the more girls that check you out the better in my opinion ;)

JockoT 07-04-2017 02:54 AM

Back in the 60's I had a mate who had a MGB convertible. Pulled girls no problem. He then replaced it with a Cortina Lotus. Pulling power went right down the pan!

LDB 07-04-2017 05:29 AM

During college I had a 911S, guards red. One week I had to swap and drive my dad's 25th anniversary Indy pace car replica Corvette. I had 2 girls come up and ask for rides and 1 girl didn't bother asking, just walked up and got in the car when I stopped at a light. Not once did a girl ask for a ride or get into the 911 uninvited even though it was definitely the finer car and would drive circles around the Corvette.