Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hey Everyone. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/hey-everyone-1923.html)

tomauto 04-11-2006 12:03 AM

Engine Swap

Your looking at the same thing I am, good.

Switching engines would be kinda pointless I think...Spending 625 dollars more kinda takes out the advantage I gain in fuel economy. However, It would save on the headaches of the mini-me swap tremendously. I am considering grabbing that ECU. I dont think I am going to get a better deal there. This is going to be a good summer project. I can't find anybody on H-T that has done this swap, there is one other person who wants to though. I found somebody who is willing to sell his head, but I am sure I need a few more parts than that. Can I use the same valve cover?

Matt Timion 04-11-2006 05:09 AM

Re: Engine Swap

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomauto
Your looking at the same thing I am, good.

Switching engines would be kinda pointless I think...Spending 625 dollars more kinda takes out the advantage I gain in fuel economy. However, It would save on the headaches of the mini-me swap tremendously. I am considering grabbing that ECU. I dont think I am going to get a better deal there. This is going to be a good summer project. I can't find anybody on H-T that has done this swap, there is one other person who wants to though. I found somebody who is willing to sell his head, but I am sure I need a few more parts than that. Can I use the same valve cover?

Trust me when I say the mini-me swap is MUCH easier than a full engine swap.

I would get that cylinder head and then figure out what you need next. Maybe it's a valve cover. YOu can find those on the cheap too if you're patient.

I've been slowly getting parts for my swap for almost a year now. I found a VX engine, ECU, conversion harness, o2 sensor, downpipe/cat (slightly different on these engines) all from different people. Sadly I actually purchased other stuff too that I didn't end up needing. I've since sold it again on ebay.

If it takes you a bit longer to get this swap done then so be it. Price is obviously important to you, as it should be.

I would contact Bunger on this site and ask him to double check to see if the HX head will work on your block. I would also ask him for any advice on this particular swap.

a mini-me swap may seem like a headache, but you only have to remove your cylinder head, which you can do with hand tools over a weekend. Start researching mini-me's on honda-tech and try to find lots of tutorials. It's easier than it seems.

tomauto 04-11-2006 08:51 AM

The block on the engines are

The block on the engines are all the same. I have been reviewing my Haynes manual, and it is not all that complicated. I will need to buy some quality tools also, but I have to buy them at some point.

The only thing I haven't found on Honda-Tech is how to modify the wiring harness to make it work correctly. Some people with HX's are getting Uberdata ECU's into their cars and modifing the 2nd O2 sensor for performance. I want to keep the stock ECU. I will definately need help with the wiring...a diagram would be wonderful.

Matt Timion 04-11-2006 09:39 AM

Re: The block on the engines are

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomauto
The block on the engines are all the same. I have been reviewing my Haynes manual, and it is not all that complicated. I will need to buy some quality tools also, but I have to buy them at some point.

The only thing I haven't found on Honda-Tech is how to modify the wiring harness to make it work correctly. Some people with HX's are getting Uberdata ECU's into their cars and modifing the 2nd O2 sensor for performance. I want to keep the stock ECU. I will definately need help with the wiring...a diagram would be wonderful.

I would recommend you contact droppedcrxsi on honda-tech. He has all of the wiring information for all of these cars. Another possible resource is DrDisco.

I think that you car might already be wired for vtec, which means all you'll have to do is run ONE wire for the five wire o2 sensor.

tomauto 04-11-2006 10:10 AM

Thanks!

Sweet! I Heart Honda

SVOboy 04-11-2006 01:22 PM

I doubt the car is ready for

I doubt the car is ready for vtec, I think that was only early del sols and 92 civics.

Anyway, matt, first you said swap was easier, then you said mini-me was easier, :p

tomauto 04-11-2006 02:00 PM

right...

Yeah, depends on the kind of tools you have. A mini-me is easier because of the simpler tools and not having to deal with transmission.

There are many threads about the 92-95 civics, and much of the discussion is about switching over to OBD-1...and I dont have that problem. There isn't a thread about it specifically. I am sure it coudl work. I need to have a look at an HX engine...

tomauto 04-11-2006 03:06 PM

the thread I have been searching..

Here it is, all 11 pages worth...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1414454

SVOboy 04-11-2006 03:10 PM

Yeah, but that guy is

Yeah, but that guy is running obd1 with a chipped ecu and gsr fuel/timing maps (I set it up for him). But nevertheless, it can be done, so I vote go for it.

tomauto 04-11-2006 07:02 PM

Engine Swap

He is going for a crazy hybrid setup which I do not have time to do and he is also pushing performance (gearing and all that)...

Here is what I learned.

If I want it to not throw codes, I have to purchase the intake manifold also. This little swap is starting to become more and more expensive by the minute. I could use the experience of the head swap though...I need to research more on the electrical aspect still.

It would be pretty sweet to gain 10 hp and 6-9 mpg for around $300. So I haven't given up on it yet...My civic is coming up on the 150,000 mile mark (Major Service) So while I am putting those new parts on it, I mise well do this also.