Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Vehicles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Fuelly Problem With Chevy Volt. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/fuelly-problem-with-chevy-volt-19312.html)

golfzilla 04-04-2017 09:48 AM

Fuelly Problem With Chevy Volt.

I've had three fill ups for my '17 Chevy Volt, but I initially neglected to enter the first fill up by the dealership, so I went back in and updated my previous #1 entry as that omitted fill up, then entered the info from my previous #1 as the new #2, and finally added fill up #3 with the previous #2 info.

I went through all this trouble because that initial tank of gas yielded 937 (not a typo) mpg, but Fuelly didn't take that into account when calculating the car's lifetime mpg. It didn't start tracking until my second entered fill up (actually now the third), which only resulted in a lifetime mileage of 222 mpg.

With now three fill ups entered after I updated the record with that initial fill up, Fuelly is again displaying 222 lifetime mpg! It will not recognize that initial fill up mileage. I thought maybe my update process had buggered the record somehow, so since we're apparently not allowed to delete a vehicle, I created another vehicle entry with the same three fill ups...and Fuelly again refused to honor that first 937 mpg entry, again returning only 222 lifetime mpg.

Two questions:
1) Is there a way to get Fuelly to include that first tank in its calculations? and
2) Is there a way for me to delete my now redundant/extra Volt from account?

Draigflag 04-05-2017 03:49 AM

You're first two fuel ups have no mileage inputs, fuelly can only calculate your MPG by dividing the fuel you used over the distance you just drove. There is no "initial fuel up" as such, a full tank is what you start with, your first fuel up is the distance you drove and the fresh fuel you just refilled with.

By not inputting mileage, other stats such as average miles per tank will be wrong too.

golfzilla 04-13-2017 05:37 PM

OK, my fault. I've needlessly complicated my explanation of the problem that started this whole thing. Lets start here: My very first fill up on my '17 Volt happened at 7988 miles, with 8.522 gallons. That works out to 937 mpg. I did input those values to Fuelly as my first fill up, but Fuelly ignored that input and said my '17 Volt got 0 mpg for my first fill up. My second fill up was at 9596 miles with 7.238 gallons. Fuelly decided to recognize this fill up and acknowledged 222.2 mpg...but just for this second fill up. What about my first fill up? Where's that 937 mpg figure in? Fuelly didn't use it for some reason. With two fill ups to go on, it should have averaged both fill ups for the first available "lifetime mpg" figure, but it didn't. "Lifetime" is listed as 222.2 mpg instead of the correct, much higher value. I'm now wondering if Fuelly is simply incapable of dealing with mpg values that are above some predetermined value. If this is true, Fuelly is not yet reliably capable of dealing with the Chevy Volt...

Draigflag 04-14-2017 12:45 AM

I still can't see any miles for your first fuel up. Did you mark it as a "partial" fuel up by mistake? How come you got almost 8000 miles on one tank, but only 1600 on the next?

I'm assuming you're using odometer tracking, you may be better off using the trip meter instead. You simply input the miles you just drove, the fuel you just used and the cost, and fuelly will do the rest. Worth a try, you have the data for the individual fuel ups.

trollbait 04-14-2017 12:22 PM

When using odometer for tracking, the first entry isn't calculated. It is merely setting the start point for the program to calculate all future entries from.

golfzilla 04-16-2017 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 194214)
I still can't see any miles for your first fuel up. Did you mark it as a "partial" fuel up by mistake? How come you got almost 8000 miles on one tank, but only 1600 on the next?

I'm assuming you're using odometer tracking, you may be better off using the trip meter instead. You simply input the miles you just drove, the fuel you just used and the cost, and fuelly will do the rest. Worth a try, you have the data for the individual fuel ups.

My first fill up was at 7988 miles, and it is in the record...I put it in and am looking at it. That fill up was not marked as "partial". For the first time, I have been using odometer tracking on this car. I used trip tracking on my previous VW TDI, which was only slightly more hassle. I thought the odometer method would be handier, so I gave it a try on the Volt. Maybe not so handy after all...

I got 7988 miles on the first fill up because that tank ran from spring through fall (relatively warm temperatures), whereas the following tank ran through winter (coldest temperatures here in Wisconsin). During winter, the gas engine occasionally runs just to warm the car/battery. In warmer weather it rarely runs at all in the type of use we've been giving it. Don't believe that "lifetime" figure of 222.2...it really should be 609 at this point.

trollbait 04-16-2017 04:55 PM

With odometer tracking, the first dill up is just to set the start point for the tracking. The program needs an odometer reading that it knows the tank was full. The 7988 miles you entered is seen as the software as the starting odometer reading for it to calculate all future tank distances from.

It does no calculation on the first fill because it needs two odometer readings to figure what distance was traveled on the tank.

To get a calculation from the 7988 miles, you need to enter a fill up before it for a starting point. Assuming the dealer supplied a full tank, you can use the odometer reading from when you took delivery for that first fill.

golfzilla 04-17-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 194263)
With odometer tracking, the first dill up is just to set the start point for the tracking. The program needs an odometer reading that it knows the tank was full. The 7988 miles you entered is seen as the software as the starting odometer reading for it to calculate all future tank distances from.

It does no calculation on the first fill because it needs two odometer readings to figure what distance was traveled on the tank.

To get a calculation from the 7988 miles, you need to enter a fill up before it for a starting point. Assuming the dealer supplied a full tank, you can use the odometer reading from when you took delivery for that first fill.

So far, I've already tried these suggestions with no success. I did go back and try entering an initial dealer fill up with an odometer value of 3 miles and a fuel amount of 8.9 gallons (the tank capacity). I then moved my two fill ups from #1 & #2 to #2 & #3. Fuelly didn't care...it still said my lifetime average was the same value as what I got on my last winter fill up (222.2), disregarding my first (now second) fill up at 7988 miles. An added problem is that I created a second auto entry for the Volt on my account in hopes that a fresh start would straighten things out, but it didn't...so now I'd like to get rid of the extraneous car and there doesn't seem to be any way to delete a car.

I know this is a first world problem, but I thought it was a real shame that my Volt is not going to get credit for what it did on that first tank (937 mpg).

Draigflag 04-17-2017 11:09 PM

Can I suggest my method, make another profile, or delete the fuel ups on your volt and change the method of tracking to trip odometer. Then try entering the fuel ups individually, both with mileage and fuel used, not just fuel as in an "initial fill up" and see what happens?

SSonnentag 04-27-2017 08:01 AM

As per an e-mail reply I received, as of this week, the staff is beginning to work on a solution for these types of ultra-high mpg and PHEV situations.

trollbait 04-28-2017 09:30 AM

The issue is that Fuelly can't track two different fuels at the same time. Without knowing the amount of electricity used by a plug in over a tank, the resulting MPG figure is useless for anything beyond bragging rights. Even for tanks that get pasted the current filters.

golfzilla 05-05-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 194445)
The issue is that Fuelly can't track two different fuels at the same time. Without knowing the amount of electricity used by a plug in over a tank, the resulting MPG figure is useless for anything beyond bragging rights. Even for tanks that get pasted the current filters.

Fuelly isn't being asked to track two fuels at once...just gasoline. And in view of the email that they sent to SSonnentag, there is, in fact, a limitation to the Fuellly software's ability to track ultra-high-mileage vehicles...just as I suspected. Now, maybe while they're in there solving this issue they can also add a function for eliminating unwanted vehicles.

EMY92 05-10-2017 08:58 AM

The issue with the Volt and other plugin hybrids is that we have an MPG filter in place to reject readings that are "too high". A vast majority of our users do not have vehicles that can achieve triple digit MPG readings. The filter was put in place to prevent obviously inaccurate MPG reading from distorting the Fuelly results for a vehicle type.

We are looking at the best way to change this.

golfzilla 05-12-2017 08:35 PM

Your efforts in this regard are appreciated. These cars deserve their just due. I replaced a diesel powered vehicle that was averaging 24 mpg with my '17 Volt. Even figuring in the increase in my electric bill, the Volt is saving me $120 every month in "fuel" costs. And, it's far more pleasant to be in than the other vehicle was. A definite "win/win".

trollbait 05-17-2017 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfzilla (Post 194545)
Fuelly isn't being asked to track two fuels at once...just gasoline. And in view of the email that they sent to SSonnentag, there is, in fact, a limitation to the Fuellly software's ability to track ultra-high-mileage vehicles...just as I suspected. Now, maybe while they're in there solving this issue they can also add a function for eliminating unwanted vehicles.

Fuelly has two purposes. The first is tracking fuel consumption for the users. The second is to aggregate that data into a form that car shoppers can use to research real world fuel economy for their next ride.

The outlier filters are in place to keep input errors, and fraudulent entries, from skewing the numbers for the research purposes. They even filter out the extreme fuel efficiency figures in research to give a fairer view of economy expectations.

PHEV numbers for ICE fuel alone are useless for those doing research if there is no mention of the electricity used. The simplest solution for Fuelly is to require PHEV users to input a percent EV use number, and display that in the car's banner with the ICE fuel economy.

This way the actual kilowatt-hours used doesn't need to be tracked, but people doing research can get an idea of the grid electricity's impact on the ICE fuel economy. Those PHEV owners that don't input an EV percent should have that data excluded from the public database. At the very least, a note in the banner that the EV percent is unknown or incomplete.

Rochejaune 06-24-2017 05:45 PM

Thanks for the Volt intel. VoltStats is cool but I like Fuelly too. I bought a used 2016 Volt in December and the tracking has been good - except for one fill up. It's number 34 on June 1 on the screenshot below:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4289/3...7c0cc88c_o.jpg

The gas mileage should be 453.29 for that one. Is that too high for Fuelly to accept or did I miss a setting somewhere?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bill

R.I.D.E. 06-25-2017 03:41 AM

I remember a problem on another forum where a Mercedes diesel owner who used a lot of biodiesel only reported the diesel he bought (not biodiesel) but not the biodiesel he got for free and processed himself. He was reporting mileage over 1000 MPG. Not really accurate unless you report the total of liquid fuel consumed.

trollbait 06-26-2017 07:05 AM

That's how the E85 flex fuel loop hole for CAFE works though.