Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Possible gaslog modification (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/possible-gaslog-modification-1942.html)

Matt Timion 04-13-2006 08:44 AM

Possible gaslog modification

I was thinking about the gaslog and I had an idea that I believe was mentioned before.

COnsidering that we have the EPA ratings for our vehicles, would it be have the top ten be the top MPG, or the top percent over EPA estimates?

I can see pros and cons for both.

MetroMPG 04-13-2006 08:58 AM

if you're in a programming

if you're in a programming mood, why not both? it's all good!

Matt Timion 04-13-2006 09:02 AM

Re: if you're in a programming

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
if you're in a programming mood, why not both? it's all good!

LOL... not a bad idea. I was just looking at the code and I'm embarrased how sloppy it is. Man, I need to just take my time when I code stuff.

n0rt0npr0 04-13-2006 09:15 AM

'

vote for top percent over EPA

MetroMPG 04-13-2006 09:48 AM

suggestion - each individual

suggestion - each individual car's gaslog should show its cumulative (avg) mpg as a number. unless i'm missing something, you have to deduce it from the graph, or find it in a user's forum post.

krousdb 04-13-2006 10:12 AM

Re: Possible gaslog modification

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I was thinking about the gaslog and I had an idea that I believe was mentioned before.

COnsidering that we have the EPA ratings for our vehicles, would it be have the top ten be the top MPG, or the top percent over EPA estimates?

I can see pros and cons for both.

I would prefer % over EPA (go figure) but I would like to hear the pros and cons of both. The way I look at it, this site is all about doing the best you can with what you have. Using % over EPA normalizes everyone regardless of the car that they have.

Matt Timion 04-13-2006 10:55 AM

Re: suggestion - each individual

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
suggestion - each individual car's gaslog should show its cumulative (avg) mpg as a number. unless i'm missing something, you have to deduce it from the graph, or find it in a user's forum post.

This is something Imeant to do but it slipped my mind. I'm slowly working to make the gaslog and garage more intertwined.

I need to make a few code changes sometime soon, and I might end up removing the MPG figures in the posts considering that people can now use pretty images to display their MPG figures :)

GasSavers_DaX 04-13-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

I was just looking at the code and I'm embarrased how sloppy it is.

*View / Source*

:o!!!!

Nah, that's a good question though. I would like to see ...hell I don't know, both!

Matt Timion 04-13-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
Quote:

I was just looking at the code and I'm embarrased how sloppy it is.

*View / Source*

:o!!!!

No, not THAT code... the PHP code behind the gaslog... it's a mess. I think I'll need a Rosetta Stone to interpret it.

MetroMPG 04-13-2006 05:25 PM

had another thought: another

had another thought: another approach that would level the playing field further would be to consider only the most recent N tanks.

lifetime/cumulative mpg is great, but it buries the successes of users who have made more recent gains (that partly applies to me, yes). and considering that most of us are continually modifying our cars & refining our driving style, a "last N" tank figure gives a more accurate picture of how things are *actually* going.

it would also serve to encourage users who have lots of tanks in the gaslog and figure they can never dig themselves out from under their "bad" tanks.

i'm not suggesting ditching the cumulative figure. it's useful. but it's not necessarily a fair or accurate way to compare vehicles/drivers.

i vote for last 10 tanks as N (which wouldn't affect my current LMPG figure anyway).