Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Possible gaslog modification (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/possible-gaslog-modification-1942.html)

Matt Timion 04-13-2006 08:44 AM

Possible gaslog modification

I was thinking about the gaslog and I had an idea that I believe was mentioned before.

COnsidering that we have the EPA ratings for our vehicles, would it be have the top ten be the top MPG, or the top percent over EPA estimates?

I can see pros and cons for both.

MetroMPG 04-13-2006 08:58 AM

if you're in a programming

if you're in a programming mood, why not both? it's all good!

Matt Timion 04-13-2006 09:02 AM

Re: if you're in a programming

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
if you're in a programming mood, why not both? it's all good!

LOL... not a bad idea. I was just looking at the code and I'm embarrased how sloppy it is. Man, I need to just take my time when I code stuff.

n0rt0npr0 04-13-2006 09:15 AM

'

vote for top percent over EPA

MetroMPG 04-13-2006 09:48 AM

suggestion - each individual

suggestion - each individual car's gaslog should show its cumulative (avg) mpg as a number. unless i'm missing something, you have to deduce it from the graph, or find it in a user's forum post.

krousdb 04-13-2006 10:12 AM

Re: Possible gaslog modification

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I was thinking about the gaslog and I had an idea that I believe was mentioned before.

COnsidering that we have the EPA ratings for our vehicles, would it be have the top ten be the top MPG, or the top percent over EPA estimates?

I can see pros and cons for both.

I would prefer % over EPA (go figure) but I would like to hear the pros and cons of both. The way I look at it, this site is all about doing the best you can with what you have. Using % over EPA normalizes everyone regardless of the car that they have.

Matt Timion 04-13-2006 10:55 AM

Re: suggestion - each individual

Quote:

suggestion - each individual car's gaslog should show its cumulative (avg) mpg as a number. unless i'm missing something, you have to deduce it from the graph, or find it in a user's forum post.

This is something Imeant to do but it slipped my mind. I'm slowly working to make the gaslog and garage more intertwined.

I need to make a few code changes sometime soon, and I might end up removing the MPG figures in the posts considering that people can now use pretty images to display their MPG figures :)

GasSavers_DaX 04-13-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

I was just looking at the code and I'm embarrased how sloppy it is.

*View / Source*

:o!!!!

Nah, that's a good question though. I would like to see ...hell I don't know, both!

Matt Timion 04-13-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
Quote:

I was just looking at the code and I'm embarrased how sloppy it is.

*View / Source*

:o!!!!

No, not THAT code... the PHP code behind the gaslog... it's a mess. I think I'll need a Rosetta Stone to interpret it.

MetroMPG 04-13-2006 05:25 PM

had another thought: another

had another thought: another approach that would level the playing field further would be to consider only the most recent N tanks.

lifetime/cumulative mpg is great, but it buries the successes of users who have made more recent gains (that partly applies to me, yes). and considering that most of us are continually modifying our cars & refining our driving style, a "last N" tank figure gives a more accurate picture of how things are *actually* going.

it would also serve to encourage users who have lots of tanks in the gaslog and figure they can never dig themselves out from under their "bad" tanks.

i'm not suggesting ditching the cumulative figure. it's useful. but it's not necessarily a fair or accurate way to compare vehicles/drivers.

i vote for last 10 tanks as N (which wouldn't affect my current LMPG figure anyway).

zpiloto 04-13-2006 06:12 PM

I think MetroMPG has a good

I think MetroMPG has a good point. The FE will continue to climb until you hit the wall and then somebody will come up with something new and you start moving again. If you just take last 10 tanks that would aslo help in winter when those up north get hit with the crappy stuff while those is the south don't. Also trying new things that don't work won't keep penalizing you.

Matt Timion 04-13-2006 08:36 PM

Re: had another thought: another

Quote:

had another thought: another approach that would level the playing field further would be to consider only the most recent N tanks.

lifetime/cumulative mpg is great, but it buries the successes of users who have made more recent gains (that partly applies to me, yes). and considering that most of us are continually modifying our cars & refining our driving style, a "last N" tank figure gives a more accurate picture of how things are *actually* going.

it would also serve to encourage users who have lots of tanks in the gaslog and figure they can never dig themselves out from under their "bad" tanks.

i'm not suggesting ditching the cumulative figure. it's useful. but it's not necessarily a fair or accurate way to compare vehicles/drivers.

i vote for last 10 tanks as N (which wouldn't affect my current LMPG figure anyway).

I think this is a great idea. The only problem with this is someone could do a bunch of half gallon fillups and get really high MPG. Eh, then again I doubt that will really happen.

n0rt0npr0 04-13-2006 08:43 PM

hehe and if someone does we

hehe and if someone does we can lynch them. :p
...or you could just delete thier gaslog...like whoops
im so not nice :o
P.S.~it is a great idea tho (metro's idea)

krousdb 04-14-2006 03:45 AM

Re: had another thought: another

Quote:

I think this is a great idea. The only problem with this is someone could do a bunch of half gallon fillups and get really high MPG. Eh, then again I doubt that will really happen.

Well then how about last 5000 miles?

diamondlarry 04-14-2006 04:10 AM

That could end up hurting

That could end up hurting people like Matt, or helping depending on the situation. Since Matt drives a very small amount, he wouldn't have as much of a chance to increase his mpg or someone with a really high mpg would have less of a chance of their average dropping.
PS: Thanks for the smilies Matt, they're really cool. :-)

krousdb 04-14-2006 04:15 AM

OK, how about last 3 months?

diamondlarry 04-14-2006 04:20 AM

Re: OK, how about last 3 months?

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb

That sounds pretty good. That would give Matt an icentive to double up on improving his technique. :P Just kidding Matt. With gas prices going up there are people who will envy you for not having to drive very much.

MetroMPG 04-14-2006 06:00 AM

Quote:

that sounds like a good idea - it ensures everyone is at least comparing driving in the same seasons. if we did 5000 miles, it would be nearly a year at my current rate.

(yup - neat smileys, matt!)

Matt Timion 04-14-2006 06:25 AM

Quote:

This is very doable. It's going to require me to recode how the dates are handled, but I was hoping to do that anyway.

Compaq888 04-14-2006 06:48 AM

the idea is not so good. I

the idea is not so good. I may have modded my car like crazy but as you can see in my gaslog my mpg went down. It will stay down because I will drive mostly on the streets now. I'd only do the 3 month thing if Matt does the city, mixed, or freeway only.

Matt Timion 04-14-2006 07:10 AM

Re: the idea is not so good. I

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
the idea is not so good. I may have modded my car like crazy but as you can see in my gaslog my mpg went down. It will stay down because I will drive mostly on the streets now. I'd only do the 3 month thing if Matt does the city, mixed, or freeway only.

We shouldn't be afraid of an idea just because it will make your mileage look worse. The whole point is to get a better idea of what your current gas mileage is.

MetroMPG 04-22-2006 07:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is very doable. It's going to require me to recode how the dates are handled, but I was hoping to do that anyway.

so, is this the plan then, matt? be it resolved and all that?

Matt Timion 04-22-2006 05:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

so, is this the plan then, matt? be it resolved and all that?

Yes, I'm going to do a 90 day average. This will require quite a bit of recoding, but I think it will be best for everyone.

I actually have a thing or two I'd like to do first, which shouldn't take too long. I want to code a "gas buddy" type thing for Gassavers. You'll just enter your zip code and every day it will check for the cheapest gas prices in your area. It will be a VERY cool addition.

I'm not exactly sure if this type of thing is available for Canada or not. I'll look into it and find out.