Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Vehicles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Prius plugin charging (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/prius-plugin-charging-19499.html)

priusplugin0077 07-09-2017 09:31 AM

Prius plugin charging

Just purchased a 2012 prius plugin, it does not seem to be able to take a full charge. I have had it on the charger for over two hours starting with a partial charge and the display gives no more than 8.5 miles estimate. Are there any methods to check weather the charging system is working properly? Any suggestions would be welcome.

trollbait 07-10-2017 05:08 AM

That estimate is taking into account how efficiently the car was driven previously, and is not just a straight measure of the charge level. I think you need a scanguage or similar to see the actually charge level.

priusplugin0077 07-10-2017 12:58 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm not familiar. Could you explain how a scanguage works, what would such a device cost, Is this a do it yourself type thing?

Peace and health
Bob

JockoT 07-10-2017 10:51 PM

I just fitted a ScanGauge E to my Honda Jazz/Fit, just yesterday. It costs around £100, here in the UK. It took two minutes to fit. It just plugs in to the OBMII port, under the dash, and I velcro'd (supplied) it to the top of the steering wheel binnacle. It took 5 minutes to set up. It gives lots of useful data including instantaneous mpg, average mpg, cost/hr, coolant temp, load, ignition timing, throttle position, and many more I have still to get to grips with.

priusplugin0077 07-11-2017 03:19 AM

Thanks I don't think a scangauge is right for me. Would the dealership be able to do somekind of onetime diagnostic to determine if the traction system is working properly?

Peace and health

Draigflag 07-11-2017 03:42 AM

What's the mileage? The range is only roughly 11-15 miles when fully charged. If the car is high mileage, and charged alot (or sat unused alot) the battery capacity may have degraded somewhat over the 5 years.

priusplugin0077 07-11-2017 03:47 AM

Thanks, it's only got 81,000 miles, but I don't know it's history. Can the original capacity be restored?

Peace and health
Bob

JockoT 07-11-2017 03:53 AM

You could fork out for a new battery pack, but at $2.5K would you want to?

14Corolla 07-11-2017 04:06 AM

I don't know nothin' on Prius'. Is the battery one pack? Or is it more than one actual battery?
I have much confidence in Toyota. If you bring it in to them. They can troubleshoot it. Perhaps it isn't such an expensive fix? Only a couple cells in one of the batteries is causing the lessened charge?
I am confident it's because of the battery age.

trollbait 07-11-2017 05:07 AM

I personally give it more time to see if improves, get worse, or remains steady. It takes 3 hours to charge off of a standard outlet, assuming it is pulling 12 amps.

The charge rate isn't a flat rate. It goes faster when the battery is 'empty', but as it approaches full charge the rate drops. This reduces the heat generated and risk of damage to the pack. So those last few miles of range will take longer to charge.

Priuschat has a lot of knowledgeable users.