Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Vehicles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Prius plugin charging (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/prius-plugin-charging-19499.html)

priusplugin0077 07-09-2017 09:31 AM

Prius plugin charging

Just purchased a 2012 prius plugin, it does not seem to be able to take a full charge. I have had it on the charger for over two hours starting with a partial charge and the display gives no more than 8.5 miles estimate. Are there any methods to check weather the charging system is working properly? Any suggestions would be welcome.

trollbait 07-10-2017 05:08 AM

That estimate is taking into account how efficiently the car was driven previously, and is not just a straight measure of the charge level. I think you need a scanguage or similar to see the actually charge level.

priusplugin0077 07-10-2017 12:58 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm not familiar. Could you explain how a scanguage works, what would such a device cost, Is this a do it yourself type thing?

Peace and health
Bob

JockoT 07-10-2017 10:51 PM

I just fitted a ScanGauge E to my Honda Jazz/Fit, just yesterday. It costs around £100, here in the UK. It took two minutes to fit. It just plugs in to the OBMII port, under the dash, and I velcro'd (supplied) it to the top of the steering wheel binnacle. It took 5 minutes to set up. It gives lots of useful data including instantaneous mpg, average mpg, cost/hr, coolant temp, load, ignition timing, throttle position, and many more I have still to get to grips with.

priusplugin0077 07-11-2017 03:19 AM

Thanks I don't think a scangauge is right for me. Would the dealership be able to do somekind of onetime diagnostic to determine if the traction system is working properly?

Peace and health

Draigflag 07-11-2017 03:42 AM

What's the mileage? The range is only roughly 11-15 miles when fully charged. If the car is high mileage, and charged alot (or sat unused alot) the battery capacity may have degraded somewhat over the 5 years.

priusplugin0077 07-11-2017 03:47 AM

Thanks, it's only got 81,000 miles, but I don't know it's history. Can the original capacity be restored?

Peace and health
Bob

JockoT 07-11-2017 03:53 AM

You could fork out for a new battery pack, but at $2.5K would you want to?

14Corolla 07-11-2017 04:06 AM

I don't know nothin' on Prius'. Is the battery one pack? Or is it more than one actual battery?
I have much confidence in Toyota. If you bring it in to them. They can troubleshoot it. Perhaps it isn't such an expensive fix? Only a couple cells in one of the batteries is causing the lessened charge?
I am confident it's because of the battery age.

trollbait 07-11-2017 05:07 AM

I personally give it more time to see if improves, get worse, or remains steady. It takes 3 hours to charge off of a standard outlet, assuming it is pulling 12 amps.

The charge rate isn't a flat rate. It goes faster when the battery is 'empty', but as it approaches full charge the rate drops. This reduces the heat generated and risk of damage to the pack. So those last few miles of range will take longer to charge.

Priuschat has a lot of knowledgeable users.

priusplugin0077 07-11-2017 07:31 AM

Thanks up to this point I've used the gas engine almost exclusively. But want to use the electric only option if I can feel comfortable with it. Have you seen your miles available increase the more you charge yours?

Peace and health
Bob

14Corolla 07-11-2017 10:52 AM

Is my understanding wrong on Prius'? Even the plug in one. It still charges the battery when you're driving. Mainly in slowing down and stopping. Am I not correct?
8 miles for charge means nothing to a Prius. That's just how far it will go with only battery power, and that's all.

Draigflag 07-11-2017 01:00 PM

Yea the regular Prius uses the engine and regen to charge the battery back like most other hybrids, which you can they use to drive solely on electric power. The plug in works exactly the same, but with the ability to charge it yourself, so you can always start with a full battery, or charge when out and about.

priusplugin0077 07-12-2017 03:29 AM

It's clearly not keeping a full charge. I need to get it into the dealer and determine what the issue is and hope it's covered under warranty

14Corolla 07-12-2017 05:36 AM

This car is 5 years old. The batteries aren't charging fully. .... You're hoping it's a warranty? ... When battery cars came out. They expected a person would have to replace the batteries in 5 years.

You're driving this in full engine mode. Not using the batteries at all. The car is designed to use the batteries part time. It decides when. The batteries are to assist. You just have to choose the right mode for the car. That's all.
I don't think anybody drives their Prius in full battery/electric mode. Unless they run out of gas.

Yes, it would be nice to have the batteries charging fully after 5 years. But there is definitely something lacking in your thinking here.
Even Toyota, who is famous for covering defects out of warranty. I doubt seriously they would cover this under warranty. It's like covering worn tires under warranty.

JockoT 07-12-2017 05:41 AM

Found this:
To answer the first one, John Hanson, Toyota's National Manager, Environmental, Safety & Quality Communications, responds:

"The battery pack in any hybrid Toyota is warranted either for 10 years or 150,000 miles (in states with California emissions laws) or 8 years or 100,000 miles in all other states."

And, he adds, "There's no pro-rating at all. The battery will be replaced at no cost if necessary during the warranty period."

As for the effect on used Prius prices, there doesn't appear to be a discount for older Priuses based on concerns about the life of the rechargeable battery pack.

Indeed, Toyota says the battery pack is one of the least-frequently replaced items across all Prius models. And some proportion of the packs it has to replace haven't failed, but were damaged in collisions or other accidents.

14Corolla 07-12-2017 05:48 AM

And how many miles does this Prius have?

JockoT 07-12-2017 06:04 AM

Post #7. 81000.

14Corolla 07-12-2017 06:23 AM

Forgive me for not comprehending the entire thread before posting.
I seriously do believe in Toyota. I can't believe some of the stuff they have done.
I'm confident the OP doesn't have anything to worry about. Just take it in. Toyota will take care of him.
I still say. Even now. There is no reason to run in gas mode only. None at all. I hope I didn't misunderstand his statement regarding that.

priusplugin0077 07-12-2017 06:29 AM

I have contacted toyota and they have assigned me a claim number. I have to take the prius to the dealer and have them do a diagnostic then toyota will act according to the findings. Toyota says it will be up to the dealer weather the cost of the diagnostic will be paid for by me or toyota. May take some time to get an appointment. I'll let you know the outcome.

14Corolla 07-12-2017 06:49 AM

Sounds good. The dealer will answer to Toyota for their decision. You can be confident it is basically Toyota's decision. Even from Japan if necessary. They stay on top of the dealerships.
I look forward to finding out what happens.
Notice.... All they're talking about is you possibly paying for the diagnostics. Nothing else mentioned about you paying for anything. :)

priusplugin0077 07-12-2017 07:16 AM

Certainly no offense taken.

priusplugin0077 07-12-2017 07:25 AM

Well... though they did provide me with a claim number we are very early in the process. The "Adolescent" that took the call was not well versed in the claims process and used a lot of vauge language when asked how the process would proceed.

priusplugin0077 08-14-2017 05:45 PM

As a preface in the previous conversation with toyota I was told that the nearest toyota dealership that could service the plugin was in Ftlauderdale, I explained to the rep that was over 300 miles from me I and asked for them to get back with me with a solution that would be acceptable to both sides and they agreed.
OK Here's what occurred yesterday in my conversation with the toyota representative. I spoke with the toyota rep who said that because the plugin was not distributed in my state the only acceptable solution to them would be for me to transport the vehicle to Ftlauderdale for evaluation and then transport the vehicle back. I asked if there were any other options and he continued to repeat the script. I said I did not find that as an acceptable resolution and asked to have the complaint raised to the next level he said this was the final word and they could not make any efforts towards a resolution.

I find it hard to believe that is how toyota would have liked the issue handled.
My next step will be to write the executives at toyota directly by certified mail.

JockoT 08-15-2017 03:40 AM

And post it here. And on every other Prius site you can find, and Facebook, and ......
Embarrass them as best you can!

What was the name of the dealership you contacted?

trollbait 08-15-2017 05:02 AM

"... the plugin was not distributed in my state the only acceptable solution to them would be for me to transport the vehicle to Ftlauderdale..."

It wasn't distributed in Florida either.

Post on Priuschat.com, and call out @Prius Team. Toyota actually watches that site.

priusplugin0077 08-22-2017 04:38 PM

I was composing my letter to Toyota national when In I got a call from someone at the national office advising that a semi local toyota dealer would do the diagnostic.
I took the car in today and the service manager said they found no deficits in the traction battery, however they did find that the 12 volt battery had some deficits. He said that due to the "learning" aspect of the car we keep hearing about that MAY affect the miles available per charge and they offered to replace the 12 volt battery for $300.

So is this as easy as removing the old battery and replacing it with a new battery as I have done with previous conventional vehicles or is there something unique about this vehicle?

LDB 08-22-2017 07:32 PM

Is that the same 12v battery Auto Zone sells for $119 and installs for free?

trollbait 08-23-2017 07:20 AM

Prime owners have reported some weirdness, like tail lights staying on, after the tint shop ran down.

Should be nothing special to install the battery. Be sure you get a vented battery, and have the tubing installed since it is in the cabin. The tube was snapped in my HHR. Thought nothing of it, and then there was a story about a poor woman and her child dying when the battery leaked hydrogen sulfide into the cabin.