Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   You guys have turned me into a freak (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/you-guys-have-turned-me-into-a-freak-1975.html)

fredvx 04-17-2006 12:50 PM

You guys have turned me into a freak

Hi Ya’ll. I’ve been looking at the site for a few weeks now and finally decided to join up. I am now possesed with getting better and better MPG's.

I have a 93 VX I bought from my uncle, who is the original owner. (This is my fourth Civic, I have one built for speed too.) The VX has 292k miles. I have replaced the timing belt, clutch, water pump and the $400.00 (ouch) O2 sensor. I am running P155/80R 13 tires. My best mileage was 53.6 MPG before I saw your site.

I went to my in-laws this weekend, and I thought I would try and see what I could do with some of the tips I found reading other posts.

I drove the VX this Saturday. We left at 4:30 in the morning and since My wife was sleeping (and I wasn’t in too big of a hurry anyway) I thought I would see if I could beat my 53.6 miles per gallon from before. The trip was from roughly Greenville, to Midway, Texas. Travel mostely on State Highways 69,19 and 21.

I filled up in Canton. I always fill up till the pump shuts off by itself and I do not top off after that. Same procedure every time.I drove VERY conservatively, trying to stay at close to or less than 50 miles an hour. I did not give any extra throttle going up hills, so I would slow to about 35 or 45, and I eased off the throttle going down hills or even coasted in neutral (motor running)to stay at the 50 – 55 level. Leaving a red light or stop sign, I shifted at 1500 RPM’s and took my time getting up to cruising speed.
Drove the same route coming back home.

Stopped back in Canton again to fill up…264.7 miles…3.8 gallons. I could not believe it when the pump cut off that early and, thinking it was messed up, I squeezed it again and only got .3 gallons more. That made it 4.1 gallons, or 64.56 MILES PER GALLON.

I had a headwind going down but that turned into a tail wind coming back. I drove the exact same route going down and back. Kept the windows up, did not run the A/C, lights on low beam only. Tire pressure was 42 front / 44 rear. Plus I’m running super skinny 155/80r -13 tires.

If I use the 3.8 gallons to compute, it comes out to 69.66 miles per gallon, but I’ll stick to the 4.1 and 64 MPG's.

Matt Timion 04-17-2006 12:54 PM

That's awesome fred! Oh,

That's awesome fred! Oh, and welcome to the site.

What would you say was the biggest contributing factor to your high mpg? Was it the coasting? Possibly the low speed?

I look forward to hearing more about your "freakiness" as you post more about yourself and your car.

thisisntjared 04-17-2006 01:03 PM

very nice results!! thats

very nice results!! thats nuts!! imagine what you can do with aero mods.....

n0rt0npr0 04-17-2006 01:24 PM

Welcome!!

Welcome!!

The only mods that helped you get to the new mpg was just the new tire pressures and the ultra ultra conservative driving?

krousdb 04-17-2006 02:36 PM

Re: You guys have turned me into a freak

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredvx
If I use the 3.8 gallons to compute, it comes out to 69.66 miles per gallon, but I’ll stick to the 4.1 and 64 MPG's.

Fred,
Based on your description of the trip, I would be more inclined to believe the 69 MPG number. Great job! And welcome!

SVOboy 04-17-2006 02:52 PM

Ya rly, when you get to be

Ya rly, when you get to be engine off coasting like some of the wizards on here you'll be taking over the gaslog!

molecule 04-17-2006 03:16 PM

i find that different pumps

i find that different pumps will cut off at differnt times...
i always fill up until gas comes out of the nozzle for visual accuracy...

but that is truly amazing...
i never broke 58mpg in my vx...but i always filled the tank after below E

fredvx 04-18-2006 09:28 AM

Thanks guys. I would say the

Thanks guys. I would say the biggest contributor would be taking FOREVER to accelerate. I mean, I would barely crack the throttle just enough to get the car moving, as little pressure on it as possible. There was nearly no traffic, being so early in the day.
My wife drives the car too (when I can talk her into NOT driving the Pathfinder) and she usually averages between 43-47 MPG. She was excited about the mileage but isn't bitten with it like I am.
The 53.6 was on stock tire size, driving to Dallas and back just taking my time. I really didn't think it would be so good. My uncle claimed 55 MPG when he owned it.
I am thinking next of fabbing some rear fender skirts. I'll probably be the only one to ride in it then. My daughter and wife just aren't going to be seen in a geeked out car.

Matt Timion 04-18-2006 09:41 AM

Re: Thanks guys. I would say the

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredvx
Thanks guys. I would say the biggest contributor would be taking FOREVER to accelerate. I mean, I would barely crack the throttle just enough to get the car moving, as little pressure on it as possible. There was nearly no traffic, being so early in the day.
My wife drives the car too (when I can talk her into NOT driving the Pathfinder) and she usually averages between 43-47 MPG. She was excited about the mileage but isn't bitten with it like I am.
The 53.6 was on stock tire size, driving to Dallas and back just taking my time. I really didn't think it would be so good. My uncle claimed 55 MPG when he owned it.
I am thinking next of fabbing some rear fender skirts. I'll probably be the only one to ride in it then. My daughter and wife just aren't going to be seen in a geeked out car.

I think using fender skirts will make me the only driver of my car too :)

Just curious, did your "lean burn" light come one during this trip?

fredvx 04-18-2006 11:15 AM

"Just curious, did your

"Just curious, did your "lean burn" light come one during this trip?
"

I don't know what that is, but I don't think so.