Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Recommendations for a tire gauge (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/recommendations-for-a-tire-gauge-1981.html)

Compaq888 04-18-2006 07:07 PM

Recommendations for a tire gauge

What tire gauge would you guys recommend for me that is very accurate and will go past 50psi.

This doesn't belong in general section because this is for mpg only, cheap tire gauges are for regular psi(30-35)

I need something that will be very, very accurate every time and when I inflate the tires at 50 or higher psi it will stay accurate. My regular one that is one that has the stick come out gets very inaccurate after 46-47psi. If I'm to go past 50psi I want it to be made that is at least made to go to 60psi.

It has to be affordable too, don't give me links for those pro ones that are $155.

philmcneal 04-18-2006 08:48 PM

coleman tire pressure is

coleman tire pressure is pretty good. Supports up to 200 psi and for digital i go with michellen tire pressure. The first costed me 20 bucks canadian and the digital set me back 50 bucks cnd.

The digital takes very long to fill to 50 psi, that's why i bought a 2nd one to speed up the process :)

Compaq888 04-18-2006 09:34 PM

so what's the best choice

so what's the best choice then?

philmcneal 04-19-2006 12:56 AM

i'll let you how accuate the

i'll let you how accuate the analog gauge in the coleman is, because i'm sure digital is better but the digital one can only be used with the 12volt (so car has to idle while i pump tires! bs). While the coleman has a built in battery in it, so it can be portable or charged either way (house plug too).

check back in 24 hours or less. My sidewall pressure is 51 so im going to tip toe to 55 psi or even 60 depending on how good this coleman pressure is. I have a power battery pack station air compressor as well but its gauge is way off (ok so i lied i got three!) so I rarely use it because recalibrating with the digital one ain't fun at all so hopefully this coleman i just bought will be good enough.

Compaq888 04-19-2006 01:09 AM

ok. I'm just looking for a

ok.

I'm just looking for a tire pressure gauge alone, no pumps. I want one that's portable and can be used on it's own power source, meaning I don't have to hook it up to anything to make it work. Make sure you include the product model.

molecule 04-19-2006 03:30 AM

i believe i got mine at

i believe i got mine at wal-mart on a discount shelf for $1-$2...
has a led light and is accurate to .1 psi
3 digit readout...
you have to reset it each time you take a reading...
so like 3 times per tire...which takes about 3 seconds to reset holding the button...
auto-off
true accuracy unknown...
i've had it over a year...still working on first battery

Compaq888 04-19-2006 06:37 PM

I went to autozone and they

I went to autozone and they had no selection. Went to Pep boys and bought a $18 digital that goes up to 150psi. It showed 1-2psi difference between my crappy .99 cent gauge and this one. I'm waiting till my tires cool off and will take it above 50psi.

With gas being $2.89 the cheapest around here I'm going to have to check my pressure often and have to make sure it's accurate.

philmcneal 04-20-2006 02:48 AM

do you have the 4 clylinder

do you have the 4 clylinder or 6?

GasSavers_brick 04-20-2006 04:14 AM

I'm a little late on this

I'm a little late on this one, but I bought a new gauge a couple weeks ago. Brookstone had a nice one with a huge dial indicator, and rather than being a solid piece it has two hoses so that I can connect it inline with my air compressor if I want to. $10 and it appears to be accurate.

Compaq888 04-20-2006 11:48 AM

Re: do you have the 4 clylinder

Quote:

Originally Posted by philmcneal
do you have the 4 clylinder or 6?

4 cylender Iron block and aluminum heads. One of the heaviest engines made.