Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   PCV catch can will increase mpg!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/pcv-catch-can-will-increase-mpg-1987.html)

Compaq888 04-20-2006 11:43 PM

PCV catch can will increase mpg!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a new revelation. Even the maxima guys are doing this mod and they are saying with this thing in place it doesn't lower the octane rating of the fuel so you get better bang.

Plus it keeps your intake manifold clean. With this thing you get a cleaner burn because now you have air and gas in the cylender, not air, gas and oil.

For most cars it's easy to install but on mine I really have to take some parts off to get to my PCV. So now I'm really going to do this, doesn't matter if I have to dissamble half of my car.

philmcneal 04-21-2006 02:04 AM

i wonder if a noob like me

i wonder if a noob like me can do this mod, oh man i don't even know what tools i got! How easy can it be? Is it as hard as say... installing a computer tower together from scratch?

Matt Timion 04-21-2006 05:59 AM

Re: i wonder if a noob like me

Quote:

Originally Posted by philmcneal
i wonder if a noob like me can do this mod, oh man i don't even know what tools i got! How easy can it be? Is it as hard as say... installing a computer tower together from scratch?

It's much easier than that.

Cut hose, put on catch can, clamp hose.

There, it's done.

zpiloto 04-21-2006 06:44 AM

Don't know if it will

Don't know if it will increase milage(didn't check it when I installed it) but it can't hurt anything and it good for the motor in the long run. I made mine out of a 4" long piece of 2" PVC. I've got about 5k on mine and it pretty clean. Been thinking lately that if I could figure out a way to put a bubbler in the PVC tank I could add different mixtures of coleman fuel, H2O2 etc and see what effect if any that has on milage.

SVOboy 04-21-2006 07:55 AM

Quote:i wonder if a noob

Quote:

Go to the DIY section, I just wrote this up! Piece of cake.

Compaq888 04-21-2006 10:54 AM

For hondas, especially old

For hondas, especially old ones it's easy to install.

If you don't think your unit works just have somebody else rev your car to redline and you should see a mist of oil while the car is revved up high.

Compaq888 04-21-2006 11:16 AM

How can I go about

How can I go about installing a PCV catch can if the line from the PCV to the intake manifold is metal???

molecule 04-21-2006 05:34 PM

reroute from the closest

reroute from the closest rubber off the crankcase to the catchcan...
then from the catchcan to the pcv valve

kickflipjr 04-28-2006 11:07 AM

I just installed a "home

I just installed a "home depot" catch can. It was $15 after tax. It took me 30 seconds to install it (literarly). It was a direct fit for the SL2's pcv system.

GasSavers_Danno 04-30-2006 09:59 AM

wow... i'm doing it!

wow... i'm doing it!

edit:

Is it better to run the fumes back to the intake manifold or just release them to the atmosphere (ground in my case)? :?