Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   An idea on hiding google ads (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/an-idea-on-hiding-google-ads-1998.html)

Matt Timion 04-23-2006 06:08 PM

An idea on hiding google ads

I had a thought regarding Google Ads that I thought I would run past everyone.

Most of the people who click on Google Ads are not regular posters. Usually they are lurkers or occassional posters of the site.

As a result regular posters still see ads and can get rather annoyed by them.

I was thinking of disabling the ads based on one of two criteria:

1) A small donation is made to the site to help pay for operating costs.

OR

2) Any user with a certain number of posts will automatically have their ads disabled.

I would like feedback on this idea, mainly the second one. If you like the second idea, what should the "magic" number be? 200 posts? 300?

As always, thanks for your participation in our common goal to reduce fuel consumption.

SVOboy 04-23-2006 06:18 PM

I think a certain time on

I think a certain time on the site would need to run in conjunction with the post count so as to discourage junk posts.

</opinion>

Matt Timion 04-23-2006 06:20 PM

Re: I think a certain time on

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
I think a certain time on the site would need to run in conjunction with the post count so as to discourage junk posts.

</opinion>

That is an excellent idea. The last thing we want is someone to post 200 junk posts just to remove the ads. What is a good time frame?

SVOboy 04-23-2006 06:23 PM

3 months? I figure that's

3 months? I figure that's also a good period in which to realize some FE gains.

Bunger 04-23-2006 06:35 PM

I like this idea a lot! 3

I like this idea a lot! 3 months and 150 (50 per month)... that seems about right???

Matt Timion 04-23-2006 06:45 PM

Re: I like this idea a lot! 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunger
I like this idea a lot! 3 months and 150 (50 per month)... that seems about right???

That seems like a good number. I'd like more input from other posters though. Is 150 too low of a number? Is 3 months too long? Is $30 too much to ask if someone wants the ads gone right away?

SVOboy 04-23-2006 06:49 PM

30$ ain't too much, mehbe

30$ ain't too much, mehbe suggested donation but then you get into stickiness. Most of my anime sites do donation and just have a count down and get like 5 bucks from some and 100 from others. But then again, marx said something about that...

philmcneal 04-24-2006 12:02 AM

the more you post,and time

the more you post,and time the less you have to donate?

Compaq888 04-24-2006 12:25 AM

$30 is too much. Also these

$30 is too much. Also these ads don't bother me one bit.

I use IE and I see them but it doesn't bother me. With firefox I don't see the ads at all. My attention is directed at the posts, not ads. If my eyes wandered all the time to the ads I would of never raised my mpg by 4.

krousdb 04-24-2006 01:29 AM

Re: I like this idea a lot! 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:

That seems like a good number. I'd like more input from other posters though. Is 150 too low of a number? Is 3 months too long? Is $30 too much to ask if someone wants the ads gone right away?

All of this seems reasonable.

molecule 04-24-2006 03:19 AM

i'd donate to the site...not

i'd donate to the site...not $30...and not to remove google ads...
however i think it would be sweet if they weren't there...
they could be replaced by like hot chicks and stuff
maybe you should do like...1 hot chick picture for every $10 donated
lol...

we could go out in our respective towns and have hot chics hold a big sign over their head
"I'VE GOT GAS !!!"

and then you get one...drawn randomly...after said donation...

Compaq888 04-24-2006 04:07 AM

Re: i'd donate to the site...not

Quote:

Originally Posted by molecule
i'd donate to the site...not $30...and not to remove google ads...
however i think it would be sweet if they weren't there...
they could be replaced by like hot chicks and stuff
maybe you should do like...1 hot chick picture for every $10 donated
lol...

we could go out in our respective towns and have hot chics hold a big sign over their head
"I'VE GOT GAS !!!"

and then you get one...drawn randomly...after said donation...

ROFLMFAO

Matt Timion 04-24-2006 12:08 PM

Every hour a script will be

Every hour a script will be run that will convert all users with over 150 posts and 90 days activity to the "no ads" group.

Bunger 04-24-2006 01:30 PM

Re: Every hour a script will be

Quote:

Every hour a script will be run that will convert all users with over 150 posts and 90 days activity to the "no ads" group.

I hope this sets the standard internet wide! =) Let it be known, the world over, that today is Matt "No Ads" Timion Day!!!

Matt Timion 04-24-2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I hope this sets the standard internet wide! =) Let it be known, the world over, that today is Matt "No Ads" Timion Day!!!

YAY!

That doesn't mean that we still don't want your donations :P

Bunger 04-24-2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

I donate knowledge almost every day. =) Not to mention the frequent pledges of sarcasm.

Compaq888 04-24-2006 05:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I donate knowledge almost every day. =) Not to mention the frequent pledges of sarcasm.

ROFLMAO.

It's pointless just to donate. Some forums have this thing where you donate a certain amount and they send you a gas card. Sometimes they even have prizes for members that donate. Maybe a $10 donation= gassavers.org sticker. Or a $30-40 donation =$20 gas card.

SVOboy 04-24-2006 05:40 PM

Quote:It's pointless just to

Quote:

It's pointless just to donate
Why?

Compaq888 04-24-2006 05:56 PM

because it's boring and we

because it's boring and we don't get anything in return. At least send us some gassavers.org stickers for a donation. Everybody wins that way. We represent the site and get more people in here.

Matt Timion 04-24-2006 06:47 PM

Re: because it's boring and we

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
because it's boring and we don't get anything in return. At least send us some gassavers.org stickers for a donation. Everybody wins that way. We represent the site and get more people in here.

Wow... I'm going to call Dish Network and tell them that I'm not getting anything in return for the $40 I spend every month on their service.

Seriously dude, you pay for TV, you pay for movies, you pay for magazines and books. Why is it so "pointless" to consider donating money for a service you use every day?

Compaq888 04-24-2006 06:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow... I'm going to call Dish Network and tell them that I'm not getting anything in return for the $40 I spend every month on their service.

Seriously dude, you pay for TV, you pay for movies, you pay for magazines and books. Why is it so "pointless" to consider donating money for a service you use every day?

I pay dish network too, but I get something in return. I don't pay for this website but you can get that money from ads.

The only reason I see for donation is people who donate should have better member features. Or should get something in return.

Matt Timion 04-24-2006 06:58 PM

Quote:

I pay dish network too, but I get something in return. I don't pay for this website but you can get that money from ads.

The only reason I see for donation is people who donate should have better member features. Or should get something in return.

You know what?

nevermind.

I give up.

Compaq888 04-24-2006 07:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You know what?

nevermind.

I give up.

I just want something in return when I spend money. That's my concept.

molecule 04-24-2006 10:56 PM

you get what you give

you get what you give

GasSavers_DaX 05-19-2006 11:45 AM

Hurray, I was able to make my first donation today!

thisisntjared 05-19-2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

I just want something in return when I spend money. That's my concept.

man you dont get it at all. this site has been given to us. we use it. its free to all. now if you loved and supported it, you wouldnt just support it with your time and post count, you would also support it with your finances.

you really need to unlearn your concept. it is very very selfish.

i agree with you about the google ads though, i forget they are there.

Matt Timion 05-19-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared
i agree with you about the google ads though, i forget they are there.

I guess I'm not making them annoying enough then, eh?

thisisntjared 05-19-2006 01:04 PM

when i first started browsing the site i noticed them and clicked a few times. then i just developed the mental block for that inch of my screen. i do the same thing on all sites that have ads...

MetroMPG 05-19-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

I just want something in return when I spend money.

i consider knowledge & external motivation as "something". not to mention the entertainment value.

as for the ads, most of the time i also have google blindness. but once in a while i remember to click for fun & profit - but only because i'm genuinely interested in the ad topic. anything else would be unethical.

philmcneal 05-19-2006 02:49 PM

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

^ honestly i don't know how that happened

what i meant to say was... WHATTTTTTTTTTTT you have to click on them too? Just for you Matt