Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   You know you're a fuel economy freak when... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/you-know-youre-a-fuel-economy-freak-when-2014.html)

Gary Palmer 08-08-2006 08:51 AM

137. You know your a fuel economy freak when you are helping to log and keep track of characteristic's of fellow freak's.

basjoos 08-09-2006 05:32 PM

138. You look look forward to roads with 45MPH and 35MPH speed limits since it allows you to "legally" travel at a nice fuel efficient speed without the "peer" pressure from other drivers to at least drive at the speed limit.

139. You curse when you look in your rear view mirror and see another car coming up behind you on a two lane road without a passing zone.

Compaq888 08-09-2006 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
I will try to remember to number them, in the future.

On 136, I think Compaq's point is that he had a nice comfortable car that got good mileage, but once he got involved in gas saver's, he decided that his car just wasn't good enough and so he went through the hassle to unload it and find something more acceptable. I don't think he'd have probably done that if it weren't for gassaver's.

Gary is right. I unloaded a comfortable, easy to drive, automatic with 4 doors for a every bump felt in the butt, hard to drive, manual with 2 doors.

The seats are stiff, the car is stiff, and so is the tranny. The only thing the altima was better was at handling, i swear. Surprising as it sounds.

Sean88 08-10-2006 04:05 AM

140. You are willing to draft behind a garbage truck despite the stench.

Got this one one my way to work this morning :).

Sludgy 08-10-2006 05:07 AM

141 You spend $32K for a diesel truck that gets an incredible 19 mpg highway. <slaps forehead>

zpiloto 08-10-2006 05:48 AM

142. You buy a Scangauge or SMID

Gary Palmer 08-10-2006 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basjoos
138. You look look forward to roads with 45MPH and 35MPH speed limits since it allows you to "legally" travel at a nice fuel efficient speed without the "peer" pressure from other drivers to at least drive at the speed limit.

139. You curse when you look in your rear view mirror and see another car coming up behind you on a two lane road without a passing zone.

Basjoos: These two are pretty darn funny, largely because it's so true. Thanks:p

Gary Palmer 08-10-2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean88
140. You are willing to draft behind a garbage truck despite the stench.

Got this one one my way to work this morning :).

Man, I don't know if the price for this one is worth it. Highly Questionable:D

GasSavers_brick 08-10-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

143. 139 happens three mornings out of five with the exact same vehicle approaching from the rear, you maintain the speed limit, and get passed despite the illegality every time.

144. You learn not to care about 143 because you would rather have that guy in front of you than behind, and are relieved that he at least has the courtesy to find an alternative to tailgating.

diamondlarry 08-10-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

You've been hiding in the back of my car, haven't you?:)

145. To prevent the cursing caused by 139 you tear off your rearview mirror.:p
145a. You also do this to reduce aero-drag.

MetroMPG 08-10-2006 11:43 AM

146. (Corollary to several points since 139...) A highway trip becomes notable when you overtake other vehicles along the way. This happened to me on the weekend ... they were driving too slow! Imagine.

GasSavers_brick 08-10-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
146. (Corollary to several points since 139...) A highway trip becomes notable when you overtake other vehicles along the way. This happened to me on the weekend ... they were driving too slow! Imagine.

147. You have passed someone in neutral without the engine running. (Couple weeks ago...sweet hill and a guy presumably wanted to save gas but needs to brush up on his physics.)

MetroMPG 08-10-2006 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brick
147. You have passed someone in neutral without the engine running.

:D :D You just reminded me...

147a) You pass someone in neutral with the engine off... going 150+ km/h (they were probably going 120). Down a mountain pass. 4-lanes. Crazy, yes, I know. (Not the Blackfly - it was in my 89 Accord.)

philmcneal 08-10-2006 11:46 PM

154 your starter is only used on a hot engine when possible ;D

155 you use your left leg to push 1 or 2 mph back, while your right foot is clutch starting the car. since if i try to move the car with my left leg and then use my left leg to clutch in while from N to R then i will grind the reverse gear (yes even when going backwards!) so I must hold the clutch with my right foot in R before attempting to move the car with my left foot.

now i can sneak out without waking anybody up (no cranking).

chesspirate 08-11-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher
150(a): When you have passengers, after a while they all start yelling at you to speed the hell up! (Your grandmother included!)

150(a)(b) you feel it's better to get into a fight with your wife about fuel economy than sacrifice the tank. (true story)

MetroMPG 10-06-2006 10:25 AM

156. You go somewhere on an errand that's just far enough to barely get the car warmed up. Then you're unexpectedly delayed while out of the car errand-ing, and you find yourself fretting over the fact that the car is cooling down too much while you're waiting, and you're going to have to take the cold-drivetrain FE hit all over again!

BEN_EJ8 10-06-2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
76) you no longer pick the shortest route to your destination... you'll drive out of your way for a more efficient path

Guilty as charged.

157. Instead of cursing and flipping off the idiotic truck driver who just pulled in front of you, causing you to slow down even though youre only going the speed limit and there is more than one lane, you proceed to draft him, and wave to him when you get the chance.

LxMike 10-06-2006 01:11 PM

158. you ride your bike 2 mile to the store for some icyhot. peddeling with one leg cause other knee is too sore to help out. knowing that you pass by the store on the home, but it's a left turn out in middle of the day.

kickflipjr 10-06-2006 02:58 PM

159. You run 4 stopsigns during a FAS bacause they would kill your momentum.
160. You have thought of ways to make a cars antenna more Aerodynamic.
161. You are happy when it is rush hour because the flow of traffic is 45mph not 70mph.

MetroMPG 10-06-2006 04:58 PM

162. You're almost disappointed - or wait, maybe you are disappointed - when gas prices fall...

LxMike 10-06-2006 05:11 PM

163. You go looking under your brothers cars dashboard to find the obd-2 connector to plug your scangauge in to check his cars fuel mileage.

DracoFelis 10-06-2006 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brick
33. You manage 25% over the EPA estimate for your car and drive yourself mad because it "isn't really that good."

That's child's play. The real version is:

164. Your last fillup is 25% over EPA estimate, and this causes you to worry about "What is broken in the car, to cause you to get FE that low?"....

BTW: Guilty as charged. My current theory is that my brakes may be sticking slightly (it feels a little like that, and the car is 15 years old now). If I'm correct, the extra (partial) brake drag is lowering my FE some, which logically means it's time to look into a brake job...

BEN_EJ8 10-06-2006 07:42 PM

165: You park and go inside Wendys, even though theres one car in the drive through and a ton of people inside waiting in line.

BEN_EJ8 10-06-2006 09:24 PM

166: You haven't exceeded 3500 rpms in about two months, so you floor it in first gear for the hell of it, and the acceleration feels like a corvette. You then look down at the gas gauge to see if the needle fell at all.

GasSavers_James 10-07-2006 02:24 PM

167. You shuffle your car around by pushing it to a spot where the engine will be heated by the sun several hours before driving.

BEN_EJ8 10-07-2006 03:01 PM

168: You put on your running shoes and athletic shorts, and go out and cut the grass in 17 minutes when it should take a half hour.

diamondlarry 10-07-2006 03:15 PM

Quote:

164. Your last fillup is 25% over EPA estimate, and this causes you to worry about "What is broken in the car, to cause you to get FE that low?"....
Guilty!:o I spent ~$500 dollars yesterday on some LRR tires and a front end alingment.

169. You get the front-end alignment not so much to keep the tires from wearing funny but, so it will cut down on the drag that is killing your FE.
170. You can't enjoy watching 2 Fast 2 Furious with your kid because all those engines whining at such high rpm's much be sucking gas like a fish sucks water.

kickflipjr 10-07-2006 04:56 PM

171. You get really mad because someone dosen't use there turn signal to make a left turn and you had to touch the brakes.

172. You know that you need to leave half mile buffer zone for the next time that might happen.

Compaq888 10-07-2006 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
Guilty!:o I spent ~$500 dollars yesterday on some LRR tires and a front end alingment.

169. You get the front-end alignment not so much to keep the tires from wearing funny but, so it will cut down on the drag that is killing your FE.
170. You can't enjoy watching 2 Fast 2 Furious with your kid because all those engines whining at such high rpm's much be sucking gas like a fish sucks water.

I'm never going to spend $500 on tires. The difference between regular tires and LRR tires is small. I personally never spent over $300 for 4 tires. I never got crappy tires, I just bargain with my tire guy when I buy tires.

philmcneal 10-07-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEN_EJ8
165: You park and go inside Wendys, even though theres one car in the drive through and a ton of people inside waiting in line.

173. when you go to macdonalds, you ride the starter at least 5 times before even taking your order! Since you already banked away money to replace it if it fails!

diamondlarry 10-07-2006 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
I'm never going to spend $500 on tires. The difference between regular tires and LRR tires is small. I personally never spent over $300 for 4 tires. I never got crappy tires, I just bargain with my tire guy when I buy tires.

I should note that they were Goodyear Assurance Comfortread's. Another good feature they had was a very good rating for snow which always seems to come every year in this area.:mad: A friend of mine refers to snow as "sky poop.":p
I just reviewed my bill and here is the breakdown:
4 tires@ $85 dollars each
mount, balance, valves 4@ $13 each
replacement tire fee-House act #142 4@ $.25 each
tire disposal 4@ $2 each
4 wheel alignment 1@ $59.99
Total: $460.99 + 6% tax = $484.51

Compaq888 10-07-2006 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
I should note that they were Goodyear Assurance Comfortread's. Another good feature they had was a very good rating for snow which always seems to come every year in this area.:mad: A friend of mine refers to snow as "sky poop.":p
I just reviewed my bill and here is the breakdown:
4 tires@ $85 dollars each
mount, balance, valves 4@ $13 each
replacement tire fee-House act #142 4@ $.25 each
tire disposal 4@ $2 each
4 wheel alignment 1@ $59.99
Total: $460.99 + 6% tax = $484.51

HOLY, wow. You should of shopped around. Here's how I talk to my tire guy.

Me: "I need some BFGoodrich Traction T/A H" (I know they were being sold for around $61 per tire)

Him: "how many you need?"

Me: "2"

Him: "It's going to be $160"

Me: "how many times I hooked you up with some customers??"

Him: "$150 and they are in stock"

Me: That includes taxes, installation, and all the fees, RIGHT??????

Him: "yes"

Me: "cool, I'll be there tommorow morning"

diamondlarry 10-07-2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
HOLY, wow. You should of shopped around. Here's how I talk to my tire guy.

Me: "I need some BFGoodrich Traction T/A H" (I know they were being sold for around $61 per tire)

Him: "how many you need?"

Me: "2"

Him: "It's going to be $160"

Me: "how many times I hooked you up with some customers??"

Him: "$150 and they are in stock"

Me: That includes taxes, installation, and all the fees, RIGHT??????

Him: "yes"

Me: "cool, I'll be there tommorow morning"

Unfortunately for me, I don't know any tire guys that well.:(

Peakster 10-08-2006 12:15 AM

Quote:

166: You haven't exceeded 3500 rpms in about two months, so you floor it in first gear for the hell of it, and the acceleration feels like a corvette.
I was really getting angry that I was having trouble finding a parking spot at my university 2 days ago. With a bit of rage, I gunned my car in first gear for a moment.
I've been driving in crazy low rpm the whole past month that I was like: "who the hell would build a car with so much needless power?!" (btw, my car has 55 HP)

174. When you are slowly merging on the onramp to get onto the freeway, a truck pins the gas and passes you on the shoulder and cuts you off... only to have him 4 cars ahead when you exit the freeway.

175. You haven't used your horn in months because you know you'll just lose anyway.

Compaq888 10-08-2006 02:32 AM

176. A pick up truck is tailgating you and you see that he goes around you to pass but there is not enough space inbetween the cars. So you keep downshifting till you make sure there is absolutly no way he'll pass you. Then you cringe as the fuel gauge is falling.

I was going 65mph:rolleyes:

177. You get such an economical car that you actually start to drive more. So the gas bill stays the same between your gas guzzler and your economical replacement car.

Compaq888 10-08-2006 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr
171. You get really mad because someone dosen't use there turn signal to make a left turn and you had to touch the brakes.

172. You know that you need to leave half mile buffer zone for the next time that might happen.

178. Somebody cuts into your buffer zone and you have to slam on the brakes.:mad:

CO ZX2 11-17-2006 03:58 AM

To: Compac888 Your post is immeasurably better than the lame jokes that folks like to email you every day.

Sad (grin) but true.

179. You can't take your wife with you because she weighs 85#.
180. You can't take your cat anywhere because she weighs 9#.
181. You tell your wife to drive your gas-guzzling pickup today to keep her out of the car.
182. You're thinking of lightweight underwear, WAIT no underwear.
183. You ask the shoe salesman if he has a scale.

Ted Hart 11-17-2006 05:35 AM

An ICE is an air pump!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77

30. You shift the automatic in N at lights or,

I question your technique of putting an auto trans in "N" at a red light ; if airflow determines fuel flow...what happens when "N" is engaged? The engine increases in RPMs, right? More air = more fuel , does it not?
Why not just turn off the engine? No RPMs = no fuel flow! :cool:

argylesocks 11-17-2006 07:03 AM

Quote:

148: You flip stoplights the bird with both hands when they turn red on you.

so glad im not the only one to do this... :)

Quote:

153: Your energy obsession doesn't stop with cars. You heavily insulate your house, freeze all winter, and roast all summer to keep the bills down.

https://inthesewoods.blogspot.com/
haha... read my post from a couple days ago regarding my 'ghetto windows project"

smartzuuk 11-17-2006 10:05 AM

I am so guilty of # 148... Is there a compiled list somewhere? Or did I just volunteer to make one and host it?