Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   possible switch to vbulletin (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/possible-switch-to-vbulletin-2017.html)

Matt Timion 04-27-2006 09:29 AM

possible switch to vbulletin

I would like some feedback from you guys on this one.

Right now we're using a software called Drupal, which is a highly configurable CMS (content management system). It's mainly used for blog sites (www.blogger.com) and news sites (www.theonion.com).

It's very powerful if you are using it for the right thing. Drupals strongpoint has never been forums, which is exactly the problem.

The forum module on this software is lacking in so many ways.

I admin another forum that uses vbulletin and I've grown to like it more and more. It's very user friendly and it's VERY easy to administer. It's highly customizable and the load times are really fast.

I think I'm sold, but I need to first find out if the move will be supported by the users here.

If we do make the move it will happen all behind the scenes, so don't expect any downtime. The messages will all be transferred over to the new software, and I'll also figure out a way to make the old links still work. MPG data and garage info will also be transferred, albeit slowly.

I'm looking for a more stable, user friendly software to host our growing community.

I'd love feedback and thoughts on this. It will most likely take a while to do as I'll have to create a bunch of custom scripts to transfer everything over. I'd like to get started however and see how much I can do.

Compaq888 04-27-2006 09:47 AM

yes to Vbulletin. Will we

yes to Vbulletin. Will we get the latest version?

krousdb 04-27-2006 09:48 AM

Sweeeet!

Sweeeet!

Matt Timion 04-27-2006 10:03 AM

Re: yes to Vbulletin. Will we

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
yes to Vbulletin. Will we get the latest version?

I think 3.5.4 is the latest version, so yes.

Like I said, this could take a while. I have this combined with about 12 other projects I have going on right now. I might want to prioritize this one though as it will most likely remove many of my other headaches.

Compaq888 04-27-2006 10:31 AM

cool

cool

Matt Timion 04-27-2006 11:47 AM

I just purchased the license

I just purchased the license and have begun installation.

rh77 04-27-2006 12:14 PM

Sites to "Test Drive"

Are there sites that use the program that you'd recommend visiting to try it out?

RH77

SVOboy 04-27-2006 01:15 PM

The onion is worth visiting

The onion is worth visiting for hilarity!

Matt Timion 04-27-2006 01:21 PM

Re: Sites to "Test Drive"

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
Are there sites that use the program that you'd recommend visiting to try it out?

RH77

I would visit www.Bikeforums.net to see a nice clean example of vbulletin, and because it's run by a friend of mine.

SVOboy 04-27-2006 01:24 PM

Oops, I suck

Oops, I suck