Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Bad Fuel Economy of 4e-fe (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/bad-fuel-economy-of-4e-fe-20205.html)

Xadeem 09-05-2018 10:58 PM

Bad Fuel Economy of 4e-fe

Hi!
I am new here and hoping to find some answer that why my car is giving me average of 4km/L?
I have 1992 Toyota Corolla with 4e-fe inside. All sensors are working but dont know why its giving me that bad. Just installed Custom cold air intake and TRD Exhaust.
Is there anyone who can help me out to improve my cars economy?

JockoT 09-05-2018 11:48 PM

Welcome. Were you seeing the same figures before you made the modifications?
4km/L is 25L/100km or 8 - 10 mpg. Sounds like you have a hole in your tank or someone is stealing your petrol!

Xadeem 09-06-2018 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 198743)
Welcome. Were you seeing the same figures before you made the modifications?
4km/L is 25L/100km or 8 - 10 mpg. Sounds like you have a hole in your tank or someone is stealing your petrol!

No the Stock Engine was 2E but when I swapped my Engine to 4e-fe then it gave me that bad average. but then I completed all the sensors but nothing happened. Tank is okay there is no hole and no one is steeling but 1 thing is happening, when I get my windows down i get the smell of petrol in running car but when i park and engine is running all smell gone. checked fuel pipes my self as well as a mechanic also did but nothing found. I dont know why that happening will be very thankful if you guide me. I am from Pakistan.

Xadeem 09-06-2018 06:37 AM

No the Stock Engine was 2E but when I swapped my Engine to 4e-fe then it gave me that bad average. but then I completed all the sensors but nothing happened. Tank is okay there is no hole and no one is steeling but 1 thing is happening, when I get my windows down i get the smell of petrol in running car but when i park and engine is running all smell gone. checked fuel pipes my self as well as a mechanic also did but nothing found. I dont know why that happening will be very thankful if you guide me. I am from Pakistan.

trollbait 09-07-2018 06:27 AM

Sounds like you have a leak or even running really rich when there is a load on the engine, and the evidence evaporates away before it can be found. There are UV dyes for finding coolant, A/C, and oil leaks, perhaps there is one for fuels.

Check the spark plugs first, evidence of running rich should be seen on them.

JockoT 09-07-2018 08:11 AM

I had a Triumph 2.5 PI that ran so rich I had to swap the spark plugs every day (sometimes got two days out of them). I still managed 18 mpg UK.

Xadeem 09-07-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 198749)
Sounds like you have a leak or even running really rich when there is a load on the engine, and the evidence evaporates away before it can be found. There are UV dyes for finding coolant, A/C, and oil leaks, perhaps there is one for fuels.

Check the spark plugs first, evidence of running rich should be seen on them.

I saw the spark plugs n they are fine. Having brown color.

JockoT 09-08-2018 01:16 AM

If the plugs were fine you must have fuel escaping somewhere. You need to check the tank, every fuel line and every joint to see where you are losing it. I would imagine that with the temperatures you experience in Pakistan, leaking fuel evaporates very quickly, but there must be some signs.
Only other reason to go through so much fuel, and not see sooty plugs, would be badly seized brakes.

trollbait 09-09-2018 07:36 AM

I had under tightened the plugs on a car once. As a result, occasionally gas could be smelt with the windows down. No sign of any leaking when I went to retighten them.