Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Vehicles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Volkswagen XL1 (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/volkswagen-xl1-20861.html)

VW_XL1 01-06-2020 04:00 AM

Volkswagen XL1

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I purchased a VW XL1 brand new in 2015. I use it quite a lot (in all weathers and for most everyday purposes) and have done almost 8000 miles now. I'd be happy to discuss the car / answer any questions! Regards, Ed

Draigflag 01-06-2020 08:17 AM

Hello, I'm a big fan of the XL1, awesome feat of engineering! I went to see one 3 years ago in a showroom, it was for sale but was a bit pricey to say the least. Shame it never made mass production as I would have bought one in the drop of a hat if it were priced properly!

LDB 01-06-2020 12:32 PM

I'm not familiar with that one. Post pics when you get the chance.

luv2spd 01-06-2020 01:17 PM

I have a few questions good sir if you don't mind answering. I'm a big fan of the XL1 as well. Here it goes:

1. Where do you buy tires for such a car? I know a lot of people complain about the BMW i3's tires only lasting 15,000 miles in the rear. With the XL1 having the same skinny tires and the rear wheels being used as the driven wheel and the regen, it probably doesn't last that long either. Only Bridgestone makes tires for the BMW i3 and i8.

2. Are these the correct wheel and tire sizes for the car: Front: 3.5x15 115/80-15 Rear: 4x17 135/50-17?

3. How often do you need to change the oil in the diesel generator, did you have to change it yet?

4. There was a rumor that you had to submit a few page essay to VW to be able to qualify as a buyer for one of these, is this true?

Draigflag 01-06-2020 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Beautiful lightweight low drag aerodynamic diesel hybrid, only made a couple of hundred. You have to see one to fully appreciate them. Was supposed to be one of VW's cheapest mass produced cars, however it never made full scale production, so ended up being one of thier most expensive. The one I saw was around £100,000. Just as the emissions scandal was unfolding too, bad timing, which is a shame because it could do well over 200 MPG without even trying...

VW_XL1 01-07-2020 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 200584)
Hello, I'm a big fan of the XL1, awesome feat of engineering! I went to see one 3 years ago in a showroom, it was for sale but was a bit pricey to say the least. Shame it never made mass production as I would have bought one in the drop of a hat if it were priced properly!

If I'm not mistaken, the one you went to see was (at the time) owned by Swansway Garages in Crewe (a VW dealer). They actually offered for sale at £129,990 for a time. It later went to auction at the NEC Classic Car Show on 9th Nov 2018 (the auctioneers were Silverstone Auctions), and it sold for £103,167 including premium. I'm now in contact with the buyer (a great guy!) who like me does get out and use the car a lot, even including trips to Italy.

I agree with you that it's a great pity the XL1 was not mass produced. I wish they had made a new, much less expensive version that looked the same but without the expensive efficiency features like carbon fibre and magnesium and made it pure electric. With aluminium or steel body and bigger battery it would have been a lot heavier but I bet the mpg would still have been quite impressive. Even then though, I fear the look of the car is too extreme for most buyers - people generally don't like to be stared at all the time on the road. Personally it doesn't bother me at all - after all it's the car they are interested in, not the driver!

VW_XL1 01-07-2020 04:30 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDB (Post 200586)
I'm not familiar with that one. Post pics when you get the chance.

Here are some pics of my car.

VW_XL1 01-07-2020 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2spd (Post 200587)
I have a few questions good sir if you don't mind answering. I'm a big fan of the XL1 as well. Here it goes:

1. Where do you buy tires for such a car? I know a lot of people complain about the BMW i3's tires only lasting 15,000 miles in the rear. With the XL1 having the same skinny tires and the rear wheels being used as the driven wheel and the regen, it probably doesn't last that long either. Only Bridgestone makes tires for the BMW i3 and i8.

2. Are these the correct wheel and tire sizes for the car: Front: 3.5x15 115/80-15 Rear: 4x17 135/50-17?

3. How often do you need to change the oil in the diesel generator, did you have to change it yet?

4. There was a rumor that you had to submit a few page essay to VW to be able to qualify as a buyer for one of these, is this true?

The tyres were designed specially for the XL1 by Michelin, to have low rolling resistance and light weight but great grip. They are readily available but only from VW I believe, and cost around £800 GBP each. The good news is, they are extremely hard wearing and there is actually a car in Germany that is still on its first set of tyres after over 40,000 Km!

The tyre sizes are: 115/80 R15 (front) and 145/55 R16 (rear).

Lots more info on the XL1 in its brochure:
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/l...1-brochure.pdf

The diesel engine propels the car, it is not a generator as such. The car is either propelled by diesel engine or by electric motor or by both, depending on what the on board computer thinks is more efficient at any one moment.

The car has to be serviced every 3000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes sooner. It has to go to VW's technical centre in Milton Keynes (other VW dealers wouldn't know how to do it). They send a covered trailer to collect and return it. Mine has been for its annual service 4 times now. Oil and filter is always changed as you would expect.

When I originally contacted VW to express interest in buying one (October 2014) they asked me to send them an email explaining why I wanted to buy it and how I would use it. I don't think they wanted them bought by collectors who would hide them away and not use them. I wanted to use it a lot and take it to lots of car events so I guess I was the kind of buyer they wanted!

VW_XL1 01-07-2020 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 200589)
Beautiful lightweight low drag aerodynamic diesel hybrid, only made a couple of hundred. You have to see one to fully appreciate them. Was supposed to be one of VW's cheapest mass produced cars, however it never made full scale production, so ended up being one of thier most expensive. The one I saw was around £100,000. Just as the emissions scandal was unfolding too, bad timing, which is a shame because it could do well over 200 MPG without even trying...

All correct!

VW_XL1 01-07-2020 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2spd (Post 200587)

The tyres were designed specially for the XL1 by Michelin, to have low rolling resistance and light weight but great grip. They are readily available but only from VW I believe, and cost around £800 GBP each. The good news is, they are extremely hard wearing and there is actually a car in Germany that is still on its first set of tyres after over 40,000 Km!

The tyre sizes are: 115/80 R15 (front) and 145/55 R16 (rear).

Lots more info on the XL1 in its brochure:
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/l...1-brochure.pdf

The diesel engine propels the car, it is not a generator as such. The car is either propelled by diesel engine or by electric motor or by both, depending on what the on board computer thinks is more efficient at any one moment.

The car has to be serviced every 3000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes sooner. It has to go to VW's technical centre in Milton Keynes (other VW dealers wouldn't know how to do it). They send a covered trailer to collect and return it. Mine has been for its annual service 4 times now. Oil and filter is always changed as you would expect.

When I originally contacted VW to express interest in buying one (October 2014) they asked me to send them an email explaining why I wanted to buy it and how I would use it. I don't think they wanted them bought by collectors who would hide them away and not use them. I wanted to use it a lot and take it to lots of car events so I guess I was the kind of buyer they wanted!