Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   the publics opinion of what good mileage is (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/the-publics-opinion-of-what-good-mileage-is-2104.html)

GasSavers_Ryland 05-14-2006 07:50 PM

the publics opinion of what good mileage is

I was talking to someone the other day about the new yaris, and they said "someone's full of it, a normal car can't get 40mpg" by normal, I think they ment, no hybrids, no diesels, I of course told them that there are "normal" cars, like mine that I drove there, that get much better then 40mpg, and that there are those of us who, to put $30 of gas in a vehicle, would need a gas can in the trunk.
so why is it that 40mpg is thought of as being an unrealisicly high gas mileage for "normal" cars to get? and that 30mpg is "great milge" I've called about crx's for sale that the people said they got "great mileage" and when I asked for numbers one guy even said "25-30" I was shocked, and had to ask if it ran well enough that I would be able to drive it home with that kind of poor mileage, and he was extreamly confused.

maybe it's no wonder that people don't demand better mileage, they don't know what the options are.

SVOboy 05-14-2006 07:54 PM

I got the same thing with my

I got the same thing with my CRX, she was all, it's great, and I was like, rly, so she says, 32 mpg, so I'm all, *tear*, but then again, she drove it at 85mph for 150 miles a day, :p

kickflipjr 05-14-2006 08:03 PM

Some people are surpised

Some people are surpised that I get 32mpg. My uncle just got an 93 audi
90 (it is rated at 16/25 and he thinks that is good).

The Toecutter 05-14-2006 11:12 PM

We have Detroit telling them

We have Detroit telling them an 18 mile per gallon Chevrolet Suburban is 'fuel efficient', so it's little wonder...

philmcneal 05-15-2006 12:00 AM

haha yeah some people are

haha yeah some people are just happy with what they got.

For the majority, they still wouldn't sacraface a few luxury features for FE its not that important to people yet...

Sludgy 05-15-2006 05:13 AM

Great mileage for me would

Great mileage for me would be 20 city 25 mpg highway. I drive a full size pickup for the legroom and because I go camping off road.

20/25 is realistic in a full size pickup. For example, Navistar & Ford just kissed and made up over their disatrous Powerstroke 6.0 diesel. They now offer a 200 HP 4.5 diesel V6 in Ford's new commercial LCF van.

Ford could put this motor in an F250 pickup and get 20/25. With a tonneau, manual tranny and the right gearing, I'll bet you could hypermile it to 30 mpg highway.

Likewise, GM could put the Isuzu 5.2 L4 its pickups, and Dodge could use a 3.9 L Cummins four. It makes me grit my teeth.

GasSavers_DaX 05-15-2006 06:00 AM

When I get 50 mpg from my

When I get 50 mpg from my Civic I'll consider that really good mileage for a 1.5L IC engine.

95metro 05-15-2006 07:14 AM

I asked a guy about his

I asked a guy about his Saturn's mileage one time and he responded with, "500 km per tank."

...???...???...

I had nothing to say to that.

It is strange though that most people consider 30 mpg really good. I consider 35 mpg as okay, 40 mpg as good, 50 mpg as impressive, and anything over that as amazing up to "Wow!"

mtbiker278 05-15-2006 11:24 AM

I'm happy with my mileage

typically I can get around 35mpg, which I think is relatively good at this point in time. consistent 40mpg tanks should be on the way though. I would be extremely happy with a 50mpg tank from my 1.8L engine, but I think I would need to do some extensive modifications to get there.

Compaq888 05-15-2006 12:20 PM

Re: I'm happy with my mileage

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbiker278
typically I can get around 35mpg, which I think is relatively good at this point in time. consistent 40mpg tanks should be on the way though. I would be extremely happy with a 50mpg tank from my 1.8L engine, but I think I would need to do some extensive modifications to get there.

I'm also a member at 8thgencivic and there are members who make 40mpg tanks. If I'm not mistaken you have an auto. At 2500rpm you're at 80mph. Some people would kill for that kind of rpm at that speed. I heard rumors that your car gets it's best mpg at 67mph, try that.