Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Warning: Bad to bump start and skip gears (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/warning-bad-to-bump-start-and-skip-gears-2116.html)

SVOboy 05-17-2006 08:27 PM

Quote:I have a stockpile of

Quote:

I have a stockpile of 0W-20. I might be able to spare some for you are interested.
I need about 6 quarts to do my engine/tranny, so I'll just find it myself and not bum it off you.

GasSavers_Ryland 05-17-2006 08:58 PM

I've alwas been told that

I've alwas been told that bump starting is ideal, because it's less stress on the engine then useing the starter, and that having the engine turning befor it's under load alows oil to be pumped thru it to vital parts preventing as much wear, of course if you were doing it alot, it might be a good idea to get an electric oil pump to flip on for a few seconds befor/as you start the car.

philmcneal 05-17-2006 10:11 PM

Re: I've alwas been told that

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland
I've alwas been told that bump starting is ideal, because it's less stress on the engine then useing the starter, and that having the engine turning befor it's under load alows oil to be pumped thru it to vital parts preventing as much wear, of course if you were doing it alot, it might be a good idea to get an electric oil pump to flip on for a few seconds befor/as you start the car.

how much is a lot? like 8 to 10 a lot on a 15 minute trip?

You know what sucks? I asked 3 mechanics that has been fixing cars for 20 years at least and even they don't have a real answer to bump starting.

Such a shame is it? THAT"S WHY I"M THE GUINNEA PIG :D

WisJim 05-18-2006 09:39 AM

Years ago, my VW Beetle starter quit, and I didn't replace it for 3 or 4 years, and tried to park so I could coast a bit to start it. Never had any problems that I can imagine were related to bump starting. I don't think that it is of any concern.

Matt Timion 05-18-2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisJim
Years ago, my VW Beetle starter quit, and I didn't replace it for 3 or 4 years, and tried to park so I could coast a bit to start it. Never had any problems that I can imagine were related to bump starting. I don't think that it is of any concern.

I agree. years ago my battery died and I was too poor to get a new one (wouldn't hold a charge). Luckily i lived on a very small hill that was just big enough to give me the momentum to get it started. Unfortunately I didn't work on a hill, so I required a jump for a while.

Those were the days.

Anyway, welcome to the site WisJim. Tell us a bit more about yourself in the Introduction section.

JanGeo 05-18-2006 11:37 AM

bump starting

What !!! you never push started your cars??

Big motorcycles are fun to do . . . you run along side and then jump on the seat and land hard while dumping the clutch to keep more pressure on the rear tire to keep it from skidding and locking up . . . yeah! Then you realize you forgot to turn on the ignition and you start all over again!

Mechanics are only interested in fixing the engines not figuring out what makes them break - for that you need to talk to an engineer. Every start is a high wear operation, rings and pistons are not moving - metal to metal contact causes wear. This is why having teflon impregnated parts and other metal coating friction reducers are important. It will take years for you to notice the effects but that is the true test - time will tell.

tomauto 05-18-2006 12:52 PM

bump starting

I am standing behind bump starting as a great way to save gas. On my last tank I acheived 43 mpg. It was great fun.

The least you could do in a manual is coast down the hills in neutral. Over my trip that is what I did. One one of the stints I achieved a decent 41 mpg. All Highway and drafting behind a semi.

GasSavers_Randy 05-18-2006 09:41 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with bump starting. Cold starts certainly aren't good, but these are warm starts.

I also don't think having oil pressure to start would help much. As long as there's oil in the bearing, it floats as soon as you turn it. There's really no improvement with pressure, because it's exerted from all sides (the wrist pin may be an exception here). The pressure system is for keeping the bearings cool, clean, and well oiled, not to float them.

The driveshaft concern doesn't make any sense. Accelerating in first has to be much more stressful on them. Driveshafts fail mostly from ripped boots or hot-rodding in low gears. Check them often and they'll last the life of the car.

Now, you do loose power steering, possibly power brakes, and you could even lock the wheel if you work at it. I think it's way better to live with this than to freak out when it happens accidentally. People don't seem to grasp that the brakes and steering still work, you just have to work at it. Then again, they're made to be boosted so they're much harder to use than a pure-manual system.

I've just started trying to bump-start, so I don't have much experience. There does seem to be some places where it makes sense to coast down and then re-start instead of just running up and hitting the brakes.

philmcneal 05-19-2006 01:30 AM

the only problem imo is making them smooth, I find the lower the speed, the more difficult to not make the bump less noticeable (you really feel the BUMP) when you try to do it in 2nd I find. And its harder to keep revs low when bumping, I find sometimes when I'm lucky I can score a 1200 rpm bump. That's when its so smooth and the engine is like, "Ah I'm done from my 2 min nap, what's up?" and not even a sound comes into the interior bay instead of a tiny rev and a "click".

Any tips to making it as smooth as possible?

Do you guys have a list of speeds that you'll bump accordingly?

tomauto 05-19-2006 08:44 AM

Bump start help

Well, when I bump start, I never put the clutch out all the way.
When restarting...

Check that ignition is on >
Push clutch in >
Select gear (4th or 5th) >
Slowly ease out clutch until it engages and starts vehicle >
(this is usually about 1/2 way)
Push clutch in again and select highest gear >
Climb hill >

Speeds for starting [bump in this gear]

30 or less (coming to stop) - [3rd]
30 or more (around town) - [4th]
Highway (any speed) - [5th]

Also, when getting back into gear on the highway, try and rev match as best you can.