Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   What is Hypermilling? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/what-is-hypermilling-2188.html)

GasSavers_Ryland 05-24-2006 10:59 PM

What is Hypermilling?

I've searched around a bit, and havn't found a good definition of hypermilling, but have seen it being used alot, so what is it?

krousdb 05-25-2006 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland
I've searched around a bit, and havn't found a good definition of hypermilling, but have seen it being used alot, so what is it?

It depends on the forum. At GH and CMPG you achieve hypermiler status when your average FE is greater than the EPA combined for your vehicle. At gassavers, you have to be 20% above the EPA combined to have hypermiler status which is equivalent to a Valedictorian Hypermiler at GH. At CMPG, you achieve the status of Elite Hypermiler when you exceed EPA combined by 50%. Yes, it is difficult to keep all of it straight.

Matt Timion 05-25-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
It depends on the forum. At GH and CMPG you achieve hypermiler status when your average FE is greater than the EPA combined for your vehicle. At gassavers, you have to be 20% above the EPA combined to have hypermiler status which is equivalent to a Valedictorian Hypermiler at GH. At CMPG, you achieve the status of Elite Hypermiler when you exceed EPA combined by 50%. Yes, it is difficult to keep all of it straight.

I've been considering adding another level of hypermiling to the list, but am not exactly sure of the name/number. Any thoughts?

Compaq888 05-25-2006 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I've been considering adding another level of hypermiling to the list, but am not exactly sure of the name/number. Any thoughts?

um 10% is a hypermiller wannabe???

seriosly some of us won't see that 20%. It's sometimes very hard to drive like that. Sometimes you got to mash the gas. It's a stress reducer.

GasSavers_katman 05-25-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
It's sometimes very hard to drive like that. Sometimes you got to mash the gas. It's a stress reducer.

AMEN!!!!!!

There STUPID program! 10 characters!

GasSavers_brick 05-25-2006 09:57 AM

Lots of factors impact your mileage, some of which you can control and some of which you can't. If you only ever drive short routes on a cold engine (e.g. you live close to work or school), your mileage will suffer. Not your fault, but you should feel good because you use less fuel than someone who gets better FE but drives 5 times as much. Maybe the traffic is always terrible and there is no way around it. Again, kills FE but not really your fault. So from that perspective you can't live and die by everyone else's numbers in the gaslog. It's all about how you do vs. if you just drove hard like everybody else. In other words, just compete against yourself and others who have similar vehicles/conditions.
Quote:

Sometimes you got to mash the gas. It's a stress reducer.

That falls into the other category: behavior that you can correct. Just understand that using your car to vent frustration will harm your gas mileage. You don't "got" to, you choose to. It's entirely your call.

95metro 05-25-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katman
There STUPID program! 10 characters!

:confused:

Compaq888 05-25-2006 10:09 AM

most of the time I drive my car to school and there is nothing I can do but get stuck in traffic. If I really drove 50/50 city/freeway then i would say 32+mpg all the time.

thisisntjared 05-25-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

um 10% is a hypermiller wannabe???

i like that one:)even though i think i still fall in that catagory:o
Quote:

seriosly some of us won't see that 20%. It's sometimes very hard to drive like that. Sometimes you got to mash the gas. It's a stress reducer.

its true that some of us wont see the 20% but thats because we are not ambitious enough to get there.

and like everyone else said, its a choice man. theres nothing wrong with choosing it. i do and i take responsibility for it.

Compaq888 05-25-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared
i like that one:)even though i think i still fall in that catagory:o
its true that some of us wont see the 20% but thats because we are not ambitious enough to get there.

and like everyone else said, its a choice man. theres nothing wrong with choosing it. i do and i take responsibility for it.

I sit in traffic all the time and the best i could produce is 29.9, which is not even that 20%. There is no choice for me.