Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   How "normal" people view FE driving techniques? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/how-normal-people-view-fe-driving-techniques-2277.html)

MetroMPG 06-08-2006 07:45 PM

How "normal" people view FE driving techniques?

Every once in a while, I'll see a link in my web logs to another forum that has picked up on something on MetroMPG.com

Someone at the Saturnfans.com forum posted a fairly reasonable question about Pulse & Glide driving, and linked to a page about the technique (and the Prius record-setting marathon) on my site.

The comments are simultaneously pretty darned funny, and an eye opener on how other people view our otherwise healthy interest in FE.

https://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78909

My absolute favourite comment:

Quote:

That's one of the stupidest things I have heard lately. [ ... ] I must admit I didn't read his complete article, already I've wasted enough time on it.
:D

(BTW, is zzyx7 a GS member? If he is, I didn't mean any offense by posting this. His comments are actually reasonable.)

Compaq888 06-08-2006 07:48 PM

most people are stupid. I don't know how the society has evolved thus far.

philmcneal 06-08-2006 07:52 PM

man you should see my 7thgencivic thread, it has spawn into 12 pages of hate towards those who pump their tires over sidewall pressure -_-;

i'm so glad I ended it, it was going to get messy. So i'll have to agree with compaq said, people refuse to look at the whole picture instead of just reading what they want to read.

Matt Timion 06-08-2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philmcneal
man you should see my 7thgencivic thread, it has spawn into 12 pages of hate towards those who pump their tires over sidewall pressure -_-;

i'm so glad I ended it, it was going to get messy. So i'll have to agree with compaq said, people refuse to look at the whole picture instead of just reading what they want to read.

Unfortunately that's just the way it is. I enjoy talking to people about fuel economy, but I often realize that the most people care is to discuss how expensive gas is, or how crappy their fuel economy is.

For the most part people don't want to learn how to drive better, or what they can do to increase their fuel economy.

It's understandable really. Getting great gas mileage takes work, which frightens people away.

Overall though, it is very amusing to see people react in such an almost offended manner when the topic of fuel economy is brought up. I've yet to ascertain why it happens, but it does.

philmcneal 06-08-2006 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Unfortunately that's just the way it is. I enjoy talking to people about fuel economy, but I often realize that the most people care is to discuss how expensive gas is, or how crappy their fuel economy is.

For the most part people don't want to learn how to drive better, or what they can do to increase their fuel economy.

It's understandable really. Getting great gas mileage takes work, which frightens people away.

Overall though, it is very amusing to see people react in such an almost offended manner when the topic of fuel economy is brought up. I've yet to ascertain why it happens, but it does.

why you think I was trying so hard hoping at least one 7thgenner or so trying to understand what I'm actually trying to do. It seems that people take offend because the topic of the safety issues invovled with obtaining that high number. For example I was pointed for high tire pressure, running red lights/stopsigns, and engine kill. Also they were horrified on how I was messing up my car to the point it will not be drivable in a couple of years.

But you know... I dunno the remarks towards the FE boy was another thing I couldn't go through again so I just had to end it. To each and their own.

MetroMPG 06-09-2006 04:03 AM

I figured you'd appreciate that, Phil.

95metro 06-09-2006 06:02 AM

:eek: Holy, man! Talk about some bad karma on that site! :D Kind of funny how some of them suggested testing it, but didn't read the rest of your site (or the article for that matter) to see how you carry out your testing. Also funny how no one seemed to notice your stellar gas log...:rolleyes:

bowtieguy 12-17-2008 04:13 PM

yup, people thought it strange what i did to my car and how i drive until i told them i was spending $40 on gas fillups lasting 2 weeks(when gas was $4).

meanwhile some of them were spending $80 or $100 lasting a week or less!