Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Well it started as a WAI... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/well-it-started-as-a-wai-2362.html)

mtbiker278 06-23-2006 04:58 AM

Well it started as a WAI...

So I was looking at 8thgencivic forums and found a thread about how people were disconnecting their resonator chamber from their intake. Basically removing the tubing from the chamber to the air filter box. It seemed like a good idea since the radiator hose is appox. two inches from the air-box, plus the tranny is right bleow it so water and such is not likely to get up in there.

Needless to say I gave it a try. I was goin to test any FE improvements/ decreases by the half tank. But then my testing went somewhat wrong. I found that below around 2.5krpm the engine sounds pretty normal. 2500rpms is right around my cut off limit for forcing the auto to shift unless I'm going up a hill or something. Out of curiousity I decided to gun it, since I essentially created a short ram intake. Well above 3000rpms it sounds like somebody let the demon out of my car.

Long story short I've had a bit of a lead foot lately. Although I'm still managing 30mpg. I'll have to see how it does on the highway. I'm thinking that a scangauge might help with the discipline, however that sound is addicting. :cool:

GasSavers_DaX 06-23-2006 05:58 AM

The K-series does sound like a monster when it is unleashed.

SVOboy 06-23-2006 06:09 AM

He's got an r18 though, doesn't he?

I was working on my friend's 7th gen civic and we left the resonator off to test drive it, after first I thought we broke something, it was crazy, anyway, he's never put it back on (I have mine blocked cuz I can't get it out, :(

GasSavers_DaX 06-23-2006 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
He's got an r18 though, doesn't he?

Does it? *shuts up now* :o

mtbiker278 06-23-2006 06:45 AM

R18 is it. It still sounds like a bat out of hell though, at least compared to anything else I've driven before. Maybe the trooper when the exhaust was rusted out sounded meaner.

SVOboy 06-23-2006 06:46 AM

Oh yeah, I could hear my friend pulling out of his parking space after school from 150 yards away, it sounds beastly. I'm guessing they started making them really loud and muffling them so that people could get their "loud intake" jollies easily.

LincolnW 06-23-2006 06:49 AM

This reminds me of the first time I put an intake on my Civic way back in the day. I remember it sounded super throaty because all I had on the engine was an intake.

It most likely won't help your FE though, and it will only encourage you to drive more aggresively.

Of course, my car is super quiet below about 3500rpm or so, and if I smash on it, it will wake right up and scream all the way to 7500. I haven't done that in a while though.

Make sure to post up your findings. I would be willing to be that your FE goes down a bit.

mtbiker278 06-23-2006 07:33 AM

Well so far it's gone down a lot since I can't keep my foot off the gas. I can't say that I would even be able to detect any changes anyway cause i have to measure by the half take. My FE usually fluctuates +- 1-2mpg every time I fill up. Until I get a scangauge there's no telling what it does to the FE.

Compaq888 06-24-2006 09:52 PM

I remember when I put the Injen WAI on my altima. It took out 2 resonators and it made a straght pipe into the Throttle body. it souded mean like crazy and you could hear the car from a mile away. Anyway... Whenever I went into tunnels or under freeways and saw ricers I would have some fun with them and gun it a little. They would look all paranoid searching for a V8 or V10 car. The look on their face was priceless when I drove by. I remember one time when I was into saving fuel and I was on a 1 lane road doing the speed limit when an integra wanted to go around me. I gunned it a little and he got back in line real quick. The noise was scary, forget about adding stickers adding 50hp, this thing made the engine sound like it had 500hp.

SVOboy 06-24-2006 09:54 PM

How many v10s do you see on a daily basis!?