Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Kid Hauler (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/kid-hauler-2384.html)

GasSavers_DaX 06-27-2006 05:53 AM

Kid Hauler

Well, lets face it...I'm probably going to need a kid hauler within the next 5-7 years. I'm graduating in slightly more than a month, I'm getting married two weeks after that, and I'm moving into the brand new house I'm having built about 3 weeks after that. More likely than not...kids are in my near future.

I'm an avid planner...I like to think way ahead - I hate being surprised by things I could have predicted. I've been struggling with the thought of joining the "soccer mom" crowd by buying a minivan. I'm a strict Honda fundamentalist, so that leaves me with few choices. For a while I've been thinking of buying a CR-V. I still like the idea, but I really don't like SUV's, and it's borderline SUV in the looks department.

This month's Honda Tuning (long time subscriber) gave me new hope. I found out that the 95-97 Odessy's have the same motor as the accords (H/F series). Even cheaper than an Odessy is the Isuzu Oasis (Odessy clone) - I can scoop one up for about $4K. Could you imagine...taking the kids to school in the minivan with a swapped H23-VTEC? It would be even cooler to swap the 5-speed tranny. Haha.

Anyhow, I got a kick out of thinking about this and thought I would share.:D

GasSavers_civicminded 06-27-2006 06:42 AM

DaX, I'm a few years ahead of you. I've got 3 children now (4 and under), and it's a blast.

I had a CR-V (2003), and it was a great vehicle. But, it wasn't really large enough when number 3 came along. This is mostly due to car seats (which can't fit 3 across in most any vehicle that has 3 across seating). So, I ended up with a 2002 Odyssey. It's also a great vehicle, but the Gas mileage is only adequate. Sure it's decent among it's peers, but at 20, it's not that great. I have had my eye on the 1st gen Ody and it looks like a great platform. I just don't think I'll be able to talk the wife into it. :( So, in a similar vein of the 5 speed H23 swap into the first gen, I've been fantasizing about a 3.2 Type-S CL with 6-speed swap into the 2nd Gen Ody. :) It's just a passing thing I'm sure, but that would be really neat to have a manual Mini-van.

So keep in mind that the number of kids and their age proximity that will force decisions on seating.

Welcome to a whole new world!

GasSavers_DaX 06-27-2006 07:33 AM

Haha, thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping to only have two, and am unsure as to what age interval to shoot for.

SVOboy 06-27-2006 07:55 AM

Is there any hope for the father with the pimped 6sp RTAWD wagovan?

95metro 06-27-2006 08:01 AM

Hey, Dax. As civicminded says, welcome to a whole new world. When I got married I owned a '92 Ford Taurus and that served very well as a daily driver and for kids. Tons of room, very comfortable.

I moved on to a '92 Dodge Spirit when the Taurus' electronics died. Just a hair less space, but still plenty of room and comfort for 4.

When my wife and I had our third child we moved up to the '95 Aerostar. Tons of room and power and a complete gas hog. I don't recommend any minivan just for that reason - unless you find an old Dodge 4-banger with a 5-speed. However, with 3 kids a 6+ seater van is a necessity on long trips.

With 2 kids, IMO, you can get away with a sedan. If you're a Honda man then an Accord may last you a really long time.

But, like I said that's just my opinion...and make certain you keep a beater to tool around with. Women don't like it when you experiment on the family grocery getter. :D :(

SVOboy 06-27-2006 08:03 AM

I always thought the parent at my school with the Peugot was the coolest dude in the world, but that's just me, :)

GasSavers_DaX 06-27-2006 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95metro
Hey, Dax. As civicminded says, welcome to a whole new world. When I got married I owned a '92 Ford Taurus and that served very well as a daily driver and for kids. Tons of room, very comfortable.

I moved on to a '92 Dodge Spirit when the Taurus' electronics died. Just a hair less space, but still plenty of room and comfort for 4.

When my wife and I had our third child we moved up to the '95 Aerostar. Tons of room and power and a complete gas hog. I don't recommend any minivan just for that reason - unless you find an old Dodge 4-banger with a 5-speed. However, with 3 kids a 6+ seater van is a necessity on long trips.

With 2 kids, IMO, you can get away with a sedan. If you're a Honda man then an Accord may last you a really long time.

But, like I said that's just my opinion...and make certain you keep a beater to tool around with. Women don't like it when you experiment on the family grocery getter. :D :(

Yeah, our current car lineup is:

1988 Civic Hatchback
1990 Civic Sedan
1997 Accord Sedan

The Accord (which Tammara drives) is great - we'll at least keep it through our first kid.

GasSavers_civicminded 06-27-2006 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Is there any hope for the father with the pimped 6sp RTAWD wagovan?

I sure hope so! Lowered, 17's with some nice sticky rubber, - and the RL drivetrain. Yummm......

OK, it really is hopeless....:D

I second the Accord notion - I have a stock one that has 256k miles. It has been a great vehicle, and would work well for a family of 4.

My $.02

krousdb 06-27-2006 08:22 AM

We bought a 99 Odyssey just before having our first child. 11 months later (after the first child) we had our second. I found that the Odyssey was actually too large for us. We traded it in for the Prius which is a perfect fit. For three kids, yes a minivan is the way to go.

GasSavers_DaX 06-27-2006 08:28 AM

Ok, unless we are cursed (blessed?) with twins the second go round, we won't be having three children. :)