Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Does this sound like a dead battery? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/does-this-sound-like-a-dead-battery-2435.html)

SVOboy 07-03-2006 04:55 PM

Does this sound like a dead battery?

You've prolly seen the end of my project thread, but here's the basic problem as I've become able to see it. Anyway, started up it was obviously almost dead, got going and the light faded on, gained up some rpms, faded off, and so on and so forth, but every time I went low on rpms it would come on just a little bit, I guess because it wasn't charging so well. So dead battery, yeah? I need to go find a battery for my DMM now, but what should I be looking for in terms of readings?

Bunger 07-03-2006 05:11 PM

With the car running, assuming your alternator is good, you should see around 13.8-15.5 volts. Assuming your battery is good, it should have about 12.5 volts with no load, and shouldn't drop below about 9 volts when cranking.

SVOboy 07-03-2006 05:12 PM

So check it, start the car, and then check againand it should be 12 and then13-14.7ish?

Bunger 07-03-2006 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
So check it, start the car, and then check againand it should be 12 and then13-14.7ish?

Check the battery voltage with no load, make sure its about 12.5V

Start the car, and while its cranking, make sure it doesn't drop below 9.6V

With the car running, bring the RPMs up to 2K and check the voltage, it should be between 13.8 - 15.5V

Also, try turning on your headlights, heater fan (on high) and anything else you can think of, with the car running, it shouldn't drop below 13.3V

Report back. =)

Bunger 07-03-2006 05:21 PM

Also, if you haven't done this already, make sure the fluid in your battery is topped off (unless you have a sealed unit) (only add distilled or highly filtered water)

SVOboy 07-03-2006 05:35 PM

PS: will an obd1 alternator fit my block?

Matt Timion 07-03-2006 05:42 PM

Quote:

PS: will an obd1 alternator fit my block?

It should. I have a obd0 alternator on my obd1 block.

SVOboy 07-03-2006 05:42 PM

I guess the problem will get fixed somehow.

SVOboy 07-03-2006 05:45 PM

Oh yeah, how should I check the fluid level in the battery?

GasSavers_Ryland 07-03-2006 09:16 PM

fluid leavle is checked by poping the caps off the battery, their should be some sort of little leavle notchs down in there thatyou fill till they are covered, if you don't see them then just fill it till the battery has 1/2 of water/acid past the top of the plates, your repair book tells you how to do this as well.

at idle your battery should be charging, 13.5 volts is pretty standard I think.

SVOboy 07-04-2006 03:50 PM

Voltages:

Car off: 12.2 V
Cranking: 5 V (wouldn't start, had to bump it)
Just started up no accessories on: 13.6 V
Took it for a drive and came back, at idle with stereo blasting, air on, and lights on: 10 V
Same but no accessories on: 12.6 V

Bunger 07-04-2006 04:03 PM

Quote:

Cranking: 5 V (wouldn't start, had to bump it)
Took it for a drive and came back, at idle with stereo blasting, air on, and lights on: 10 V

Those 2 bits, don't look good. How old is the battery?

SVOboy 07-04-2006 04:15 PM

Not sure, came with the previous owner. It's the battery, innit? Not terrible, I'll just go get a lightweight lawnmower battery like jared has, :p

GasSavers_katman 07-04-2006 04:49 PM

Most auto parts stores will check your alternator and battery for free. It could be both are bad. Also, either one can take out the other. I would charge the battery up over night so that it has a good charge and take it to some place that can check it for you. The battery needs to have a full charge to test it correctly.

SVOboy 07-04-2006 05:01 PM

Hmm, I need a battery charger, :p

Anyway, we'll see.

JanGeo 07-05-2006 05:16 AM

It is either not any good or not charging - if you rev the engine with all the accessories on and the voltage drops to 10 volts then your alternator is shot or not putting out enough. Higher voltage should be on the battery terminals when the engine is running. Pull the caps off and check for bubbling and don't get the sulfuric acid spray from the bubbles popping in your eyes or on your cloths. If you find one or two cells showing dry plates then you should be getting a new battery. The dry cells were the probably the good ones and got over charged and the ones that are full may be shorted. Take the old one with you when you go for the new one to save a core charge and another trip to the store. Running the car on the battery with the engine off trying to save gas killed the last bunch of charge discharge cycle of it.

SVOboy 07-29-2006 02:49 PM

Twas the alternator dying, battery is fine, life is reasonable.