Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Got stopped by the police ... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/got-stopped-by-the-police-2621.html)

MetroMPG 08-03-2006 06:59 PM

Got stopped by the police ...

...for blasting through a stop sign on my 10-speed beater bike. :)

It's a habit of mine to have a quick, thorough look around me in all directions (including behind) before doing that, both to look for regular cars, AND police cars, but it was dark and the headlights obscured the fact it was the law.

No ticket or anything. Just a very informal scolding.

(Oh, and before you go thinking I'm a reckless fool, the intersection I blasted through was a "T" intersection, and I was on the top of the T going straight, with a clear view of any traffic I would have affected - none.)

rh77 08-03-2006 07:16 PM

Last week...

Caution: Void where prohibited by law

When I get lost when I travel and have to make a U-turn, I don't do it normally. Basically, I drop it into "1", turn off the Traction Control (if equipped), build up some speed, yank the wheel to the left while ripping up on the e-brake. Then gun it and control the front end while the back end slides around. With practice it works like a charm, except...

Last week in Little rock, a local Smokey was parked at a nearby gas station. No lights, just the "get over here" wave. Then the "You're not from around here are ya?" routine. I explained that I was lost and I made a "quick U-turn" to get back on track. Thankfully I was let go and he was nice enough to give me really good directions to where I was going.

RH77 "Stunt Driver"

SVOboy 08-03-2006 08:29 PM

I wish I knew how to do that, :(, I do impress my friends with my ability to hold a corner but that's nothing compared to "Rick's Quicky."

Compaq888 08-03-2006 09:11 PM

I don't know about you guys but I keep getting weird looks from other drivers. I don't even floor it and my tires spin and squeal like crazy. I think it's the mentality that hondas don't have torque.

SVOboy 08-03-2006 09:14 PM

I can rev mine to redline and barely spin my wheels when I dump the clutch. I'd look at you like you had a bumper sticker that said "ram me."

The Toecutter 08-03-2006 10:03 PM

How Odd No Damn Acceleration

:p

JanGeo 08-04-2006 01:31 AM

yeah around here they add a stop sign to slow people down at intersections usually because bushes grow there too close to the road or people speed in a 25 zone. So we end up wasting everybodies gas instead

rh77 08-04-2006 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
I wish I knew how to do that, :(, I do impress my friends with my ability to hold a corner but that's nothing compared to "Rick's Quicky."

I used to take my '99 Si to a parking lot with a small number of light poles and just practice. It was the same lot we would use to autocross, so it had plenty of wide open spaces. The hardest thing to master was the "reverse J-turn" -- backing up in a straight line and sliding around to go forward without losing momentum (tricky with a 5-speed). You really get to know your car, like practicing emergency lane changes, skids and slide recovery, that sort of thing. Basically Autocross and the wisdom of the pros at those events really helped me understand what I was doing right/wrong.

RH77

SVOboy 08-04-2006 06:46 AM

Hmm, very interesting. Mehbe one day. I really have no where to practice though. :(

thisisntjared 08-04-2006 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Hmm, very interesting. Mehbe one day. I really have no where to practice though. :(

LIAR!!! sjr-scca! theres an auto-x this sunday in camden, then two weeks after that another auto-x in atco. nobody uses the ebrake though, and the ebrake type of driving i reserve for those mildly snowy days when there are NO cars around. thats kinda rare in jersey.

anyway:

https://autox4u.com/sjersy.htm has a schedule

my fiance hates it when i dont brake for on and off ramps.(hella 3rd gear, baby) she wants me to drive like im 70 years old.