Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Anyone know carbs? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/anyone-know-carbs-2622.html)

omgwtfbyobbq 08-03-2006 08:28 PM

Anyone know carbs?

My truck has some weird problems which I think are related in some way to the carb.
-When starting cold, I have to hit the gas pedal a couple times or it won't start right away.
-When it's warm, it takes a couple seconds to start up, then it kinda burbles up to idle.
-If I've been driving for a bit, and then idle for over a couple minutes, the engine will stumble, like it's getting too much fuel. Almost stall, and then recover. It only does this once per trip, if I let it idle, and the trip distance doesn't matter. It's happened on 20 minute trips, and two hour trips.
It's a stock 22R carb with the oxygen sensor.

Matt Timion 08-03-2006 10:47 PM

sounds like the carb might be the culprit. I would look into getting some carb cleaner and cleaning that puppy out. You shoudl be able to dismantle your entire carb without a problem and clean it. I'll be doing this on my n600 very soon.

GasSavers_Ryland 08-04-2006 06:01 PM

you normaly have to pump the gas once or twice with a carburator, first to set the automatic choke, and 2nd to activate the accelorator pump to squirt the first bit of gasoline in to the engine, to get it going.
try running a tank of premuim gas thru it, with some fuel system cleaner in the gas, and spraying the carb, and intake with carb cleaner to get any gunk out of there, and you should be all set.

JanGeo 08-04-2006 06:38 PM

check the choke butterfly and linkage make sure it moves freely all the way open and closed - clean clean clean!

ZugyNA 08-05-2006 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
-When starting cold, I have to hit the gas pedal a couple times or it won't start right away.
-When it's warm, it takes a couple seconds to start up, then it kinda burbles up to idle.
-If I've been driving for a bit, and then idle for over a couple minutes, the engine will stumble, like it's getting too much fuel. Almost stall, and then recover. It only does this once per trip, if I let it idle, and the trip distance doesn't matter. It's happened on 20 minute trips, and two hour trips.
It's a stock 22R carb with the oxygen sensor.

* yes...set the choke and pump some gas...usually pump a couple of times and then let off. Where with EFI you usually don't touch the gas.

* who knows

* these carbs are the Toyota ones with a whole bunch of vac lines? All I can say is good luck...and maybe try to adjust some the the idle/idle up settings as per the manual. Snug down any carb screws you see. Snug down the carb base and the manifold bolts. Check all the vac lines....sounds like maybe the float level might be too high?

diamondlarry 08-05-2006 05:35 AM

Quote:

When starting cold, I have to hit the gas pedal a couple times or it won't start right away.
My '78 Ford F-250 is this way. When cold you hit the pedal all the way down and let off once. This squirts a bit of fuel and sets the auto choke. The reason it acts a little flaky when it's warm is because the fuel in the carb gets warm and it takes a little bit of running to regain it's equilibrium. Since I hardly ever drive this truck(9-11 mpg:eek: ) I usually forget these thing at first.