Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   New member from Reno, NV (2007 Toyota Yaris) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/new-member-from-reno-nv-2007-toyota-yaris-2699.html)

AlexK 08-15-2006 10:17 PM

New member from Reno, NV (2007 Toyota Yaris)

Hello everyone.
I saw a link to this site on a Toyota Yaris forum. I was browsing and saw a reference to the Scangauge. Upon learning what it does, I immediately ordered one! It should be here in a few days, I can't wait to start using it.

I just bought a 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan with 5 speed manual trans. I also just sold a 1994 Geo Metro. I was getting 45 to 53 mpg out of the Geo. So far the Yaris has yielded from 41.0 to 41.9 mpg (3 fillups so far). I'm hoping to better that with the Scangauge.

I usually ride my electric bike to work but since I drop my dog off at a friends house every day, I still end up driving about 15 miles per day. the Yaris isn't as efficient as the Geo was but it's night and day in terms of smoothness, noise, comfort. Also I'm single so the chick-repulsion factor of the Geo had to be considered.

https://www.akuniverse.com/yaris1.jpg

https://www.akuniverse.com/ebikepic1.jpg

Matt Timion 08-15-2006 10:32 PM

Welcome to the site. The Yaris looks hella sexy, I must admit :)

That bike isn't too bad either :)

Where did you get the kit to make the electric bike? How far can you ride on it before it dies?

philmcneal 08-15-2006 11:06 PM

anything about the car you dislike?

welcome and it looks like you have much potenial to get 500 miles tank with that baby.

SVOboy 08-16-2006 08:07 AM

Man, who can't get 500 mile tanks?

Anyway, glad your here! I like the color on the yaris, looks pretty fly, I must say.

How far away is the scangauge for you?

ketel0ne 08-16-2006 08:59 AM

Welcome. nice Yaris.

AlexK 08-16-2006 11:08 PM

I got my electric bike kit a year ago at www.wildernessenergy.com (I got the brushless kit, now discontinued). It has been so great! It has about 1700 miles on it so far. I love riding it and the best part is it's silent and very stealthy. I blow by lycra-clad road bikers and they can't believe what's happening. It's funny to see them stand up on the pedals and try to keep up, meanwhile I'm barely pedaling and enjoying the scenery. It cruises at 20mph (with very light pedaling, maybe 17-19mph with no pedaling). Range is about 10-20 miles, depending on how much pedaling I do.

There are a few things I don't like about the Yaris. The main thing is the throttle-by-wire. There is a slight delay for throttle input, so when I shift gears the engine revs up slightly, and then slowly comes back down. It's annoying. I almost bought the auto version for that reason, but I'm getting used to it so it's not so bad. The Nissan Versa I test drove did the same thing. Also the Yaris is low geared. At 3000 RPMs in 5th gear I'm going 66 mph. My toyota truck is geared like that in 4th gear. It can't be good for fuel economy but so far it's doing pretty good.

Other than those two things I love it. It feels like a bigger, more expensive car than it is. I read somewhere the Cd is 0.29, pretty good but it's tall so it could still be draggy.

My Scangauge came in the mail today. I immediately took it for a test drive... it's incredible! I'm sure my mpg will be increasing in both the Yaris and the Tacoma.

SVOboy 08-17-2006 08:31 AM

Nice! Can't wait to see you posting some in the daily FE thread. Now that you have the scangauge you can have lots of fun picking out your route and all that good stuff, :)

MetroMPG 08-17-2006 08:34 AM

You're going to love that SG2. It's the equivalent of crack for the efficiency-minded.

MorningGaser 03-31-2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexK (Post 23099)
There are a few things I don't like about the Yaris. The main thing is the throttle-by-wire. There is a slight delay for throttle input, so when I shift gears the engine revs up slightly, and then slowly comes back down. It's annoying.

The problem is not the throttle-by-wire....it is the programming Toyota put into their computer chip that causes the lag....for some reason they did this....they could easily have made the response immediate, but didn't.

JanGeo 03-31-2007 04:37 PM

Yeah the Scion xB has the same thing and it is throttle by cable you just back off the gas first all the way then push the clutch in. Only problem I see is when it is just warming up in the 80 degree range engine temp when I back off the gas it feels like I hit the brakes for the first tenth of a mile or so. You did the car jump I wanted to do but my 94 Geo broke a leg a half year before the Yaris came out so I got the xB and get almost the same mileage you are getting. Keep working at it and it will get better . . . 55psi wow watch the side walls I saw a ripple in mine today and I am running 38-40 psi.