Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Prospective College FE Project (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/prospective-college-fe-project-2715.html)

SVOboy 08-17-2006 02:31 PM

Prospective College FE Project

Well, thinking about what I should work on, and I'll give you lots of options and I want to hear your picks and why, based on the vending machine method.

Cars:

A - Honda 1st Gen CRX
B - [Another] Honda 2nd Gen CRX
C - Honda EF Hatchcrap
D - Honda EG Hatchcrap
E - Some other pug fugly EG
F - Metro Hatch of the newer body style (I'm not sure of the years)
G - VW Rabbit
H - VW Scirocco
I - VW Corrado
J - Something Old (triumph gt6, n600, mg midgit)
K - Make suggestion

Now, a few notes. I've found someone near dartmouth selling a 94 metro in non-running condition for 200 bucks. I said screw it to my b8 swap and if I'm careful I could easily pay the full 200 (though I won't since it's been sitting for years unsold, I'll offer 50, :p). I won't be spending more than 500 on any shell, and I don't care how badly it's beaten as long as it's not missing things I'll need later and wouldn't have replaced (lights and such). I've also found a 95 civic (haven't gotten reply yet) for sale for 550, so that's in consideration also, not to mention a lot of beat hatchcraps I could prolly get for 400-500.

Projects:

1 - Build using FE stock components
2 - Stick a d15z1 in it (regardless of the base I begin with)
3 - Stick a Tdi engine in it
4 - EV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5 - Hybrid (EV with a generator)
6 - Something sick (RWD B18T metro, :p)
7 - Make suggestion

I'm leaning toward the metro right now, cuz it's cheap and stock is promising for FE, but I'm open to suggestions as I wanna try to do something that'll add to the site. Whatever it is it'll prolly take > 1-2 years to finish, so consider that, unless it's stock resto, but even then I still want to do a full teardown.

Matt Timion 08-17-2006 03:28 PM

Questions first.

Will you have room to do this?

Why not just take your car up to college and throw a d15z1 in it?

SVOboy 08-17-2006 03:34 PM

No, I won't, but I'll figure something out.

Because I'm not allowed to, I'm not planning on discussing this with my family.

krousdb 08-17-2006 03:54 PM

I prefer the hatchcraps. Where you gonna get the cash?

SVOboy 08-17-2006 03:57 PM

Why do you think it'll take so long, :p

I'll have a job or something, you know how it is. Think of all the money I could make selling drugs, the possibilities are endless.

krousdb 08-17-2006 04:08 PM

As long as the drugs are vegan, right?

I don't think that vegan drugs are any good. Prolly no better than hooka, whatever that is.:P

SVOboy 08-17-2006 04:10 PM

Hell, I don't know about any of that crap, thank goodness. Man, I need to do my vegan homework before I can go official. Thank goodness all my clothing is, but damn shampoo I need to research, :p

rh77 08-17-2006 08:20 PM

Choice-K or the L-Option

As you know from my discussions, research that benefits the most of the public and that can have the greatest impact is on the highest order. Of your choices, I recommend that you look-up the highest number sold for your choices, or expand into others with high numbers. Being able to have the avg. Joe buy a used one (or similar one) to replicate the experiment and/or use the experimentology on a daily basis is paramount.

RH77

SVOboy 08-17-2006 08:28 PM

Thoughtful as always, Rick!

The Toecutter 08-17-2006 08:51 PM

I don't know exactly what goal you wish to accomplish.

What are you looking to do in regards to:
a) Price
b) Redundancy(eg. can it be repeated easily by others?)
c) Performance
d) Efficiency
e) Simplicity