Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Weight reduction: not filling the gas tank (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/weight-reduction-not-filling-the-gas-tank-2755.html)

krousdb 08-23-2006 03:21 AM

Weight reduction: not filling the gas tank

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG

As Dan knows, you can gain an equivalent weight advantage by just not filling your tank above half way.

Yup, about 6 lbs per gallon IIRC. When not calibrating the SuperMID, I only have 6 gallons max in my 11ish gal tank. That is about 30 pounds savings. I also have my windshield washer solvent at 1/2 tank max.:D

MetroMPG 08-23-2006 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
Yup, about 6 lbs per gallon IIRC. When not calibrating the SuperMID, I only have 6 gallons max in my 11ish gal tank. That is about 30 pounds savings. I also have my windshield washer solvent at 1/2 tank max.:D

I love it. Are you running half-tanks now, or are you still calibrating the MID with the VX?

I think 6lbs/gal is what I turned up most in a recent search I did as well. Which actually makes fuel the single heaviest easily "removable" item on my car. 10.5 gal tank = 63 lbs. Spare & jack = 24. Passenger seat = 29.

argylesocks 08-23-2006 05:13 AM

Quote:

I love it. Are you running half-tanks now, or are you still calibrating the MID with the VX?

I think 6lbs/gal is what I turned up most in a recent search I did as well. Which actually makes fuel the single heaviest easily "removable" item on my car. 10.5 gal tank = 63 lbs. Spare & jack = 24. Passenger seat = 29.

how much difference does 30lbs really make??

for what its worth, i skipped breakfast this morning. figure it was worth a couple of pounds.
:)

MetroMPG 08-23-2006 06:28 AM

Quote:

25 lbs may represent a fuel economy difference of about 0.25% - 0.5% based on the oft quoted figure of a 1-2% fuel economy penalty for every extra 100 lbs carried (EPA).
The difference is likely too small to measure reliably with FE instrumentation in a test scenario. But it's real, and every little bit helps.

However, this kind of discussion is probably an example of how we apparently cultivate the impression we're Screwballs.

krousdb 08-23-2006 08:58 AM

Quote:

I love it. Are you running half-tanks now, or are you still calibrating the MID with the VX?.

I'm calibrated and running half tanks now. Can't say it it makes a difference. Can't hurt though.:p

SVOboy 08-23-2006 09:09 AM

Is dan back from retirement? Retirement meaning the beach.

GasSavers_Jack 08-23-2006 11:10 AM

I make up for full filling my by just running it 50 miles after the fuel light comes on!

MetroMPG 08-23-2006 11:13 AM

Modern cars are supposed to have closed systems. No fuel should evaporate to the outside, so you don't "lose" anything. Fumes are combusted via the evaporative emissions controls.

kickflipjr 08-23-2006 11:17 AM

I just go from F to E. I fill it up till it clicks (so I can track my mpg) and then ride till E (aprox. 9-10gal). If I do half fills it throws off the whole one click fill up thing.

SVOboy 08-23-2006 11:17 AM

The only thing I've heard about too little gas is from lubedev/smartgas. He claims that all the water in that air will collect in gas and ruin your mileage! Logical, no?