Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News, Articles and Products (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Ethanol-gas mix is a problem for Franklin (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/ethanol-gas-mix-is-a-problem-for-franklin-2773.html)

ketel0ne 08-25-2006 11:28 AM

Ethanol-gas mix is a problem for Franklin

https://www.unionleader.com/article.a...7-c0205ad76ea8

Quote:

Franklin ? Three city-owned vehicles experienced problems with E10 gasoline, a mixture of 10 percent ethanol and 90 percent gasoline, since the mandatory changeover to the new fuel earlier this year, said Franklin Fire Chief Scott Clarenbach.

He said that since the first delivery of the new fuel to the city's 10,000-gallon storage tank in May, two police cruisers and one municipal services department vehicle have had to have their gas tanks removed and drained.

"We thought at first that it was water because ethanol attracts water molecules, and if you get enough water in the ethanol, it will sink to the bottom of the gas tank,'' said Clarenbach.

That can happen only if the gas cap isn't tight, he said, because modern fuel systems are closed loops which shut off access to outside air.

But it turned out the problem was that ethanol, which is a solvent, is dissolving the shellac which lines the city's storage tank, creating a sediment problem which was causing plugged fuel injectors.

SVOboy 08-25-2006 11:32 AM

Interesting, why is the tank lined with such a substance that couldn't take the e10?

Matt Timion 08-25-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Interesting, why is the tank lined with such a substance that couldn't take the e10?

probably b/c the tank is older than the concept of E10.

SVOboy 08-25-2006 11:35 AM

True, but none of the gas stations around me that've been around for decades dug up their tanks when the switched to e10.

Matt Timion 08-25-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

True, but none of the gas stations around me that've been around for decades dug up their tanks when the switched to e10.

Maybe they were smart and put a filter on it?

SVOboy 08-25-2006 11:52 AM

Smarter than me, :p

ZugyNA 08-26-2006 04:43 AM

Maybe ole LaPointe isn't so goofy afterall?

You'll see less mileage?

The gasahol thing is mostly a profit maker for ADM (and others making ethanol?) and a subsidy for the farmers?

Though I'd like to make some friends at one of those places making the corn squeezins.....

No real gain in energy balance (costs about as much energy to make ethanol as it provides?)...more polluted ground water....higher food costs...higher vehicle maintenance costs?

Mostly bullcrap for profits and to fool the public into thinking something is being done about energy issues?

95% of what you see is bullpucky for profits and bullpucky to convince you otherwise....welcome to the world of illusions....the hall of mirrors....the funhouse....warp city.....

white90crxhf 08-26-2006 04:47 AM

Quote:

i remember when some gas stations in virginia closed because they had 10 years to change their tank and didnt do it...i imagine the government would be excluded from changing their tank, just like they're exempt from real accounting practices! :)

SVOboy 08-26-2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZugyNA
Maybe ole LaPointe isn't so goofy afterall?

You'll see less mileage?

The gasahol thing is mostly a profit maker for ADM (and others making ethanol?) and a subsidy for the farmers?

Though I'd like to make some friends at one of those places making the corn squeezins.....

No real gain in energy balance (costs about as much energy to make ethanol as it provides?)...more polluted ground water....higher food costs...higher vehicle maintenance costs?

Mostly bullcrap for profits and to fool the public into thinking something is being done about energy issues?

95% of what you see is bullpucky for profits and bullpucky to convince you otherwise....welcome to the world of illusions....the hall of mirrors....the funhouse....warp city.....

I fail to see how this is proof of a government conspiracy to screw anyone but themselves, unless you think they did it just to throw people off the scent of who the real victims are.

In either case, there was a reasonable cause cited for this, an old, dirty tank. LaPointe says his car broke down with it's brand new gas tank, so unless it came from the manufacter like that I don't see the issue.