Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Quiet Starters? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/quiet-starters-2809.html)

parasonic 08-30-2006 04:19 PM

Quiet Starters?

Living in a city with plenty of traffic, I do a lot of sitting in traffic. A lot of times, I turn off my engine and wait there. It's kind of disconcerting how dramatic it is to restart the motor every time that I sit there for a minute. Are there any quiet starter motors made for standard ICE engines? I remember that a lot of hybrids have very quiet starters...but I drive a Civic with a D16Y8.

Ideas? Thanks...!

tomauto 08-30-2006 06:57 PM

well

Bump start if you are able (if you have a manual and are still moving)

There isn't anything we know of that can get the engine started....Unless, you hopped out and started pushing (or you had a passenger along...tell them to push) And do a quick bump.

Other than that, there isn't much you can do, or even buy.

JanGeo 08-30-2006 07:30 PM

yeah eCycle makes a ISA - integrated starter alternator - that basically is a 3 phase brushless motor that can start the engine and generater power to run the 12 or 42 volt electrics with more efficiency that the typical alternator.

SVOboy 08-30-2006 07:45 PM

Hey parasonic! I have no idea about your question, but please introduce yourself in the intro section and tell us a little bit about you, your car, and your commute, :)

parasonic 08-30-2006 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Hey parasonic! I have no idea about your question, but please introduce yourself in the intro section and tell us a little bit about you, your car, and your commute, :)

Very well. I will do so for such people who haven't seen me around in the other forums, namely the Hawndah ones...

MetroMPG 08-31-2006 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasonic
It's kind of disconcerting how dramatic it is to restart the motor

I wonder how much of the "drama" might be just a question of perception, rather than actual noise.

If you're at all embarassed at being a fuel-saver in a culture that is more likely to celebrate the wasting of resources than conserving them, starting the car in close quarters with other drivers when nobody else is doing it puts up a red flag and identifies yourself as an unconventional person.

The actual loudness of the starter itself may not be much of an issue.

I make this point based on my own observations & having had similar reactions. After a while, I bet it will just become less of a concern as you get used to it.

Another solution for reducing the drama of your starter: I suggest adding wheel skirts to your car. :)

kickflipjr 08-31-2006 05:17 AM

Quote:

I suggest adding wheel skirts to your car.
I would suggest that they be made of duct tape and cardboard.

The noise of the starter is not a big worry for me. I think gettng rear ended is my biggest fear.

zpiloto 08-31-2006 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG

Another solution for reducing the drama of your starter: I suggest adding wheel skirts to your car. :)

Don't forget removing mirrors, hubcaps,VG's and a GS BUMPER STICKER.:p

MetroMPG 08-31-2006 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr
I think gettng rear ended is my biggest fear.

It's a more logical one anyway. And a healthy one to boot.

thisisntjared 08-31-2006 07:00 AM

if you let your fuel pump prime before actually starting the car the car starts much faster. to do this you turn the key to the on position until the check engine light turns off. when the light turns off then your car has reached the right fuel pressure and is ready to start.