Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Prius. First Impressions (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/prius-first-impressions-2828.html)

zpiloto 09-03-2006 05:18 AM

Prius. First Impressions

I went to pick up the Prius in Henderson TX Saturday. It was a fun FE weekend. I left Friday night with my wife in Casper for the 230 mile drive. This is the first real highway driving I done in the Mazda. The trip up was 36.8 running the AC. We pick up the Prius Saturday morning. I drove the first leg 120 miles with an FE of 60.0 MPG. We swapped cars and my wife drove the rest of the way home bringing her leg in at 48.8 MPG. My return with the Mazda was 39.5 MPG. Later that night we drove to the HS football game and got a chance to drive city mileage, Round trip 24 miles at 63.4 MPG.

The car is fun to drive with plenty of instrumentation to keep you busy. The visibility rearward takes a little to get used to because of the sloping roofline. The learning curve is steep and it will take awhile to get the techniques required to bust the big segment but I know the cars capable of it it?s just a matter of me getting it down. I was kinda of surprise that the underbelly is not very smooth. It has a little bit of pan in the front but the rear cries out for one. All and all I feel that I will be able to maybe catch up with METRO.:D

MetroMPG 09-03-2006 05:48 AM

You lucky dog - sounds like a very entertaining car to drive.

If they haven't already, Toyota should do a "trip A/B/C etc" gauge feature so you could keep a history of your own FE separate from other drivers in the household on a given tank.

schmeep 09-03-2006 08:12 AM

the prius is only offered in automatic, correct? is there any hybrid that is available with manual trans?

SVOboy 09-03-2006 08:14 AM

Looks like I'm about to lose my spot on the top 10!

Congratulations, Sir.

JanGeo 09-03-2006 08:15 AM

HA HA HA HA there is no such thing as a manual hybrid!!

You have to make one with an eCycle CMG replacing the alternator.

Impressive you got 60 on the initial drive!! Gotta learn some of the tricks to teach my friend who got a 2005 used last month - she is only getting 51mpg.

SVOboy 09-03-2006 08:18 AM

Insight came stick, ;)

JanGeo 09-03-2006 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Insight came stick, ;)

OOH forgot about that one! Yeah the motor was snuck in there as I recall.

Anyway the point I was making is you can sort of make a hybrid out of any car if you have room for an eCycle CMG where the alternator resides - ends up being about 6-10kw motor or 400 amp alternator. Dan figured that one would fit in my xB when he popped his head under my hood on my visit last week. I didn't get a chance to talk to him about the controller to make it all work however but we are talking about $2000 plus batteries.

SVOboy 09-03-2006 08:26 AM

I've heard you allude to this idea a lot, perhaps it's deserving of it's own post with a little greater explanation, :)

diamondlarry 09-03-2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Insight came stick, ;)

The problem is, Honda is killing the Insight when the 2006 production year ends.:(

SVOboy 09-03-2006 08:38 AM

I thought they already killed it? Iono. When you sell 12 a month or whatev, can't blame ya for giving up, :p