Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   E10 and the coming of winter blended gas (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/e10-and-the-coming-of-winter-blended-gas-2964.html)

ketel0ne 09-18-2006 06:48 AM

E10 and the coming of winter blended gas

So in areas that in the last 6 months have gone to e10, will the winter blend be even worse?

https://www.ksgrains.com/corn/E103.gif I am not a fan of this sticker.

rh77 09-18-2006 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ketel0ne
So in areas that in the last 6 months have gone to e10, will the winter blend be even worse?

If I'm not mistaken, this IS the new winter blend, now that MTBE is gone -- so probably no change in MPG/performance.

RH77

GasSavers_DaX 09-18-2006 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
If I'm not mistaken, this IS the new winter blend, now that MTBE is gone -- so probably no change in MPG/performance.

RH77

This was also my understanding.

ketel0ne 09-18-2006 09:29 AM

Good to know, guess we get to wait and see.

rh77 09-18-2006 09:44 AM

Cold Factors

Quote:

Originally Posted by ketel0ne
Good to know, guess we get to wait and see.

Of course, there are other cold factors to consider (with solutions).

Problem: Cold Starts lead to longer Open Loop conditions
Solution: Engine Block Heater

Problem: Vehicle oils become thicker as the temperture drops
Solution: Transmission fluid is often run through the radiator, so an EBH would heat up the rad. For the engine oil, the EBH is a bit more indirect, but seems to keep things warmer than nothing at all.

Problem: Some cars like hot intake air to lean-out the mix for better FE
Solution: HAI, and modified aerodyamic additions to keep the cold out of the engine bay or hot air source. Common treatments - grille block, sealing the hood, and/or a diverter/undertray.

Problem: Tire pressure drops with temperature
Solution: Check it more often.

Problem: Adverse road conditions: Snow/Ice/Rain
Solution: Time. I got nothing for this one, really. The extra friction to push away the precip. reduces FE. Decent tires could help.

Am I forgetting anything?

RH77

ketel0ne 09-18-2006 09:47 AM

Are there additives that would offset the e10? I am not a big fan of them on top of regular unleaded but if it was to get back a loss, it may not be so bad.

SVOboy 09-18-2006 09:50 AM

Oh, the harshness of winter driving.

JanGeo 09-18-2006 10:23 AM

We had a couple of cool days and nights here and I already see the cold temp indicator staying on TOO LONG - gonna wrap more of my exhost with aluminum foil to get the cat warmer - maybe I should think about enclosing the engine in insulation too!

Hey maybe they will figure out that the E10 doesn't work well in cold climates and get rid of it for the winter . . . wouldn't that be cool!

diamondlarry 09-18-2006 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo

Hey maybe they will figure out that the E10 doesn't work well in cold climates and get rid of it for the winter . . . wouldn't that be cool!

Not a chance since ethanol is the magic bullet that will save us from our addiction to foreign oil.:rolleyes:

rh77 09-18-2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
Not a chance since ethanol is the magic bullet that will save us from our addiction to foreign oil.:rolleyes:

Precisely DL.

As far as additives go, I don't think there's anything that would convert the ethanol into a more efficiently-combusting material (I should say antyhing inexpensive). Aside from buying it in bulk, separating it somehow through refining, distilling or every else I forgot from Organic Chemistry, then I'm at a loss.

Since MTBE is a cancer-causing agent, I would definitely give up some conveniences to not use it. The whole ethanol debate could go on for decades -- I prefer Bio-Diesel, but limited access to it currently in the area, and no Diesel engine :rolleyes: kinda rules that out - for now ;)

RH77