Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   A blatant plea for help (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/a-blatant-plea-for-help-2968.html)

Matt Timion 09-18-2006 07:36 PM

A blatant plea for help

Right now we have near 150 active members on this site. Not all of you post, and not all of you visit every day. One thing is certain though, you care enough to keep coming back and you cared enough to register an account in the first place.

One thing that we desperately need are links to gassavers from other sites.

If you have a website, please put a link gassavers somewhere on your homepage(if possible). If you have a myspace account, please do the same. If you blog, mention gassavers (with a link). If you post to other forums, throw a link back to gassavers in your signature.

Every link helps people find GasSavers.

Thanks everyone for being a great group of people with great ideas.

tomauto 09-18-2006 07:54 PM

I put a note on my facebook, and a bulletin on myspace. I'll link my profiles too...

SVOboy 09-18-2006 08:27 PM

There's a GS link on every page of my site as well as giving it mad props with links in the text, it's funny because most of my search hits come from something like "gassavers.org grill block," :)

Matt Timion 09-18-2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
There's a GS link on every page of my site as well as giving it mad props with links in the text, it's funny because most of my search hits come from something like "gassavers.org grill block," :)

that's kinda funny. Thanks for the links/props. I'm going to start hitting the Honda Fit crowd hard soon. I'm certain we can get a few new members that way.

tomauto 09-18-2006 08:48 PM

I have one of my friends looking, her ford overheated (coolant hose busted from radiator fan) and is dead....so she is looking for a car, I showed her this and craigslist, so she should have something with fe too!

rh77 09-18-2006 10:01 PM

Pimpin

In addition...

Someone needs to generate a bumper sticker, window cling, license plate frame, or whatever that advertises the site on our vehicles. Its a "rolling advertisement" in a variety of markets. I know we talked about it a long time ago...

I also just tell people - or write it down - like if I meet someone on the plane or the personnel I visit across the Country. Every little bit helps.

RH77

kickflipjr 09-19-2006 05:24 AM

We are getting some new people around here. Matt, how busy busy has the site been? is it growing?

I will try to spead the word about the site.

Matt Timion 09-19-2006 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
In addition...

Someone needs to generate a bumper sticker, window cling, license plate frame, or whatever that advertises the site on our vehicles. Its a "rolling advertisement" in a variety of markets. I know we talked about it a long time ago...

I also just tell people - or write it down - like if I meet someone on the plane or the personnel I visit across the Country. Every little bit helps.

RH77

I'm going to get the stickers in process today. I'm also going to get the license plate frames ordered. I found a good place for that.

Matt Timion 09-19-2006 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr
We are getting some new people around here. Matt, how busy busy has the site been? is it growing?

I will try to spead the word about the site.

It's growing. If you notice on the front forum page (www.gassavers.org/forum.php) at the bottom it says how many active users there are. I believe that people people who have visited the site in the last 30 days. Right now we're right around 150. Only 2 months ago we were struggling to get 100 active members.

LincolnW 09-19-2006 10:43 AM

I try to spread the word as often as possible. I have been really busy with work lately so I haven't had much time to post, but I have been using the gas log religiously still.

I am also planning a low boost turbo project. I'm going to track my mileage using a few different techniques. Because I swear that last time I had a turbo setup, my FE went up, but I have no evidence... this time it will be well documented!

Matt Timion 09-19-2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90CivicStandard
I try to spread the word as often as possible. I have been really busy with work lately so I haven't had much time to post, but I have been using the gas log religiously still.

I am also planning a low boost turbo project. I'm going to track my mileage using a few different techniques. Because I swear that last time I had a turbo setup, my FE went up, but I have no evidence... this time it will be well documented!

This is going to be an awesome project. I can't wait to see it.

Gary Palmer 09-19-2006 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90CivicStandard

When you do this, do please keep us posted. This is something I've thought about doing, but I can't hardly keep up, as it is. I have read that if you run a modest amount of boost, you can get better mileage, but it would be great to have something more solid than just word's.

GasSavers_Diemaster 09-19-2006 09:29 PM

i got a link in evrey signiture i have but this one ;) i heven have one on my homepage witch has seen 16 hits in 3.5 years :p

GasSavers_DaX 09-20-2006 04:36 AM

I have links in:

*Every signature on every message board I'm on
*MySpace
*Livejournal
*Facebook profile AND every Facebook Group

Matt Timion 09-20-2006 04:09 PM

Some people have said that they've gotten in trouble for posting a link directly to gassavers on other forums in their signatures.

One great way of getting around that would be to post your gaslog signature block. It's already formatted to be a link, so just copy and paste the code under the graphic and you'll be in business.

argylesocks 11-16-2006 08:16 AM

do you have any image files we can use? like in the gassavers.org font?

GasSavers_TomO 11-16-2006 11:19 AM

I tried to post my gassaver log into my signature on the 5 other forums I visit, but some of those boards cannot display a ".php" file as a picture. It usually ends up just displaying the link to the gaslog as a hyperlink. In those cases I post this: I'm a GasSaver!
Which is a link to my garage here at GasSavers.
Granted it would be much easier if we could have a picture that was linked as a .jpg/.jpeg file so it would be more universally accepted among the other types of forum codes out there.

So that was my $.02 about it.

Matt Timion 11-16-2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO
I tried to post my gassaver log into my signature on the 5 other forums I visit, but some of those boards cannot display a ".php" file as a picture. It usually ends up just displaying the link to the gaslog as a hyperlink. In those cases I post this: I'm a GasSaver!
Which is a link to my garage here at GasSavers.
Granted it would be much easier if we could have a picture that was linked as a .jpg/.jpeg file so it would be more universally accepted among the other types of forum codes out there.

So that was my $.02 about it.

I've been meaning to do this. I originally did the php extension because the JPG and PNG images were cached on people's computers, and often wouldn't update for over a month, even if someone's gaslog had changed.

I do think I figured out a way to fix that though. I'll look into it soon and see if it can be changed.

Matt Timion 11-16-2006 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argylesocks
do you have any image files we can use? like in the gassavers.org font?

What type of images are you looking for? Banners? Etc? If so, I can whip some up this weekend.

JanGeo 11-16-2006 05:15 PM

Two other things Matt . . .

Two gas log entries on the same date get interchanged - my Maine Trip
Cancel out of an edit and it takes you to a protected web page

thisisntjared 11-16-2006 05:34 PM

i threw a link up on myspace, but if anyone comes here through me its probably going to be by word of mouth. i have a couple of friends that read through stuff for theory but dont post because they dont have time.... and i thought my posts were scarce...

ELF 02-25-2007 08:21 AM

I just threw a link in my signature over at KTMtalk.com, they have over 50,000 registered members. I just need to post more often there.
I am also using your the gas savers pump as my avatar there.

https://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtop...&#entry1763470

GasSavers_irsa 06-10-2007 11:14 PM

I'm slipping a few links in around the place.

thisisntjared 06-12-2007 06:40 PM

frankenthread is back from the dead!!!

OdieTurbo 06-13-2007 07:28 AM

Matt:

Did you ever get a license frame made up yet? How about some pics to link here with? :)

Hockey4mnhs 06-13-2007 07:34 AM

yeah i want one of those plate covers!

Matt Timion 06-13-2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTurbo (Post 57180)
Matt:

Did you ever get a license frame made up yet? How about some pics to link here with? :)

unfortunately now. Perhaps now is a good time.

I'm busy working on the blog site though, trying to get it to do exactly what I want.

It's really unfortunate that so much custom programming has to be done in order to make a site exactly the way you want it it to be.

SVOboy 06-13-2007 09:22 AM

I forget who it was, but someone offered to help you with garage programming, I'd let him! :thumbup:

GasSavers_BMac 06-13-2007 11:47 AM

I want to put a decal on my Aero Cap so people just don't think it's just funny looking.:D

McPatrick 06-27-2007 03:11 PM

Have you done any search engine optimization? For example, I think it would good to be found in Google when someone types "saving gas". The title of the index page now reads "helping you save at the pump". This is good for a search term like 'save at the pump". I feel it is more likely however that a search term would be more "saving gas", "how to save gas", "gas saving tips".
Maybe try the index page with "Saving gas at the pump" Or "saving gas at the pump with these gas saving tips".
The index is just one page. The great thing about a forum is that there are many pages that could all be used to be aimed at certain key words you want to appear under when someone is using Google. You could do a rotation system with 20 search terms that are important to Gassavers.org. These search terms could then be added to the title. The title if this thread could read "A blatant plea for help - best gas saving tips". Together with every one of the 20 search terms you make a short text that has the chosen search terms in them. It is just meant for the search engine but to not make it look weird make it readable for readers. Put this text somewhere on top of the page so the spider sees it fast (gives you extra points), like above where you now have the ad to donate to Gassavers.org.
If enough people donated (yes, I am gonna do it as well) you could even think of running a Google AdWords campaign (I'd volunteer for it). That's my 2 cents :)

93dagsr 04-08-2008 05:57 AM

i have it on all my sigs on all my forum accounts!

Ford Man 11-01-2008 07:55 AM

I've posted links on other forums.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-20-2009 01:12 AM

I just mentioned you in my blog! Of course, my blog is by invitation only, so I've got like five readers, but every little bit helps!

ma4t 04-06-2009 08:59 AM

Recommend cafe press

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 26912)
In addition...

RH77

Cafe press lets you design your own marketing materials. T-shirts, bumper stickers, hats, just about anything you can imagine.

M

Ford Man 06-05-2009 10:55 PM

I've placed links in other forums that I'm a member of.