Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Found an old FE book in a used book store..... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/found-an-old-fe-book-in-a-used-book-store-3006.html)

BumblingB 09-22-2006 08:06 PM

Found an old FE book in a used book store.....

The book is from 1956. Discusses MANY of the things said here, neat how 50 years later the same thing is being preached.

EXAMPLE from a chapter called 10 WAYS TO GET 25 MPG:"Drive the Road Ahead"

One of the most effective ways of saving gas is to anticipate the conditions of driving that will prevail on the road ahead and adapt yourself to them. Keep a careful eye on traffic light changes and thereby avoid excessive periods of engine idling and gasoline waste at a red light. Also look ahead to curves and downgrades and let the car brake itself, keeping actual use of footbrake to a minimum.

This book originally cost .35 cents. A really neat book that I'm happy I ran across to go into my automotive literature collection.

zpiloto 09-23-2006 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner
The book is from 1956. Discusses MANY of the things said here, neat how 50 years later the same thing is being preached.

EXAMPLE from a chapter called 10 WAYS TO GET 25 MPG:"Drive the Road Ahead"

One of the most effective ways of saving gas is to anticipate the conditions of driving that will prevail on the road ahead and adapt yourself to them. Keep a careful eye on traffic light changes and thereby avoid excessive periods of engine idling and gasoline waste at a red light. Also look ahead to curves and downgrades and let the car brake itself, keeping actual use of footbrake to a minimum.

This book originally cost .35 cents. A really neat book that I'm happy I ran across to go into my automotive literature collection.

That's pretty cool. Amazing 1956 get 25 miles to the gallon. Most cars don't do that today.

rh77 09-23-2006 07:24 AM

Omg $89!

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto
That's pretty cool. Amazing 1956 get 25 miles to the gallon. Most cars don't do that today.

I love the look on the guys face for an $89 dollar repair bill and the mechanic's just looking like "Yeah, got another one". Today that would be like $500.

To get a 3-ton+, carbuerated, (most-cases) V-8, and with a cD of a recliner to get 25mpg IS amazing. But back then, they:

-Had more manual transmissions
-Less emission regulations for additional power
-Fewer engine-driven conveniences: power brakes and steering, A/C, etc.
-Traffic congestion is much lower now
-But still that's an accomplishment!

I just read in Car and Driver that vehicles haven't changed their FE averages much since after the gas crisis in the 70's. The vehicles are getting bigger and traffic is getting thicker. Some things to fix.

The cars of the 50's could be the equivalent of an SUV today in size, weight, and drag. So, why can't we get closer to that mark? I don't see many SUV people around here...nevermind.

RH77