Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Removing Muffler (good or bad) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/removing-muffler-good-or-bad-3035.html)

kickflipjr 09-26-2006 05:04 PM

Removing Muffler (good or bad)

I heard bunger say that the muffler doen't help fuel economy at all. I was just wondering what you guys think?

btw I can deal with the with the noise.

original post by bunger:

Quote:

With most mufflers designs, the exhaust velocity is going to go to crap anyways, so at very least, don't create a bottleneck. The good part is, that far back in the system, the exhaust gases have had some time to cool and condense, so flow requirements decrease.

In a perfect world you would probably have a total straight tube that very slowly decreased in diameter to maintain the port velocity with a tip that was designed in such a way that the passing fresh air would create a vacuum, and thus lower pumping losses even more.

rh77 09-26-2006 06:50 PM

5-colour Tempo

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher
What about everyone around you?:confused:

Let me get this straight -- nearly every Tempo I've come across has had a rattling heat shield, hole in the exhaust manifold, or the muffler is AWOL -- so your 5-color Tempo is in perfect resonance?

So why didn't you spring for the Topaz? Better re-sale.

RH77

rh77 09-26-2006 07:35 PM

It's the Internet

Quote:

You better give mine a listen before you rush to judgement.

Call me on the phone; I'll go out and start it for ya. ;)

Re-sale?!? Why would I sell? :confused:

Come on, jump into the 21st Century! Get a microphone, record it on your computer and post it ;) We're all dying to hear it :D

Come to think, it would be harder to find 'Paz parts as there were fewer of them. It's just that whole Ford/Mercury re-badging that makes no sense. They still do it today with the Escape/Mariner, Fusion/Milan, Crown Vic/Grand Marquis, Explorer/MKX, Expedition/Navigator, etc. Now Pontiac is coming out with a G5, which is essentially a Cobalt. Make NEW cars already people!

New rule: no more brand sharing. :cool:

RH77

rh77 09-26-2006 07:50 PM

Lol

Quote:

My mic cord ain't that long.

Well, shoot. Move the computer! LOL, I give up. :rolleyes:

Initials and Year

tomauto 09-26-2006 08:06 PM

But some people are fooled by badge engineering, so...why not do it.

onegammyleg 09-27-2006 12:09 AM

A couple of excess noise fines and a forced reinspection of your muff-less car will negate any FE money savings.

GasSavers_Jack 09-27-2006 07:03 AM

My CRX came with a **** muffler so I ripped it off and drove around with out one for a a month or 2. When I finally put the new one on my MPG went up.

Sludgy 09-27-2006 09:43 AM

Muffler fuel economy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
My CRX came with a **** muffler so I ripped it off and drove around with out one for a a month or 2. When I finally put the new one on my MPG went up.

Removing the muffler, installing headers, and/or a low restriction muffler will hurt fuel economy in closed loop FI systems, for a number of reasons:

1) Reducing the exhaust backpressure will allow more air to be sucked throught the cylinders and intake. The ECU will control the air/fuel ratio at stoichiometric, so the fuel rate also goes up. Great for power, but not for economy.

2) Then, because more air and fuel is being burned, the ECU must tighten the throttle. So by removing the exhaust restriction, a worse restriction is added to the intake (at the throttle body).

3) Exhaust systems are "tuned" for a given rpm. Changing the exhaust geometry changes the most efficient operating point of the engine. Reducing exhaust restrictions usually raises the best efficiency RPM, again, good for power, but not good for economy.

Save your neighbors' ears. Keep your stock muffler.

Bunger 09-28-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy
Removing the muffler, installing headers, and/or a low restriction muffler will hurt fuel economy in closed loop FI systems, for a number of reasons:

1) Reducing the exhaust backpressure will allow more air to be sucked throught the cylinders and intake. The ECU will control the air/fuel ratio at stoichiometric, so the fuel rate also goes up. Great for power, but not for economy.

Perhaps, but then you'll be making more power and would require less throttle input and in turn, less fuel.

Quote:

2) Then, because more air and fuel is being burned, the ECU must tighten the throttle. So by removing the exhaust restriction, a worse restriction is added to the intake (at the throttle body).

Unless its drive by wire, thats not going to happen. But you do have a point... if you needed less of a throttle angle, that would increase pumping losses on the intake side.

Quote:

3) Exhaust systems are "tuned" for a given rpm. Changing the exhaust geometry changes the most efficient operating point of the engine. Reducing exhaust restrictions usually raises the best efficiency RPM, again, good for power, but not good for economy.

Save your neighbors' ears. Keep your stock muffler.

Perhaps also, but mufflers are heavy also, never good for FE... and with my 92 HP motor, a cat and resignator in the exhaust stream, my blue CRX is quieter than my silver B18C CRX with full exhaust.

I'm not suggesting everyone go remove their mufflers, but there are things that could be done to the exhaust system to improve FE.

It would be pretty easy for me to add a restrictor to my exhaust system, I wouldn't mind rolling around with it for a week or so to see what the results are, maybe I'll have to eat some of my words. =)

Sludgy 09-29-2006 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunger
Perhaps, but then you'll be making more power and would require less throttle input and in turn, less fuel.

Unless its drive by wire, thats not going to happen. But you do have a point... if you needed less of a throttle angle, that would increase pumping losses on the intake side. =)

I think some new cars ARE drive by wire, at least to some extent. I remember old automatics where the rpms would drop when you went from N to D.

My Ford automatic idles at the same rpm regardless of what N or D, and so does an 07 Camry that I just rented Monday. This can't happen unless the ECU is controlling the throttle to some extent.

Anybody shed light on how much "drive by wire" control is in newer cars?