Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Managing EGR for MPG (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/managing-egr-for-mpg-3070.html)

omgwtfbyobbq 11-27-2006 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toysrme
It's not the failure of said items. It's simply having to do the maintenance in dissisembling them & cleaning them at some point. And that itnerval increasing.
The carbon induced at a relatively high rate from EGR is the prime reason for newer engines with ability to change intake valve timing, and electronic throttle plate control to have replaced EGR systems that "worked" otherwise perfectly fine.

If you really dislike cleaning the EGR/intake port that often, why not swap in a 2GR-FE? In terms of EGR I'm assuming you mean they replaced external EGR systems with internal versions via variable valve timing. :p

Toysrme 11-28-2006 07:10 PM

I don't run EGR on this particular engine. For my uses, it's completely pointless.

And I agree with them completely, because unfortunately for you it's not an estimate. It's what happens. Get your *** on a dyno, or devise an accurate way to show time to acceleration & find out for yourself. It takes at most about a full year to turn an EGR equipped intake black from the plates to the valves when the valve is operating properly. Clean yours, leave the EGR intact. Come back to the post & tell me I'm right next August.

And here's the problem with your bull**** about how long anyone has been a member of any forum... How long someone has been someplace has no ****ing bearing on what they know. I'm a professional technician by trade. You're obviously not, or you'd have know better.

So your head in my ***. Take care of that. :rolleyes:

And guy... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the more you leave that valve open, the faster its going to cake up.

omgwtfbyobbq 11-28-2006 08:36 PM

Hey, guess what, if you make the claims, present the evidence. Do three dyno runs with your dirty EGR/intake, clean the intake/remove it, then do three more. Make sure to video tape it, and post everything here. If you're a professional technician by trade, you shouldn't have any trouble doing this.

At the same time, I'm wondering why you're worried about even a 5hp loss in what's essentially a family car. Yeah... gotta get every bit we can out of a platform that wasn't meant, and is hard pressed to be, relatively quick in the first place.

onegammyleg 11-28-2006 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
Hey, guess what, if you make the claims, present the evidence (SNIP).If you're a professional technician by trade, you shouldn't have any trouble doing this .

Exactly rite :thumbup: , thats what I said .. but hey .. you forgot to say ?drop the school boy attitude?

onegammyleg 11-28-2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

And here's the problem with your bull**** about how long anyone has been a member of any forum... How long someone has been someplace has no ****ing bearing on what they know. I'm a professional technician by trade.

NO , you are a trouble maker , and your on my block list , BYE BYE. :thumbdown:

rh77 11-29-2006 03:34 AM

Quote:

And here's the problem with your bull**** about how long anyone has been a member of any forum... How long someone has been someplace has no ****ing bearing on what they know. I'm a professional technician by trade. You're obviously not, or you'd have know better.

So your head in my ***. Take care of that.

Dude, that's not how we "roll" here. If you're enough of an adult to have an intelligent discussion with someone who has differing opinions, then go right ahead, but don't start insulting them with childish remarks. I think you owe onegammyleg an apology.

RH77

Ted Hart 11-29-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onegammyleg
NO , you are a trouble maker , and your on my block list , BYE BYE. :thumbdown:

"In this corner,..."! Now, now!
I wanted to make a couple of comments, but I've lost my appetite.:confused:

Ted Hart 11-29-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy
I understand why WAI helps fuel economy. Basically, it allows the engine to suck in a smaller mass of air into the engine throught a wider throttle setting. This reduces manifold vacuum, and therefore reduces engine pumping losses.

"Allows the engine to ..."? "smaller mass of air"? "wider throttle setting."?
Then, why don't I understand it? Or you? Or this explanation?

Ted Hart 11-29-2006 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy
So what's the verdict? If I plumb some 3/8" copper tubing from the exhaust pipe to the intake manifold, will I see better mileage?

Copper? This will oxidize very rapidly...creating more problems than you can imagine.

Ted Hart 11-29-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
I wonder what makes higher cylinder temperatures: lean burn, or high rates of EGR.

Lean burn is exactly that...lean! The A/F ratio is higher than stoichiometric, an excess of oxygen. This makes higher combustion temps.
High EGR "rates"... first, let's understand what is meant by EGR. Exhaust Gas Recirculation is nothing more than the dilution of the intake charge (A/F ratio) by spent exhaust gas. This gas may be hotter than the air temp., but it won't burn again! By not burning, it absorbs the heat of what does burn...the gasoline mixed in with the air. No burn = a reduction in temp. of what does burn.