Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Installed 195F Coolant Thermostat ... Reset ECU? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/installed-195f-coolant-thermostat-reset-ecu-3075.html)

cfg83 10-03-2006 01:47 PM

Installed 195F Coolant Thermostat ... Reset ECU?

Hello -

My mechanic just installed a higher temperature thermostat for me. Should I disconnect the battery in order to allow the computer to generate new defaults?

Thanks,

CarloSW2

omgwtfbyobbq 10-03-2006 02:05 PM

Not really sure about whether it needs to be done, but there should be a fuse you pul and leave out for a minute or so (actually more like 30s) to reset your ECU.

rh77 10-03-2006 02:25 PM

I always heard...

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
Not really sure about whether it needs to be done, but there should be a fuse you pul and leave out for a minute or so (actually more like 30s) to reset your ECU.

I always, after every mod folks recommend to reset the ECU. One method is to disconnect the negative battery terminal for a half-hour, or locate the ECU fuse and remove it for a duration (prob half-hour). I usually do the battery, but the drawback is:

1. You lose your radio presets
2. If you have an adaptive automatic transmission, sometimes it has to relearn your driving style.

ECU Fuse: Drawback: finding the right one and pulling it.

RH77

Compaq888 10-03-2006 09:13 PM

Current auto transmission are reset separately. SO resetting the ecu will do nothing to your transmission. Only affects engine. If you want to reset the transmission then reset the tcu.

Matt Timion 10-03-2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
Current auto transmission are reset separately. SO resetting the ecu will do nothing to your transmission. Only affects engine. If you want to reset the transmission then reset the tcu.

Are you implying that the automatic transmission has a mind of it's own? You DO realize that it's controlled by the ECU, right?

Compaq888 10-03-2006 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Are you implying that the automatic transmission has a mind of it's own? You DO realize that it's controlled by the ECU, right?

yes it has a mind of it's own. the TCU is more in charge of the transmission.

Matt Timion 10-03-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Man, the Texas Christian University (TCU) has it's hands in everything, doesn't it?

rh77 10-03-2006 09:43 PM

Ok Data!

Quote:

I need a schematic, link, data, etc. Shouldn't the ECU be the "Boss" over all the control "Departments" and the TCU be the "Supervisor" over the transmission. The boss gets busted for fraud and inefficiency. Turns out the TCU was in on the job. Fire the boss, and the TCU goes down with it.

RH77

rh77 10-03-2006 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Man, the Texas Christian University (TCU) has it's hands in everything, doesn't it?

I knew there had to be a higher power over the automatic transmission! That thing just can't work without some divine intervention.

RH77

onegammyleg 10-03-2006 10:10 PM

Hi cfg83

I dont think its needed to reset the computer.
Within a short time it will have addapted to the new temp.