Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   What should people know about fuel economy? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/what-should-people-know-about-fuel-economy-3152.html)

Matt Timion 10-14-2006 09:25 AM

What should people know about fuel economy?

Lately I've been writing a few articles concerning fuel economy for an online newspaper. They've received somewhat of a good response, but let's face it, most people don't care about fuel economy.

I'm looking for interesting ways to get people's attention concerning fuel economy.

What are some things that people should know? The more ideas the better.

onegammyleg 10-14-2006 09:34 AM

Matt Timion -?I'm looking for interesting ways to get people's attention concerning fuel economy. ?

If people dont get interested in FE when they see instability in the oil producing world , then I dont think even a stick of dynamite under them will get them moving. :mad:

kickflipjr 10-14-2006 09:57 AM

Well lets see. By driving with mpg in mind:

Less wear on the car(tires, brakes). Less chance of getting speeding tickets. It only takes a few more minuets to get to your destination. Less road rage (Possibly, not me though).

omgwtfbyobbq 10-14-2006 10:04 AM

Look at the financial aspect. Over 10,000 miles a 10% increase in fuel efficiency will save someone who gets 10mpg over $200, while someone who gets 50mpg already will only see under $50 in savings. The point being that doing something as simple as changing driving habits can save the average driver thousands of dollars over the life of a vehicle. I also second what onegammyleg said.

MetroMPG 10-14-2006 10:20 AM

For the "lay person", I agree: you need to make it a financial issue for people to take notice.

Though, in the US at least, it seems you can also focus some people's attention on the topic using a security & energy independence slant.

Matt Timion 10-14-2006 10:58 AM

all excellent points... keep them coming. I have a few ideas brewing already.

GasSavers_roadrunner 10-14-2006 03:10 PM

An Inconvinient Truth - the movie

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher
1. Finite supply + ever increasing consumption = equation that doesn't work
2. Emission pollution and global warming
3. Money out of pocket (probably only point that has a chance of getting selfish pigs' attention)
4. Government subsidy of oil industry hiding true energy costs
5. Geopolitical problems- war, death, strife so that American pigs can continue to live in dream world with SUV commuter cars. Of course, bearing in mind equation from point 1, it is a house of cards that will tumble down.
6. Do people want to be part of the problem or part of the solution? Answer: overwhelming majority don't care. Like gammyleg says, people only concern themselves with themselves (and football). As long as they are able to fill their tanks and afford doing so, they really couldn't care less. Yes, the collective stupidity of the masses has made me cynical.

ALL ARE EXCELLENT IMO. :thumbup:

I would add that people should view the movie, An Inconvinient Truth
I thought it was very well made. I looked at the movie parking lot when the movie was showing, and no LARGE SUV's. The drivers of the LARGE SUV's are the ones who need to be watching the film. They need to WAKEUP,
and realize it is time to downsize that Monster they are driving! Global Warming is for real!

zpiloto 10-14-2006 04:19 PM

I'd throw in there also that:

1. Difference of CAFE standards of the US and Europe.

2. 25 MPG is not good and the cheap mods that could be done from the factory. (Belly pan, deflectors, weight reduction, LLR tires, better or more transmission gears/ratios.

3. That bigger is not necessarily safer.

And now that gas prices have fallen drastically good luck. When it was $3.00 gal around here people thought I was, and still am, the mad scientist. All they wanted was the government to fix it without any sacrifice on their part.

mexellent 10-14-2006 05:21 PM

One way to make saving gas exciting is by recruiting people who thing they have "crappy" cars. Like my friend who is driving a Geo. He thought his car was a piece of crap until I showed him this website. Now hes very excited about FE.

When my friends ask me how I can do it, I tell them that driving fast is like playing a sport and driving for FE is like playing tetris. Theyre both fun in different ways.

MetroMPG 10-14-2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexellent
When my friends ask me how I can do it, I tell them that driving fast is like playing a sport and driving for FE is like playing tetris. Theyre both fun in different ways.

I like that comparison.

You should get your Geo buddy on gassavers. We'll whip him into shape!