Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Got new wheels for my Metro! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/got-new-wheels-for-my-metro-3156.html)

BumblingB 10-15-2006 04:10 PM

Got new wheels for my Metro!

While searching my shed for some tires to put on my kid's car I ran across some rims I forgot I had. They have brand new tires mounted on them! I bought them about 3+ years ago at an auction for $30 and stored them then forgot I had them. Just for the heck of it I put an old hubcap next to the bolt pattern and they looked like they matched. Next I pulled a rim off and put one of these on and it FIT!

I have a feeling it won't be to good for mileage, we'll see. BTW, For my kid's car I went to Sam's Club and got some Dunlop tires for $44 each (185/65R14) and they have a treadwear of 500. I'm pretty impressed as they ride decent.

How's it look? I think they look $30 good. :p

cfg83 10-15-2006 05:26 PM

Wazabi -

Wow, that looks sweet! I always liked that style of rim. Did you weigh the difference from the old tire/rim combo to the new tire/rim combo? What is the old/new tire size difference? If the tires are bigger, maybe you will gain MPG.

PS - Will you ever add your Matrix to your garage? I have been interested in real world Matrix/Vibe drivetrain MPG.

CarloSW2

BumblingB 10-15-2006 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher
How's the ride and handling, particularly the steering?

The offset doesn't look good from a suspension wear standpoint but maybe it's o.k.

I think they look great though- $30 was a STEAL!

Don't have a clue yet. The most I've done is drive around in circle in my field and it seems OK - the real test is the ride to work tomorrow.

The same thought occured to me about the offset but they are 7 inch wide while the factory wheels are 5 (I think, not definite). The extra 2 inches is on the outside while the rest is where the factory rested. No rubbing of inner fenders as that was the first thing I checked. I doubt I could put too much more of a beating on the suspension than I already put on any of my cars. I live a few miles down a dirt road and when the county doesn't maintain it, it gets like a washboard. That's what is happening right now.

BumblingB 10-15-2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83
Wazabi -

Wow, that looks sweet! I always liked that style of rim. Did you weigh the difference from the old tire/rim combo to the new tire/rim combo? What is the old/new tire size difference? If the tires are bigger, maybe you will gain MPG.

PS - Will you ever add your Matrix to your garage? I have been interested in real world Matrix/Vibe drivetrain MPG.

CarloSW2

Thanks - I didn't break out the scale as I was excited they fit. I did however pick up the old wheel and then pick up the new wheel and the new one weighs in almost exactly the same. Pretty good since the old ones are 13's and the new ones are 14's - new ones are slightly taller but more of a footprint so I'm interested to see what type of hit I take on mpg. Oh, I'm a pretty good judgement of weight to. I worked a few years at ticket counter in an airport and was normally right on when weighing baggage.

I actually added a Matrix tank last night, the car has been added to the garage for some time but I just don't drive it like I used to. We use it when we need the room of an SUV - grocery shopping, hardware store etc. All my old reciepts are a mess so I'm just going to start new. BTW, I used to have an SW2 too. I take that back, I didn't add a tank! Adding right now!!! Thanks for reminding me!

JanGeo 10-15-2006 06:40 PM

My original Geo tire and rim weighed about 22lbs for the 12 inch tires with a height of about 2ft (dia) . . . I was just thinking I never saw a Geo Metro Jacked up with big tires on them . . .

onegammyleg 10-15-2006 08:01 PM

https://www.codeoneauto.com/gallery/paulskate.jpg

kickflipjr 10-15-2006 08:16 PM

The wheels do look a bit bigger. I like it. Much nicer then stock.

But my mpg side is saying "rotating mass".

MetroMPG 10-16-2006 04:53 AM

Looks neat. Nice wax job, too :)

BumblingB 10-16-2006 03:28 PM

Actually, once people are are in the car (2) it sits perfect. I REALLY am happy with the stance once we're in the car. Remember, I almost always have 2 people in the car as that saves gas too.

I thought it was going to absolutely kill mileage but from the way it seems right now things are going pretty good. I was going to drive the Matrix tomorrow as I have a meeting and people are going to ride with me but I think I'll limit the amount of people at the meeting and just drive the Metro then fill it up with gas on the way home from work and see how mileage ends up. I did a lot more idling in traffic today so that may effect my mileage a little but right now the gauge says I'm doing pretty good. :)

It does seem not to rev as high as at speed compared to riding with the OEM rims. Wish it was a 96 so I could hook up the SGII. Handling is NIGHT and DAY!!! I am VERY impressed, much happier with these wheels. The kids at work seem to like it too.:p

JanGeo - same thing popped into my head when I put them on and I was actually looking at lowering springs last night but since it levels out with load I'm leaving it alone.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Tomorrow we'll see the numbers on how it has changed +/- mileage.

MetroMPG 10-16-2006 03:30 PM

Mmm, but it looks like now you can't put rear wheel skirts on ;)