Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Alternate uses for the scangauge. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/alternate-uses-for-the-scangauge-3198.html)

Matt Timion 10-23-2006 09:19 PM

Alternate uses for the scangauge.

I use the scangauge in it's "gauge" function most of the time. Recently I realized that the honda fit doesn't have a temperature gauge built in. It has a dummy light for hot and cold, but that's all.

THe scangauge II has a tool that displays the coolant temperature, so it's just one of the four gauges that are displayed constantly. While other Fit owners are spending tons of money on after market gauages and sending units, the Scangauage II does it all for me.

Right now I monitor RPM, MPG, Coolant Temp, and MPH. I'm probably going to start monitoring the TPS sensor soon instead of the MPH.

What do you monitor with the scangauge?

cfg83 10-23-2006 11:29 PM

Matt -

I move around depending on what I have been reading here and elsewhere. (always instant) RPM, MPG, IAT, and ?? most of the time. There is nothing better than in instant MPG in Neutral. Amaaaaazing!

I am mostly monitoring the Current Trip, and reseting it for the runs I am concentrating on improving.

Do you get FPR output on your Fit? I don't get that and the manual says it's rare on most cars OBD II output.

CarloSW2

Compaq888 10-24-2006 01:05 AM

TPS, MAP, and MPG are the most important 3.

If I would of had to pick the most 2 that would increase mpg it would be TPS and MPG

JanGeo 10-24-2006 01:23 AM

rpm mph
mpg gph/wt

Just realized I really don't need rpm since I have a tach and now that the engine temp takes longer to get up I may change back to water temp. The gph is really interesting to watch as it seems to relate to throttle position. I asked SG to have trip MPG available on the 4 number display . . . no luck.

psyshack 10-24-2006 05:27 AM

I use all of them but lod. Right now Im set on mpg, gph, fia, map. I switch between gauge and current mpg. With peeks at today and tank.

kps 10-24-2006 09:18 AM

I've been showing air and water temperature (assuming the recent cold weather is behind the drop in mileage on my last tank), mileage, and one other. I prefer the regular analog tach and speedometer.

I'd be interested in an explanation of why I might want to monitor manifold pressure, load, timing, etc.

MetroMPG 10-24-2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo
I asked SG to have trip MPG available on the 4 number display . . . no luck.

I would love that ability. I'm constantly flipping between the 4-gauge and trip screens. Constantly.

GasSavers_Brock 10-24-2006 10:22 AM

same here...

LxMike 10-24-2006 11:53 AM

I use rpm, mpg, water temp and inlet air temp. also switch between screens. i use rpm.s to help keep a light foot on gas and it show on the mpg gauge. water temp to see how quick car warms up. iat to see if it changes much but sometime i switch that one to gph.

rh77 10-24-2006 01:24 PM

ScanGuage settings

My top two are MPG and Speed (the speedometer is always off in any car I drive, and it's nice to see an exact number).

The bottom 2 are IAT and TPS. The TPS is to know how not to trip the transmission into a downshift and the IAT is a curious variable. Sometimes I switch it to Loop on cold starts.

I'm really looking for a useful 3rd gauge other than IAT. I use TPS instead of MAP, and coolant temp usually runs fine.

RH77