Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   The CRX is in (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/the-crx-is-in-3242.html)

hoffmann277 10-31-2006 01:46 PM

The CRX is in

4 Attachment(s)
Just got her in today after a second 2 1/2 hour drive to pick her up. Total driving time: 10 1/2 hours. Extra half hour cause I got lost coming home the first time. What a pain. I was unable to pick it up the first time because I had brought a dolly, and of the course of the time the car had been sitting, aprox. 2 months, both the passenger side wheels were locked/frozen. The guy fixed the problem, he worked at a Kia dealership, and I made a second journey up and that ends the story of the tedious trip to get my CRX.

MetroMPG 10-31-2006 02:17 PM

Nice. Have you decided if you're doing the VX engine swap, or sticking with the HF motor?

budomove 10-31-2006 03:43 PM

that's a lot of drivin, but a nice car you got there!

Matt Timion 10-31-2006 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Nice. Have you decided if you're doing the VX engine swap, or sticking with the HF motor?

THe more I think about it, I do believe that a rebuilt HF engine would be very easy and could provide nearly the same results as a VX motor...

and it'll be super easy and cheap to do (relative to the VX swap). If I had a CRX HF, that is exactly what I'd do.

Then again, this isn't about me... it's about hoffmann277. Whichever route your take, there are more than enough of us to help guide you through it.

Compaq888 10-31-2006 07:56 PM

What motor is in the car now? Usually an aftermarket exhaust indicates a modification to the engine. Possibly an engine swap.

hoffmann277 11-01-2006 12:57 AM

Original motor I believe. I'll take picks of the engine bay in the morning. Brand new full exhaust, new headers, and a cold air intake appear to be the only mechanical "upgrades." It also has fiberglass(I believe) driver's and passenger's side front wheel wells. Wonder how much weight is saved there. Pics of those too in the morning.

Oh, and I'll be sticking with the HF engine for now, that is of course assuming that I fine the block in good condition when I tear it apart.

I'll just be replacing the head gasket. I talked to a Honda mechanic today in his opinion he'd replace the piston rings and the rod bearings while having the engine torn apart like this and with the mileage this car has (210K something.) I'll test the compression hopefully tomorrow and see where it goes from there.

LincolnW 11-01-2006 08:32 AM

Great find! It looks to be in pretty good shape too. I'm sure with a little TLC it will be a great gas saver.

About the rebuild: don't pull the slugs out unless you really need to. No need to replace the rings and bearings unless it really needs it. I see too many people spend lots of money on rebuilding engines that don't really need it. I'm a fan of just driving it until it REALLY needs it. lol

Matt Timion 11-01-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
What motor is in the car now? Usually an aftermarket exhaust indicates a modification to the engine. Possibly an engine swap.

uh, are you serious? An aftermarket exhaust usually indicates an aftermarket exhaust.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the junkyard looking at these old cars with aftermarket exhausts, shaved door handles, custom paint, custom interior, etc., only to find the stock engine in there.

That exhaust is more about looking tough than actually being tough.

hoffmann277 11-01-2006 10:18 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Well I will be sticking with the HF motor if it runs fine after the gasket change then. Do you really think though that it could match the VX's engine Matt? I commute 30 miles to work, I would have thought the lean burn for my sort of traveling would give the VX engine the edge. At the moment though, no matter what I'll be sticking with the HF motor if it runs fine after the gasket change for the funds are low at the moment.

Thanks for the advice Standard, I decided not too also because I don't know what other problems it might have. Maybe if I feel like being nice if she runs alright.

The pics though, here we go. You may oogle now, ordered the service manuals, you may gawk then.

MakDiesel 11-01-2006 10:31 AM

That's a D15B6 throttle body all right, anemic and proud...And who's 280 is that in there as well? Any info on it? (I used to have 2 Z's ('72 240z/'81 280zx) til my first college tuition bill...then it became Honda CRX/Hatches...I'll eventually have both again) Nice find on the CRX, Mak