Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Acetone (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/acetone-3284.html)

GasSavers_lane 11-08-2006 01:28 PM

Acetone

ive been using acetone for months with great results mpg went from a norm of 26-28 up to 30-36 mpg it definately works and makes my car start faster and run smoother.:thumbup:
does any one else have any expirience with using acetone???? i would like to know.
1-3 oz per 10 gallons gassoline
1-2 oz per 10 gallons diesel (bio or petroleum)

SVOboy 11-08-2006 01:43 PM

Search the forums, there are several threads on it. I saw no effect.

What car do you have?

GasSavers_lane 11-08-2006 08:39 PM

i drive a 92 geo storm, maybe the gas your using contains ethanol? because using ethanol blend gas will neutralize the increased efficiency .

SVOboy 11-08-2006 08:46 PM

The gasoline I used at the time did not.

You should be aware that I do not believe in acetone. The science isn't there, and neither is the empirical evidence, as far as I'm concerned.

tomauto 11-08-2006 09:16 PM

I wish it were just that easy...IF it was, than it would be in the gas already...

This same subject is what brought me here...but alas, it cannot ever be better than driving techniques.

kickflipjr 11-08-2006 09:21 PM

What do you think about it cleaning the injectors? I think that may be one advantage to acetone. If the car has clogged injectors puting some acetone in every few tanks MAY help.

I saw no real results when I used it. I have seen no results in anything except for driving style and conditions (of couse I don't have a sangauge so I can't test enything...)

onegammyleg 11-08-2006 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr
What do you think about it cleaning the injectors? I think that may be one advantage to acetone.

Thats my theory too.
This would explain why some get benifits and some do not.
I have posted about this before.

Down side is that acetone will eat injector O rings and rubber hoses (if fitted)

zpiloto 11-09-2006 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Thats my theory too.
This would explain why some get benifits and some do not.
I have posted about this before.

Down side is that acetone will eat injector O rings and rubber hoses (if fitted)

I think it helps a tiny bit but my theory is that when people start to use acetone they are trying to get better gas mileage thus change driving habits. I've have not seen any data from anyone with instantaneous FE feed back that has shown a gain or show data proving a gain.

jamescartagena 11-09-2006 07:53 AM

I've been using Acetone and other "additives" for 2 years now and it works great on both my vehicles. 97 Ford F150 (average 2 mpg increase) and 92 Saturn (average 5 mpg increase). My last five tanks of gas average slightly over 40 mpg. That's with an automatic where the best I could get before trying acetone on this car was 35 mpg. Last fillup I didn't use any additive in the gas and mileage went back down to 35. It works for me and I'll keep using it. So far have used 3 gallons in the past two years in the family's three vehicles and not one problem except better gas mileage.

MetroMPG 11-09-2006 08:00 AM

It's great that you're getting good fuel economy, but tank to tank results are not a good basis to authoritatively assert that something "works" or not. There are simply too many variables at play.

I've also yet to see a properly controlled test showing beneficial FE effects of acetone.